Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Gentlemen, it's your Sunday morning vasectomy thread…
  • lister

So, as of Tuesday, I will be joining the ranks of the snipped. Which, I am sure, will be barrel of laughs…I have 2 questions:

Is planning a ride for the following Sunday being too optimistic? I know we’re all different when it comes to pain, I’m not great with it so might it be too soon?

Also, should I present myself on Tuesday morning, umm…full/ripe/unmolested/ready or empty/drained/slack/relaxed?? If you know what I mean…there does’t seem to be any mention in the pre-fun literature.

Cheers chaps, any other advice or horror stories greatfully recieved!

Harry_the_Spider

Sunday might be a tad optimistic.

wrightyson
    Free Member

From what I’ve read previously I think you may be being optimistic on a ride of any kind that soon after….

bruneep

Pretty sure they didn’t offer a draining service when I got done. Why would you need to?

Forget Sunday

bigblackshed

Can you elaborate on:

…full/ripe/unmolested/ready or empty/drained/slack/relaxed??

I could do with a laugh. (Slow morning at work)

lister

🙂 I was planning on doing the draining myself…I’m sure the NHS service would be fairly rudimentary!

I’ll cancel Sunday, go to the pub instead!

globalti
    Free Member

You’ll be standing at the bar!

Alcopop
    Free Member

thats a bit ambitious for a first ride i was out the saddle for around three weeks no problems and everything healed quite quickly never received any advice on a pre op “ham shank” i just arrived shaved shrivelled and terrified …surgeon strolled in whistling “the first cut is the deepest” the joker… oh how we laughed..I didnt laugh ,best of luck im sure someone will be along shortly with no end of horror stories

bruneep

Take a kids swimming ring to sit on at the pub

Do a search for images on Google and see the aftermath.

Harry_the_Spider
    fatmax

I’m in for the snip in the next month or so…let me know how you get on!

lister

Thanks for that, Mr Spider.
    I think I might avoid google images though…

matt_outandabout

May I suggest:
    Shave.
    Leave your pride at the door.
    Have an empty bladder – it was a tad chilly when they ‘reveal’ all to the breeze, the cold plays havoc with a full bladder.
    The conversation between nurse and doc was everything, but the job in hand (so to speak).
    If the doc is struggling for tube No.2, do not allow him to send you home ‘half cock’ (his words, not mine). Once I was there, last turkey in the shop on display, I was damn well going to see it through. It did smart a bit when he did dig in for tube No. 2.. 😯
    Make sure you have some loose fit pants for the journey home.
    Allow a few days of doing not a lot.
    I removed my own stitches, as I could feel that they were ‘tight’ and causing more pain than the ‘internal work’.
    😆 or you will 😥

Harry_the_Spider

Take a book so you don’t have to watch daytime TV in the waiting room.

The snip itself doesn’t take too long.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Running about a week later (in v tight pants), and on the bike for gentle road rides around two weeks afterwards. This was with no infections (which can happen 😯 ) or complications. Sunday is extremely optimistic, imagine if you smacked the boys on the nose of the saddle…

Wasn’t given any drainage advice, beyond the “empty them xx times before the post snip tests”. Followed the shaving/VEET advice though.

As someone said above, not especially painful. Worst part? The smell of bacon as they cauterised the tubes. Take an iPod and zone out for the duration.

EDIT: Female doctor and female nurse for me – and as someone else said, leave any pride at the door, and hope you don’t know the staff personally

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It feels like a kick in the nuts for a few days, nothing more.

avdave2

Whatever you do don’t leave the clinic and get on a bus home only to discover that it’s also happens to be the school bus!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Why do people go down this route ?

scandalous
    Free Member

that reminds me – must book in!

although with my ‘wants’ ride list for next year it may have to wait until after BB200 in October!

prawny

Got mine 11th January, can’t wait 😕

Thought winter would be best, won’t miss much good riding and the house is always full of whiskey after Xmas.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had mine done yesterday !

Op was pretty quick – 10-15 minutes, then a short consultation, pay the rest of the bill (£402ish at Marie Stopes), fill in a questionnaire, and have some custard creams and tea whilst they check you are OK. I had no after effects so they let me go shortly afterwards.

Spent most of the op talking x-factor with the nurse (not that have watched this year) whilst the doctor gave me two doses of local anesthetic (one per side, just before working on each tube), checked that I could hardly feel anything, and then filled the room with the smell of burning flesh.

He only made one small incision and must have been able to get to both tubes through it. No stitches were done. Today I have some black bruising on one side only and some inflammation in the center by the cut.

I asked the doctor realistically how long should I wait to get back on the bike and he said 2 weeks plus.

The advice I had was to wear tight fitting pants, and I took another pair along with me to wear home and for the rest of the initial 48 hour recovery period (although not necessarily the same two pairs), during which I have some gauze padding in there. Then for the next two days I have some other small dressings, so I assume that it will be healed by then (no showers/baths allowed for 48 hours).

First test for clearedness is not until the end of March!

Then came out of the surgery to see a RTC with a 50+ cyclist sitting on the kerb and a mini parked a few meters away…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and the house is always full of whiskey after Xmas.

not supposed to drink alcohol or take aspirin for the initial recovery period as it thins the blood. Forgot to ask how long for though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My cut is something like this :

obviously that is not me, my balls are a lot bigger…

tazzymtb

Oh bloody hell..that’s put me right off my poached eggs on toast !

maxtorque

Anyone else (male) squirming in their chair whilst reading this thread?? 😉

lister

Never has a thread NOT needed pictures!

Ah well…I’m sure it will all be fine.

bearnecessities

*throws up*

prawny

TurnerGuy – Member
    and the house is always full of whiskey after Xmas.
    not supposed to drink alcohol or take aspirin for the initial recovery period as it thins the blood. Forgot to ask how long for though.

I’m thinking 30 mins tops 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Rickos
    Free Member

Chap at work came out of his snip operation as half rice, half chips. They’d not used enough anaesthetic so called it a day after the first snip. He went back 2 or 3 weeks later to finish the job.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Here are some guidelines to help you during the healing process:

Wear sensible, non restrictive, clothing – it might be helpful to wear some firm underwear until it feels more comfortable.

Avoid heavy lifting and vigorous exercise for the first four weeks.

Avoid alcohol, driving and machinery operation for the first 48 hours (particularly after a general anaesthetic).

Bath regularly but don’t scrub with soap and flannel. Pat dry.

Don’t be surprised to have bruising and swelling for a few days after the operation.

If you have had a general anaesthetic, don’t be surprised if you feel sick for a few hours afterwards.

yunki
    Free Member

Is this the right thread to ask about how long to leave my teabag in for?

scandalous
    Free Member

*decides against it*

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

gordimhor

Sunday seems very optimistic, baggy shorts or of course a kilt would be a good choice of clothing 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t risk a week or so. My sister is here because my fathers vasectomy failed…

househusband
    Free Member

I’m a week on from my groin injury and even now I can still easily easily beat the bruising and swelling in any of TurnerGuy’s pics..

eskay

I left it for two weeks before riding again.

Spent 24hrs after with my feet up to try to reduce risk of swelling. Wear supportive pants (not boxers) for a week.

No need to shave and I guess the other pursuits you mentioned are up to you!

Good luck.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Gentlemen, it's your Sunday morning vasectomy thread…’ is closed to new replies.