Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Genuinely underrated bands
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

It’s a horridly overused phrase, most times i’ve heard it the band in question are usually pretty well known and enjoyed by everyone present.

There seems to be a natural order in how bands find and gain mainstream popularity (urgh), but, occasionally a band just doesn’t get the recognition it ‘deserves'(?).

I’m off to see Augustines play in Brighton soon, and as a live energetic and uplifting act they are pretty much second to none in my experience. Perhaps not at the top of the underrated charts, but I think more people should know about them.
    But then, i’m rather a fan of anthemic sing-along-and-hug-a-stranger-guiter-wall-of-noise music.

Who’s yours?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Wannadies for me – I know The You And Me Song is very well known after it got onto the Romeo & Juliet soundtrack, but they had done and subsequently did so so much more than that. Their last album, Bagsy Me is still one of my favourites.

Northwind

There’s a Frank Turner line I really like, “We are respected, but we’ll never be famous” 😆 Lots of my bands are respected.

They’ve been occasionally fairly succesful but for some reason Mull Historical Society/Colin Macintyre always defaults back to playing to 100 people. But they’re always among the best shows I’ve ever seen.

Kind of hard to pick out one track, this one’s a sequel to Barcode Bypass and doesn’t quite work right by itself but still
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PjFUugqMw[/video]

Or David Ford, if you want to make him angry by suggesting he should be bigger 😆 Not the best State Of The Union ever, didn’t quite attain full sonic hell at the end, but it’s a gig I was at so **** it.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ymr0NGB7BA[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

Genuinely underrated bands
    Who’s yours?

Queue a list of fairly successful bands.

Pigface
    Free Member

Hoodoo Gurus

The Damned

brassneck

Blyth Power – intelligent pop punk folk with a historical bent, and songs about trains. They’re ace live too.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Little Angels

Thunder

zippykona

THE Wolfhounds. Ignored by everyone for the last 30 years.
    [video]https://youtu.be/EHIjWBeviT4[/video]

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Split up now, but Oceansize should have been massive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Perchy speaks sense.

Two of the most entertaining bands live.

Danny79
    Free Member

The Computers great band seen them 4 or 5 times now in past few years always great live.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbm80hplLM[/video]

As far as I know they’re not big, hard working though so maybe they’ll make it bigger.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yo La Tengo, great band, great live, cult following, loved by critics, yet no one’s ever heard of them!

cokie

The Cat Empire
    The Skints

seosamh77
    Free Member

Seen a band at the weekend, Future of the left (formerly Mclusky(ish)) cracking band, should be bigger.

in other news, first time I’ve been to a gig in that new st lukes place in the barras, good spot and good sound in the hall. 🙂

cokie

Seen a band at the weekend, Future of the left (formerly Mclusky(ish)) cracking band, should be bigger.

I accidentally saw them at Reading festival a few years ago. Just wondered around some tents and stumbled across them playing ‘Beneath a Waves an Ocean’. Epic. I’ve listened to them ever since. They are pretty big though, considering the genre.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Anyone here a fan of Do Me Bad Things?

not that they were particularly underrated – just trying to gauge forum taste 🙂

Also, any Secret Machines fans here?

vinnyeh

Alabama 3.
    Dandy Warhols.

tazzymtb

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing

bloody brilliant loons, fantastic Live, where else do you see a bloke in a pith helmet with a pink beard playing a saw, accompanied by a death metal cross dressing stand up comedian, singing cockney punk sea shanties in a steam PUNK Victorian era referenced, anachronistic stylee about Cthulu eating grandma at Margate, Queen Victoria raising albert as a Zombie, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, masturbation causing insanity and GIN!

3rd Album has just received a lot of critical acclaim and they are on tour at the moment. Genuine eccentric British stuff that is just a joy to listen to.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

The Milk

http://www.thisisthemilk.com/

One of the few bands who music I’d actually pay for. Sadly not touring anywhere near me at the moment.

ChrisL

I strongly second both David Ford and The Computers. I appear to have agreed to go see Madness in August mostly because The Computers are supporting them.

Not so sure about Alabama 3. They seem to have done fairly well for themselves at times and I’ve enjoyed them a lot but their last few albums haven’t worked for me. They’re plugging the forthcoming album as a bit of a back to basics so maybe that’ll bring me back into the fold.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cokie – Member
    They are pretty big though, considering the genre.

aye, fair comment I guess. was a cracking gig, place was bouncing. 🙂

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Jason and the Scorchers

stumpy01

Joining in partly so I can fire up The Spotify later & listen to some of the bands mentioned – always looking for decent music I’ve not heard before.

I often say it, but for me, The Wildhearts are a massively underrated band.
    Easily the band I have seen the most live & always have a great time. Admittedly, I’ve moved from being right down the front & bouncing away, to standing a bit further back cupping a cold beer and singing along but I love their music and energy all the same….

lucky7500

THE Wolfhounds. Ignored by everyone for the last 30 years.

+1 I saw David doing a solo set a month or two back largely made up from the upcoming album. It’s sounding pretty good!!

