Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Geometry – Is it big enough? Please help.
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Dear STW Geometry People

I have no idea about the black art that is bicycle geometry. My query is, given I am 6ft 2+1/2 with a 36 inch inseam, is the following mtb frame big enough for me? For general trail use.

Effective top tube 625mm/24.6″
    Seat tube length 508mm/20″
    Head tube length 120mm/4.72″
    Head tube Angle 70
    Seat tube angle 73.5
    BB Drop 68mm/2.7″
    CS length 432mm/17.0″
    Fork Length 480mm
    Fork Offset 45mm
    Standover 800mm/31.5″

Any help much appreciated.

davosaurusrex

What are the reach and stack figures?

andykirk
    Free Member

That’s all the figures the manufacturers give Davo.

Poopscoop

Ok,I’ll ask the necessary. 🙂

What bike/frame is it mate? Also year if buying second-hand?

angeldust
    Free Member

I’m a similar height. Based on my ‘look at the effective top tube length and ignore the other numbers’ method, I would say that should be pretty much okay, perhaps a tad on the short side by modern standards. Will be fine.

andykirk
    Free Member

Vassago Jabberwocky 29″ new Poop.

Poopscoop

Hi again,

Did you get the Vassago frame you ordered back in early Spring mate?

andykirk
    Free Member

Oh lord I just realised I asked this same question months ago! No it’s the same bike Poop!

God I am going simple in my old age.

nickdavies

Looking at those numbers i’d say it was a smidge short for me and about right in the leg – 6’2 and 32″ inseam. You must have well long legs for your torso to be 36″ inseam.

Demo but I reckon you’ll be about right on the reach, you’ll have a good amount of seat post so maybe swapping bars for some risers, you might be a bit ‘XC’ otherwise.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I think he will be VERY XC with 70deg HA anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d worry it might be a bit short TBH.

Just comparing to the Cotic Solaris (as I own one) it appears to be shorter than a large, which I’m pretty sure would be too short for you anyway.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve also got 36″ legs, the proper 20″ seat-tube means it still in the game, numbers-wise.

the other stuff is sort of up to you, but at least you’ll be able to get the saddle to a sensible height.

i’ve attempted to estimate the reach on the jabberwocky, and i reckon it’ll be around 450, maybe 460mm… which is enough really.

Poopscoop

andykirk – Member
    Oh lord I just realised I asked this same question months ago! No it’s the same bike Poop!

God I am going simple in my old age

Lol no problem, know how you feel!

Have you actually got the frame now bud or are you deliberating which size to order? 🙂

deepreddave
    Free Member

Similar proportions here and my experience is that with longer than average legs and inbetween frame sizing you are much better choosing the smaller bike than the larger to avoid being overly stretched out. That said they don’t appear to do a larger frame so it’s make the L fit or buy something else. Suspect you’ll be fine but best to try a built up bike if you can given your xl legs.

Rorschach
    Free Member

i’ve attempted to estimate the reach on the jabberwocky, and I reckon it’ll be around 450, maybe 460mm… which is enough really.

I’d put it nearer 420-430 (geo is broadly similar to my El Mariachi/Dirty Harry/Unit/Mamasita).
    With an 80-90mm stem and a setback seatpost it’d be ok for me as I’m a similar size as you (not quite as long legged though).

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d put it nearer 420-430

Me too.

digger95
    Free Member

Snap on height and leg inseam! Agree above comments reach is the key measure, not sure on mine accurately:
    Scandal v1 XL
    620 ett
    Whyte t129
    610 ett
    Fit both with a 120mm fork and 75mm riser stem + riser bars. This makes bars approx same height as saddle therefore a comfortable position, fairly neutral spine when seated. If your ‘general trail use’ is more about fast corners & descending then you would probably go for a smaller stack / flat stem to lower your centre of gravity.

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks guys…. I shall proceed with purchase.

Digger…. what ‘rise’ is a riser stem these days?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Geometry – Is it big enough? Please help.’ is closed to new replies.