Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gentle tracks near Glasgow
  • gwilson
    Free Member

My girlfriend has recently brought a bike, we went down to Glentress this Sunday and after a couple of laps of the Green loop she wanted to try the Blue, after 15 mins or so she wasnt to happy so we walked back down and returned to the Green. This is the first time in 20 years she has been on a bike and by the end of the day she was actually going round the green more confidently and gaining some speed.

Are there any suitably gentle tracks closer to glasgow we can ride? She wants to gain confidence before heading for a blue again. She is very fit but just lacking confidence.

Cheers

WackoAK
    Free Member

You can try the purpose built tracks in Pollok park in the southside, there is a green, blue and red route.

Xan
    Free Member

Mugdock park in Milgavie or try the canal path. I am sure the Carron Valley run that goes round the water is open now as well.

J0N
    Free Member

Where are you based?
    Best thing for new cyclists is just ride about on a sunny day picking out the odd challenging line on technical feature but keep it chilled and recreational before leading on to more specific cycling days.
    The Kelvin riverside path is a gorgeous rarely known ride. Nothing technical on path but there is opportunity for ‘organic urban'(landscaped land 😉 ) riding: small steps, bridges, short steep slopes etc. Also has the opportunity to stop off at pubs & parks.
    Canal and loch Lomond route also. Dawsholm park (at top of kelvin path)

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

ditto previous suggestions.

I think the windfarm up at Whitelees has some cycle tracks, but I´ve never been.

Depends how far you want to drive but from Glasgow you’re only 40mins away from Callendar, Aberfoyle, Loch Lomond & Arrochor

J0N
    Free Member

Not to contradict anyone but some times it is better to introduce a bike as an all round activity for fun, transport, experience, rather than a specific sporting activity, especially to girls who aren’t quite as obsessively focused as guy. I’ve found with several people, but most girls, that the best way to get them biking is to show them how much ground they can cover in a short time and where bikes can get them that they would not normally considering walking. Its sometimes best just to spend time on the bike adding in fun elements as the person gets more comfortable and familiar with the bike. Doing it this way also increases the opportunity for to get out on the bike rather than waiting for a single day to drive some where cycling specific and increasing the pressure to perform.
    In saying that all the above places

Callendar, Aberfoyle, Loch Lomond & Arrochor

are lovely locations.

gwilson
    Free Member

Cheers for the answers guys, Im in Muirhead between Glasgow and Scumbernauld. We also spend a bit of time mostly weekends at Rhu.

allyharp

On the lines of fun, maybe something with a tearoom/pub stop could help with that? There’s plenty around Mugdock, which has a tearoom. There’s a nice flat path from Strathblane to Kirkintilloch which passes nearby a tearoom at Clachan of Campsie. Can easily link that up with the canal from Kirkie to go past the Stables pub.

Along the West Highland Way path the Beech Tree Inn isn’t far from the start, but there is a bit of a rocky descent she might not be comfortable with yet.

Xan
    Free Member

what about Drumpellier Lochs. Not far from Muirhead. think its only about 10-15 minutes in the. Strathclyde park and Chatlerhuaut in Hamilton (think thats how you spell it) are also nice tame runs.

skidartist
    Free Member

Its worth just getting fit, familar and comfortable on the bike first. So I’d put some time and miles in on some of the quieter roads and sustrans routes. The sustrans route from Aberfoyle to Callendar as mentioned above is worth a bash, off-road but you could drive your car along it. Quite hilly for a new cyclist though.

Further from home the Blue Route at Mabie is all fire road (or was when I was last there) and only seems to be graded blue rather than green because its pretty long

doh
    Free Member

Quite a few miles of trails around Palacerigg country park all the main tracks are on the easy/very easy side and a wee bit more interesting than just bashing along the canal. You could also try the Glen mile in cumbernauld glen, purpose built to get people into mtn bikes it is pretty small but should let your GF step up her skills without too much drama.

Also some newbie friendly biking at Callender park Falkirk.
    As you are from Muirhead i presume your girlfriend is actually your sister/mum/auntie 😆

gwilson
    Free Member

Doh,

Im English trying to prevent even more inbreeding taking place :mrgreen:

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think the windfarm up at Whitelees has some cycle tracks, but I´ve never been.

Not at the moment it doesn’t. Well it does have a few fireroads and some motorway wide spine roads for the windfarm but no worth going – yet.

A bit out of your way but how about Cathkin Braes – plenty of nice singletrack for the inexperienced and more interesting stuff as skills develop. Same with Pollok Park – some lovely stuff in there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gentle tracks near Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.