I’ll add Darren Hayman to the list as well.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Incidentally, I’m just happen to be having a day of listening to loads of African music via google radio stations today. It’s an entire genre that’s underrated(from our perspective). Standouts so far are; Femi Kuti(afro beat), guess his da is quite famous. Some Tuaraeg music by an band called Tinariwen, and current listening to a mob called Mbongwana Star, which is Congalese music.

The beats, in particular, and the music is tremendous! More people should explore it. 🙂

colournoise

Belle and Sebastian. Masters of the craft of songwriting.
    The Guillemots / Fyfe Dangerfield.
    Mega City Four.
    Scroobius Pip.

skaifan
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Member
    Split up now, but Oceansize should have been massive.

I see your Oceansize and raise you Kong. Seen them a few times and they were mighty. People just looked like they didn’t know how to take them. They played with future of the left a few times and are one of the few bands that can match them live. Gone very quiet though.

cokie

Scroobius Pip.

+1

And his work with Dan Le Sac as ‘Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip’

ChrisL

It’s pushing it to call them underrated because they’ve had some massive successes, particularly in the US, but while seeing The Heavy in poky little Oran Mor at the weekend I was thinking that stadium-sized audiences should be joining in with songs like Big Bad Wolf and What Makes a Good Man?

Northwind

jimjam – Member

Queue a list of fairly successful bands.

You can be fairly succesful, and still underrated.

edlong
    Free Member

As predicted early on there’s many suggestions here of bands that have hardly slipped under the radar – didn’t Little Angels sell out the Albert Hall for their farewell show?

(Not knocking them btw, saw them live a few times and liked them)

Wildhearts is an interesing one – Ginger certainly has the knack of writing a catchy hook and with a bit less swearing and heroin could probably have been massive, but it always seemed like he didn’t want it – whenever they appeared to be on the cusp of massive success, they’d fall out with the record company, fire a member or two or just split up for a bit. I came into the thread thinking “Wildhearts” but equally thinking that someone would have beaten me to it..

So, since we’re clearly good to go with bands that have been heard of, had hits etc. I’d say, in this country at least, Jane’s Addiction. Some cracking records, widely considered by numerous well respected musicians back in the day to be the best live band out there bar none (sadly, not so hot these days) and also considered by many of the same to be the ones who blew the corporate rock-by-numbers doors off, made “alt-rock” as it was then called a thing, and thereby set the stage ready for the early 90s “grunge” explosion.

Imploding just as they were becoming massive did them no favours in terms of the collective memory, and some less than marvellous work since the inevitable reunions hasn’t helped either (and some very iffy solo output from Perry Farrell), but Ritual de los Habitual and Nothing’s Shocking are two of the best albums of the last 30 years imho.

and +1 for Scroobius Pip albeit again, he actually does seem to be quite well known, a surprising number of my friends and acquaintances are aware of him, and he does get a bit of radio play here and there.

lucky7500

I remember reading a piece in a music magazine years ago pretty much saying that the official answer to this question is Arcade Fire. I think it was just after The Suburbs had come out. They were playing some huge gigs but apparently even the staff at a lot of the venues had no idea who they were!!

Coyote
    Free Member

Another vote for The Damned. The Black Album and Phantasmagoria are seriously good works.

Garbage. Fantastic band, never got the aclaim they were due.

Euro
    Free Member

I’m resisting the temptation to make up a list of unsavoury words/phrases and pretend they are real bands. Saying that, i’m a big fan of Thalidomide Octopi.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m with seosamh77 re Afro-beat in general, it doesn’t get anywhere near enough airplay on commercial radio for my liking and it truly is irresistable IMO. Check out Antibalas too, they are amazing.

+1 Tinariwen, seen them live a couple of times.

My quick list of UK bands I love but hardly hear played or mentioned in proportion with their awesomeness:

British Sea Power

Thumpermonkey

Knifeworld

And worldwide (if not underrated then definitely the most under-appreciated)

Magma (stand-out, truly unbelievably awesome yet off most radars for the last four decades, I was 32 before hearing them)
    Josephine Foster
    Naibu
    Gas (Wofgang Voigt)
    Cornelius
    Destroyer (Dan Bejar)

Here’s Thumpermonkey (video NSFAnyone):

[video]https://youtu.be/YBT-UhVYpVg[/video]

chubstr
    Free Member

Me, nobody likes my album “A Mouthful of Chubstr” – a 3 hour rant at a seagul backed up by a peruvian acoustic bass guitar quintet

Failing that, +1 for Yo La Tengo, and my current personal favourite, Wussy

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0jNr6_sS8Y[/video]

mafiafish
    Free Member

Lucius are pretty awesome, took my dad and sister to see them in Leeds before Christmas and they subsequently got the ferry to Belgium to see them the following weekend. Loved their cover of The Kinks’ “Strangers”.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKH0-dV4n9k[/video]

RustySpanner

Oooh, another Blyth Power fan.
    🙂
    I think that’s three of us on here now.
    😀

Most underrated band?
    The Astronauts.
    The Beta Band.
    And The Beatles.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Indiana and Rag’n Bone Man are two that jump to the front for me.

barney
    Free Member

Baffled that no-one’s mentioned Cardiacs yet – I know there are a few Pondies in here apart from me:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka0boB28wUo[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Genuinely underrated bands’ is closed to new replies.