Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • gents hub geared work bike……idea's?
  • ton

after a lot of years using my tourer to commute to work on, i have decided i need want a specific commuting bike.
    sick of the constant daily clean of said tourer to keep it running wee as it is a bike used for leisure too.

so, hub gears, full mudguards, a chainguard would also be nice.

idea’s please.

kilo

Decathlon do a three speed hub gear one for under £300 and have traditional Dutch style bikes for a bit more

StirlingCrispin

Elephant Bike:
    https://elephantbike.co.uk/

£250 for an ex-Royal Mail bike with one being donated to Africa.

PS: Good decision. Treat yourself to a hub-dynamo and you’ll never look back.

Gotama
    Free Member

Canyon

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

snaps
    Free Member

I’d buy a secondhand Rohloff a fit it to a frame of choice, I’ve just rebuilt mine into a cheap Chinese carbon hardtail after my SC Chamleon cracked last year – 2700 miles a year for 5 years & still good as the day I bought it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

pelago bristol.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I went with a Roadrat Alfine for a similar brief.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d buy a secondhand Rohloff a fit it to a frame of choice,

This sounds like a good idea, where from and how much? There doesn’t seem to be any on ebay. I’m guessing that they hold their value pretty well too! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

I built mine up using a Surly Troll frame. No chainguard but a bash ring has stopped my legs getting oily! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

If your commute is flat-ish I’d consider an IKEA bike. Look really nice and have a very strong looking built in rack. Nice guards, belt drive, two speed automatic hub.

the00
    Free Member

How far do you need to go?

I bought a 2nd hand post bike for £50, which I’ve done up and had powder coated. I wouldn’t want to get anywhere is a hurry on it, but it’s fine for up to 5 miles.

nach
    Free Member

Cube do some Alfine commuter bikes with 35-40mm tyres. I got a belt driven one, put some full mudguards on it, and it’s perfect for going to the shops in any weather without worrying much about maintenance.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ That Smithfield is a beaut. Nice twin-top-tube, just looks well-sorted.

+1 for the Nexus on there. Already have a Nexus-equipped (Dutch) cruiser/town bike, and it is both a flawless workhorse and a beautifully smooth, quiet ride.

Whatabout a Dutch?

Batavus Dinsdag:

Batavus Quip:

benp1

How far is your commute? And is it hilly?

Dutch bike might be a good commuter but they’re quite heavy and quite upright for a long commute

epicyclo

benp1 – Member
    How far is your commute? And is it hilly?

Dutch bike might be a good commuter but they’re quite heavy and quite upright for a long commute

Weight is over-rated. It’s ok if it serves a purpose, and solid mudguards, full chaincase etc are not light.

It is quite possible to do long rides on them because they roll like you wouldn’t believe.

I’d go for the Pashley myself, but the upright position and bar position takes a little getting used to, however it all makes sense once you’ve ridden one long enough.

shermer75
    Free Member

If your commute is flat-ish I’d consider an IKEA bike. Look really nice and have a very strong looking built in rack. Nice guards, belt drive, two speed automatic hub.

The racks are sold seperately, which may be a good thing as they don’t look like they accept panniers

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea-family-products/bicycle-bicycle-accessories/sladda-bicycle-grey-art-30326733/

Andy

Another disc trucker with an 8 speed transmission 😀

RustySpanner

VSF TX1000:

linky

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A word of caution on Dutch bikes with all possible accessories: fit/spec them very strong tyres (eg marathon plus) because taking all that crap off to get the bleeding inners off is a nightmare. While you’re at it, you may wish to ditch the Woods valves for Schrader.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘gents hub geared work bike……idea's?’ is closed to new replies.