Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • George Clarke's Amazing Spaces
  • Harry_the_Spider

1. Liked the converted ambulance.

2. Thought the artist’s egg was beautiful but I bet it cost an absolute wedge.

3. Looking forward to the tree house.

4. Me and Mrs S think that George’s builder mate has done was to many recreational drugs in his youth.

righog
    Free Member

I am very much looking forward to seeing this on catch up. But I am trying not to get my hopes up too high as last time I looked forward to a TV program I was very disappointed (Kevin McCloud’s Made made home part II)

retro83
    Free Member

Ambulance looked great. Think their sums were a bit out though, once you factor in insurance, fuel, camping fees, maintenance, MOTs etc it’s still going to cost a fair old whack to run on top of their investment. Also the rear ‘double’ bed didn’t look much fun and there didn’t seem to be 6 people’s worth of storage space! Very handsome thing though.

4. Me and Mrs S think that George’s builder mate has done was to many recreational drugs in his youth.

Yep, and George himself looks baked half the time.

robdob
    Free Member

One of my close friends is on it soon!

xcgb
    Free Member

I liked the ambulance but it peed me off when they kept saying how brave they were to take it on.

Nooo they weren’t “taking it on” they paid someone else to do it for them with money borrowed from Dad

why is that brave!

Harry_the_Spider

has done was to many

= has done way too many. Gah. It was early.

George himself looks baked half the time.

I think his eyeliner makes it look like he has fried his mechanism.

muddyground
    Free Member

Liked the ambulance too, but did wonder what happens when the kids grow a bit, they need to actually take stuff with them or go further than a few beaches in Norfolk, or when Mr and Mrs want to get, ahem, jiggly – or indeed if he actually wanted to sleep in that thing. Reliability will be amusing. Bet a tent is involved somewhere. Loved the fact that they didn’t just go out and buy a 200,000 mile builders’ T4 though, and were very creative in what they did. I can see them getting a lot of fun out of that thing.

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s a lot more fun than Grand Designs – the egg was beautifully made, but I didn’t get it. There are no windows, is he just going to sit inside and paint the walls all year?

pictonroad

I think I had to put the egg down to being an “artist thing”. I enjoyed the mechanics of the build but I didn’t really get it. It looked great from the outside but the bit he could see was all ply spars, epoxy and cabling.

As a camper aficianado I was prepared to hate the ambulance but theythe interior fitting company did a splendid job.

They’ll sell it though, there’s nowhere near enough floor space for 6 people and the reality of stuff everywhere on a wet day isn’t quite the flowers in a vase dream we saw on screen. Plus, 50mph (tops) and say 18 to the gallon on a good day will get wearisome.

Should have cut an access in the bulkhead for the dog to sleep in the cab and the front seats could have folded to make 2 extra tables.

I wouldn’t like to have any sort of impact in it though, especially in the back. 😯

sweepy
    Free Member

Any crash is going to be low speed tho, but I reckon the novelty will wear off pretty quick, way too small.

DrP

£13k for that camper.
    Kitch, yes….but you could have gotten a ‘better’ (More modern, reliable, larger) vehicle for that price – yes, it wouldn’t be an old knackered ambulance…but…at least it wouldn’t be an old knackered ambulance…

DrP

ianv
    Free Member

I can see them getting a lot of fun out of that thing putting it back on ebay pretty quickly once they realise how impractical it is.

LoCo
    Free Member

fried his mechanism.

😆

colonelwax
    Free Member

I thought the camper van was horrible, a Kath Kidston/Fat Face catalogue wet dream but rubbish as an actual camper. Don’t get me started on them being “brave”.

6 people and a dog in that space? There’s a good chance they’ll poison themselves with the amount of farting going on as they sleep off their meal of organic lentils accompanied by the sickening sound of a Coldplay/Mumford and Sons megamix.

Egg was cool though.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I live just up the road from the Exbury Egg.

Ambulance was mental, why on earth didn’t they spend some money on reconditioning the engine rather than fixing bits when it broke??

Why take on something like that when neither of them had any DIY or mechanicing skills! I would have been all over that engine stripping as much as I could to get it running sweet.

The stuff that piled in the back was okay but sooo cramped for 6 people and a dog! the bed for the adults looks awful.

Nice idea terribly implemented.

jamj1974

Nooo they weren’t “taking it on” they paid someone else to do it for them with money borrowed from Dad

This! They were bloody tiresome!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Good program but like someone said yday on the grand designs thread George is a bit sickly nice …. “Wow I really like that” he said to the lady after she showed him a cupboard (that didn’t even have a shelf)

The Egg … What could have been!! Couldn’t help feeling that it was wasted… the inside was rubbish… cabling, fire extinguisher, general mess that is an artist studio … shame, wonderful object and the boat builder gentleman was ace… brilliant posh voice 😀

Looking forward to seeing more of the mirrored tree house, that does look like it’s there

sneakyg4
    Free Member

I have to be honest and say that I thought the camper was a total POS, I would rather sleep in a wheelie bin.

It was very obvious who was wearing the penis in that couple.

The tree house they viewed was beautiful however, I could live in that full time.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Any crash is going to be low speed tho

Hmmm, 50mph + vehicle coming other way at 70mph? That’s not slow speed – why I made sure I got a full set of proper seatbelts in the back of mine.

