Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Genuine Ladybower route question
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

Now that we have a little mountain bike “group” together, breaking out of the comfort of trail centres is a distinct possibility.

However, I am originally from the North West and my little clan could get lost in a Tesco bag, despite living in the East Midlands for 30-40 years.

Anyway, fancy our first forray into the “wilds” and Ladybower seemed a good idea as you should not get lost (keep the water on your right / left).

1) Is it a good idea
    2) Is there any markers or planned routes we can follow
    3) Is it OS map time

Thanks in advance

matt_outandabout

1) Yes, it is an adventure.
    2) Not really markers, but plenty of routes online to view and download.
    3) Yes, but it is fun to learn how they work. Get a coaching day in nav, as well as a ride at Ladybower?

flyingmonkeycorps

Plenty of good route guides out there for Ladybower, and some awesome rides. Might be worth hooking up with someone local (is there a Pootle in Feb?) who knows their way round if you can do.

simon1975

The bridleways are all big obvious tracks but you’ll definitely need a map to find your way round. Most of the bridleways are signposted, but there are a couple of junctions where you’ll need to choose which track to take. You won’t be able to see the reservoirs at all times.

There are loads of planned routes available online, try something like this:
    http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Viewer.aspx?id=538

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Do it. Ladybower has a good selection of trails and a variety of ways of stringing them together. Even better, you’re never too far from civilisation if it all goes wrong. It’s a great place to start if you’re coming from trail centre riding. I strongly recommend this guide book for inspiration.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d start in Edale, then as long as you can find the path to Jaggers Clough it’s a fairly straight line via the Beast and Screaming mile to Fairholms. You can then either do an out and back allong Cut Gate (tireing), or the cuthroat bridge loop (easy) and back allong the road to Hope, quite a long road spin, but it’s that or repat the hill’s you’ve just done in the opposite direction, then do the Broken road and Mam Tor to Edale, requires a modicum of navigational ability but take your time and always question your decisions, especialy if you’re caught thinking “the map seems wrong, it must be this way”, it never is, you’re just on the wrong bit of the map!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon, I might have mis-read your route description, but it sounds a bit convoluted – especially for newbies – considering the volume of trails within the Derwent Valley that involve very little road and no repeating of route in either direction. Also bear in mind “The Beast” and “Screaming Mile” will mean very little to someone who doesn’t know the area and those names are certainly not on a map nor on any signposts. I’ve ridden around the Peak District for years and I don’t know what the Screaming Mile is (although I could probably guess from your description).

“the map seems wrong, it must be this way”, it never is, you’re just on the wrong bit of the map!

Very true 😆

MarkLG
    Free Member

I guess by the screaming mile you mean the Lockerbrook Farm downhill to Fairholmes??

No offence, but the above route sounds a bit of a stretch for this time of year, especially if you’re new to the area and stopping to check your route as you go.
    As a first ride out I’d look at starting from the ladybower, upto Hope Cross, down to the A57 (locally known as the beast downhill – YouTube it). Turn left and Go along the road a short way, then right up the farm road/ bridle way to Lockerbrook farm. Long downhill to Fairholmes and brew, then around the other side of the reservoir. You can either loop back round the reservoir to your car, or there’s another steep bridle way on your left that goes upto Winstone Lee Tor, and carries on over the hill, and back down to the A57.
    All rideable even in poor weather, and you’re never too far away from your car, so you can cut back along the road if needed.
    There’s loads of good riding around here, and some of the best natural trails in the country, but don’t make the mistake of trying to do them all on your first visit.

vinnyeh

Just buy the guidebook stilltortoiose recommends, when I first moved up that way it kept me going for a good while. It’s got os mapping in it now instead of the hand drawn stuff they used to use- makes navigation a bit more conventional.

