Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Geotechs/Geologists/Civils – Eurocode 7.
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I know there are some rock jockeys on here.

Been logging away merrily to BS5930 and BS1377 for years. Current project requires logging to Eurocode 7 / BS EN ISO 14689 – 1:2003. We are in the process of moving over to this standard but not far enough along to issue logs im happy releasing.

Has anyone got any example sample descriptions (both cohesive and granular) that they can show me to give me a clue as to the difference in description format between BS5930/Eurocode 7?

Ive got the standards here and the 'decoding…' book but neither actually shed any light on to the descriptor order.

i.e. is it: Strength, Colour, minor soil fraction, major soil fraction, plasticity (in cohesives), Gravel descriptor?

Also under 14688-2:2004 4.4 plasticity – based on liquid limit and plastic limit is divided in to
    non,low,intermediate and high plasticity – however there is no classification in % wL & % wP for these terms.

Any clues?

Kit
    Free Member

Any clues?

Nope 🙁 Up until they made the admin staff redundant here about 4 months ago, folk were still expected to hand write/dictate reports for the 'typist'. We're a loooooong way off Eurocode 7.

At 29, I'm comfortably the youngest in the office, my immediate colleague being 69…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I'd be interested in this too, as I'm still logging to 5930 and not yet been asked for new style eurocode logging.

I thought it was BS EN 12457 that detailed the new logging requirement, or is It 14689?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

BS EN 12457 is Waste classification i believe.

Eurocode 7 is based on BS EN ISO 14688-1:2002 'Geotechnical investigation and testing – Identification and classification of soil
    – part 1 identification and description.
    – part 2 Principles of classification

&

Eurocode 7 is based on BS EN ISO 14689-1:2003 'Geotechnical investigation and testing – Identification and classification of rock
    Part 1 – Identifiation and description

However these documents are about as clear as mud.

There is no examples of complete sample description. An nothing to associate the strength terms to N-values or kPa. Only a table of granular densities classified by density index iD% and cohesive consistency by 'consistency index'

Baffled.

neilforrow

Still using 5930 here…

I went on a 3 day Eurocodes course, and came out with more questions, all I know is there will be a lot more investigations in the future.

O_H_H I have got some sample descriptions from the course notes, I will dig them out… but TBF i think the way it is going the 5930 language wont change much… it is the testing (as you pointed out) where the the changes will happen.

I didnt think the Eurocodes 7 part 2 has been released yet? where did you get your copy from?

and who do you lot work for.?.

neilforrow

edit – I guess you are using the 2007 draft ?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The copes of the Standards just came from the BSi by the looks of it.

Eurocode & is meant to be fully rolled out by march 2010.

The sample descriptions are much the same with the exception of both silt and clay descriptors are allowed to be used simultaneously to describe fines (i.e silty CLAY / clayey SILT) and the introduction of a plasticity term from hand tests (High/Low). However that are no quantifying terms for the consistency and density terms it use in part 2.

If you have anything regarding the Eurocode course that would be useful.

Cheers

neilforrow

cool… will dig them out when I get home…

If I remember correctly the Casagrande Plasticity limits still apply, it is the names applied to the different limits which have changed (depending on what country you live in)

WildHunter2009

Hi, i'm generally a forum lurker more than a poster but as i'm writing up a log I thought i should post. I'v logged to BS5930 and EC7 and to be honest in terms of field logging theres not much in it. Being able to use 'ish' for colour eg greenish brown is dead handy though. Also actually being able to use silty clay / clayey silt etc. Things like the grain size limits have changed a wee bit but hardly makes a difference. I dont have much to do with testing or anything so not so certain on changes there sorry.

dave

AndyPaice
    Free Member

"and who do you lot work for.?. "

Freelance Eng Geologist doing mostly site manager / RE work for Contractors/Consultants in GI & Remediation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Geotechs/Geologists/Civils – Eurocode 7.’ is closed to new replies.