Anyway, stoppid – I recorded 2nd half, had to break off to make ‘last day before half term fancy dress costume you can wear to school’

ads678

Yeah didn’t quite get the egg, beautiful and a fantastic structure but why not just get a boat!

The ambulance was ok, but again why ‘they’ would buy that thing I don’t know. They missed a trick not removing the fiber glass roof a fitting glass or some kind of clear perspex, the sky lights looked shit.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

“The holiday starts when you get in the van”

Good thing really, because it’s not going to make it past the end of the driveway very often.

miketually
    Free Member

I like the programme and the idea, like Grand Designs and Man Made Home, but some of the people on it are a bit wearing.

Anyone else think that it would be a better programme if it just showed what George’s stoner builder mate did day-to-day? Or the ginger Guy Martin/Wolverine/Wurzel from Man Made Home?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Or the ginger Guy Martin/Wolverine/Wurzel from Man Made Home?

Coffee on keyboard! thanks Miketually!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Love the programme – last series was ace too. Ambulance was good but where were they going to have a poo? The mirror finish ‘tree house’ looks bloody amazing from the outside.
    Every time I watch these programmes I think I should build something in the little ‘wooded’ bit we’ve got – then I remember I have no money 🙁

rewski
    Free Member

Apparently George is an architect… why aye man… will ye stop reminding us!

Ambulance will become a damp infested money pit, her dad will never see a penny of his money.

Harry_the_Spider

The van would make a great mobile beach hut. Wouldn’t want to spend the night in it though.

Rio

The peak wtf moment for me in that programme was the guy with the fish tank in his cellar made out of some glass and welded steel he got cheap. Couldn’t help feeling that he may have made the house a bit of a hard proposition to sell, never mind the problems if it sprung a leak. 😯

dooosuk
    Free Member

The tree house stuff is all based around a Swedish hotel:

http://www.treehotel.se/?pg=rooms

Harry_the_Spider

When the cameras aren’t there he fills the tank with jelly and gets some hookers round.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

When the cameras aren’t there he fills the tank with jelly and gets some hookers round.

I don’t think it’s that normal. Did you see the candles positioned around the top of the tank?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dear God, last night I was actually shouting at the TV when this programme was on.
    Now normally we sit down with a bottle of wine and observe George et all hack out good from bad in a confined space, however..

The Ambulance was a crate and didn’t change much. They could have boought a T5 and kitted it out for £7.5k like most normal folk do.. if it had “Kitch” and “Exclusivity” then all we saw was Death carried in the rear for most of it’s life.. Certainly not wher I would put my Kids and I thought they were bloomin Hippies…
    The Tower in Scotland, yet another Planning pisspot half cocked attempt by Planner to accept buildings that lay in rack and ruin should be give first options to decent Architects interpretations and not bleat on about “keeping it in with it’s surroundings and what the building was originally for” I’m sorry but we don’t have wars anymore.. morons. And as for the 1960’s prefab extension the couple fitted toit, it sure makes a mockery of Planners.. pathetic.
    The Round Tower in Kent, ok so it’s a lovely spot but it needed modernising, a roof, which she could enjoy blowy 20knt days and open private space, again Planners are dumb idiots and she should have got rid and made EngHerritage refurb it.. pathetic.
    As the the Egg, it’s the only piece worthly of praise, subtle, elegant, in keeping with the environment, beautiful..

George is starting to grate now, but at least he got heated when explaining Planning/Architectural issues to dumbass Clients..

Grrrrr.. We finished our wine with a helping of indegestion.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

The tree house stuff is all based around a Swedish hotel:

http://www.treehotel.se/?pg=rooms

Such a cool place … the only problem staying in one of their rooms is that you can’t see the tree house from the outside when you are actually in it.

But someone could film an amazing horror/thriller/sci-fi movie there.

onehundredthidiot

Ambulance just won’t work for that family by next year. The space was 9×6 assuming adults bed was 4 foot wide doesn’t leave kids a lot of room. That fibreglass roof is likely to collapse under the strain of its own rot.

olddog

I liked the egg too, beautiful bit of woodworking and just the right amount of bonkers.

The van was too twee for me, and thise solid would tables fixed in front of kid travel seats looking a bit dangerous. Wouldn’t have bothered me if they hadn’t said it was to save money. Plenty of cheaper ways to do that and have more space, nice big tent, trailer tent, second hand caravan to name three. Nothing wrong with doing something which is style over econimics, but lets not pretend eh?

George gets on my tits mind, too nice!

wrightyson
    Free Member

My mrs said of the “double bed”
    “We’ll they won’t be making any more kids in that bloody thing”
    Loved it tho! Reckon itd be more suited to four people tho.

IdleJon

sharkbait – Member

Every time I watch these programmes I think I should build something in the little ‘wooded’ bit we’ve got – then I remember I have no money

Same for me.

Then I remember that we don’t have a wooded bit.

Or any money.

miketually
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member
    Every time I watch these programmes I think I should build something in the little ‘wooded’ bit we’ve got – then I remember I have no money

I’ve got the space, but not the money or the time.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘George Clarke's Amazing Spaces’ is closed to new replies.