MarkLG
    Free Member

Another vote for the guidebook – it’ll give you a better feel for the routes and what maybe within you capability than just looking at lines on a map.

bigdean

When you thinking of doing it? Might be able to help out if you want.

paulx
    Free Member

Some routes here on the Peak District NPA website

nickhart
    Free Member

Personally nothing could add to mattoutandabout. Is it not the spirit of our sport, to get to places never seen and then to get to the pub and laugh about the bog/sheep poo/river crossing/flats (add multiple here)/running out of jelly babies and getting cramp.
    That’s how it was for me, that’s how it will be again someday.
    Remember have fun and the weather can and will change.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It’s pretty straightforward – guidebook and a map should see you right.
    If you are in any doubt there’s always folks about to ask at a weekend.

fathomer

Plus 1 for the guide book above, I bought myself one last year and think it’s great. I’d also buy the dark peak OS map, OL1 from memory.

Have a look at this thread I started nearly a year back, there’s some great advice in it. I ended up doing this route on my own, which was the first time I’d ever done a ride in the peaks and managed to navigate it without to many problems.

ljs1977
    Free Member

Thanks all, I have just dusted off the old white and dark peak books, plus a trip to the library OS section.

Bigdean many thanks for your offer, if my lot could organise p up in a brewery I would take you up in that but it will be a decide in the morning thing with us.

Cheers guys, ill let you know how we get on, if and when

flyingmonkeycorps

MarkLG’s route is a cracker, nice and compact but with lots of fun bits. I’d avoid Whinstone Lee Tor at the mo though, it’ll be a bogfest and the bridleway down to the pub is hateful when wet.

To make it even more compact (but still three good descents) I’d suggest parking near Fairholmes VC, ride up the road to Hagg Side car park and up the fireroad there, turn right at the top and follow it along then head down Hagg Farm switchbacks to the A57. Straight over the road and down to the river, over the bridge and turn left. This brings you to the bottom of the Beast (or Fluffy Kittens), but don’t go up it, head through a gate and follow the fireroad along the reservoir. Turn right up the signed bridleway after half a mile or so (steep and wet!) then keep heading up through the gate and through the woods till you come out onto a ridge, this is known as the Roman Road. Turn right and follow it to Hope Cross and take the obvious bridleway on your right. This is the Beast. Follow it to the bottom where you forked off before and retrace your steps to the A57. From here you can either go up the rocky switchbacks you came down (I’ve seen it ridden once!) or left along the road, turning right uphill at Rowlee Farm. These join at the top – turn left if you came from the farm, and just keep heading in that direction past Lockerbrook Outdoor Centre and up a bit, then down to the road. Turn right and follow it to Fairholmes!

thepodge
    Free Member

Its all fully covered in snow at the moment & as above WLT is a mess

stumpytom
    Free Member

Following this thread with some interest as a group of us are heading up to Hope in two weeks time, aside from the next couple of days the weather is supposed to brighten up and not rain so hopefully the trails will dry out a bit – or is that just wishful thinking?!

flyingmonkeycorps

Most of it’s fine when wet to be honest, it’s just when it’s under a couple of feet of snow or frozen that it’s not so good. There are a couple of bits (Whinstone Lee Tor as above) worth avoiding in the wet, but it’s mostly rocky enough to be weatherproof.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The only bit’s i’d avoid are Winstone lee torr/ladybower inn/cuthroat bridge, it’s a bog at the moment and cut gate, but that’s not been suggested (although from Langsett would be easy to navigate the out and back!)

gsp1984
    Free Member

You should do this route as a good introduction to the peaks

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/141926839

I bet there is plenty of people that would show you around, I’d do it but I’m not very fit at the moment lol

stumpytom
    Free Member

gsp1984 – that does look like a winner and I think I might use that for the Friday afternoon. Hope to do something slightly bigger on the Satruday.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Lond is hard at this time of the year… but if you want and epic, try this one

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/153248253

no record times were set on the day we did it

another option is the mamtor / jacobs ladder classic, this entire route (except the intitial mamtor section) is dry and rocky

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/164861351

antigee

gsp1984 – Member

You should do this route as a good introduction to the peaks

like that average temp 32degF!

gsp1984
    Free Member

Ha, my favourite time to ride if it’s not windy.

Winter 2011 was epically dry and cold, shame about summer 2012.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Genuine Ladybower route question’ is closed to new replies.