Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Gensis IO owner question(s) – help pls!
  • DT78
    Free Member

Anyone point me in the direction of where I can buy the little bolts that are used to help tension the chain? It would appear one side are rounded…

And bonus qestion – Any easy ways of using them? I'm finding them very fiddly to fit an allen key in there, so I'm currently breaking the chain to get the rear wheel off – is that what other people do?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

i find that if I pull on the wheel after loosening the axle bolt I can then twiddle the bolt in question by hand – you only need to do it on the drive side anyway – then you can get enough slack to take the chain off the chainring.

I am going to put something on the bolts to make it wasier to turn by hand

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Those bolts appear to be made of cheese – I'd get some proper tugnuts for when the inevitable happens. As well as being a lot stronger they're less of a faff to adjust in my experience.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DT78
    Free Member

I was thinking about superglueing a wing nut to the top of the bolts so you could do it easily by hand.

Thought it looked a good design when I got it but it;s turned into a right faff

monkeychild
    Free Member

I took mine out as they are rubbish!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I took mine out too. But if you want a set then you need to get your Genesis dealer to order 997093 for you.

singletracksurfer

just ordered myself one (through a bike shop that stock genesis)

just discovered that ickle wickle screw costs £5 though!!!

The other is bloody rounded and bent so stuck in there at the moment. arrrghhhhh

DaddyPig
    Free Member

I dropped genesis an email re this. they are looking at sourcing some hand adjustable alternatives

nsaints
    Free Member

take them out they're rubbish and use a chain tug
    I used the on-one's tug's but had to to buy some longer screws from a hardware store

MikeWW
    Free Member

Ditto the chain tug
    The bolts are a waste of time

Mister-P
    Free Member

That should be £5 for a pair of them.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Rounded and bent? Yep, done that! Needed to take the blade out of a hacksaw, fit it together around the stays, saw the bent bit off and then unscrew the bolt using needle nosed pliers – an hour of my life I won't see again!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I've only got one drive side but have trashed several pairs.

I've got some DMR chain tugs but won't fit as my current chain is too short for them. I'll fit them eventually. lol

james-o
    Free Member

We are working on a larger, stronger bolt for future shipments. I have 2 flyers and an iO, in 4 years i haven't bent a screw – it's only for axle position guidanmce and if the axle bolts are done up tight the axle won't slip and the bolt's won't bend. any info on how they are getting bent is useful – let me know enquiries@genesisbikes.co.uk – is it axle creep in use, or loosening bolts?

just ask your friendly dealer to ask our warranty guy nicely and i'm sure they'll do them asa warranty job )

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I was tightening the bolts to allen key bending torques and it was still slipping slightly. As a result I was probably over tightening the bolt to compensate and it lasted literally minutes.

Whilst you're here though – do you sell the saddle fitted on the io as an aftermarket item? It's the most comfortable I've ever used and want another for my other bike.

Betamax
    Free Member

James – In my experience the adjuster bolts usually get bent adjusting the chain with the wheel securing bolts too tight (obvious) or too loose: The chain stays spring apart slightly and adjuster rides off the end of the axle. If used used carefully they are no bother. Never had a wheel slip either. Will post some pictures of knurled adjusters I made when I get a chance.

GaryLake
    Free Member

James YGM

GaryLake
    Free Member

It's the most comfortable I've ever used and want another for my other bike.

+1 – in fact, now the Genesis logo has worn off it's actually gone on my Orange Five! 🙂 It was wasted on the iO given I'm stood up 90% of the time!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I have threadlocked two nuts against each other at the end of the bolt and pressed a schraeder valve cap on over them. The tugs can be adjusted no problem like this. I've done it on some customers' bikes too and have had no issues…

Mister-P
    Free Member

There are no black iO saddles left now unfortunately 🙁

james-o
    Free Member

saddle – it's a Velo 1205, we chose a simple cover without any stitching, the basic shape is the same one that Charge and a few others use, we've always used it as it seems to suit so many people. I can never figure out how Velo make so many great saddles for men – almost the entire staff there are women!

Screws – if you use them to lever or tension the axle they may well bend, they are simply for positioning the wheel only. The axle bolts are what holds it all in place, tugs can back that up if you feel they're needed buit we've never used them / needed them. Some green iO ID's in 09 had excess paint and i know slippage was caused bu the paint thickness, but honestly i've never had an issue on my flyer or iO.

we're looking for a more Paul's style end for adjustment ease w/o tools, maybe a size larger bolt with bigger allen head for strength, but anything like this will bend if the wheel is loose or you try to force the axle along with it. we're not the only ones using this system – how do people find the angled screws on the Cotic Simple, or other droputs using an inline screw?

Blower
    Free Member

recomended chain tug's?

james-o
    Free Member

dunno sorry i don't use them! )

DMR, Primo, ID/Ison? Any that fit a 9mm axle and flat-ended dropouts, so I'd expect that most BMX and DJ tugs will work fine – BMX's tend to use 10mm or 14mm axles though so that's worth checking.

GaryLake
    Free Member

As mentioned, I've got the DMRs and in principle they look just the ticket. However, I can't fit them yet because my chain is too short (they go in but can't do the axle bolts up properly and the chain is too tight)

I'm really not due a new chain so they'll stay in the parts bin until then.

Betamax
    Free Member

Made these – less fiddly. I put the hex on so I could judge 1/6 of a turn.

DT78
    Free Member

Betamax – That looks spot on.

What bits do I need to buy and where from?

Betamax
    Free Member

Made them on my lathe – just showing off :D.

Dibbs
    Free Member

We've got 3 iO's at work the adjusters are seized on all of them, and I'm the mug that'll have to fix them when I get some time (or when some ****t falls off because the chain's got too slack) 🙄

Mister-P
    Free Member

That is some nice work Betamax. I like the colour co-ordination.

DT78
    Free Member

Betamax any chance you fancy making a couple more for a fellow IO rider? For a nominal fee of course….

Betamax
    Free Member

Sorry DT, there is perhaps more work than you realise to make such little trinkets(six different machining operations), it's just not economical. Unless you want 100,000 or so then you could get them made in China for a few pence each.

On a more helpful note, a 4mm x 35mm(ish) Phillips head screw with a nut locked against the head is much easier to use than the standard grub screw.

singletracksurfer

just got my replacement screw – £5.89 for one flippin screw – and its much shorter than the original, so doubt it'll work. 🙁

which of the on one tugs do I need?

DT78
    Free Member

No problem betamax, just thought if you happened to want to make another I'd be a happy customer 🙂

I'll be popping down b&q tomorrow then….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Long ball-head allen key.

But yes – chain tugs are the way forward.

citizenkane
    Free Member

Fundamentally poor design. I suffered with the paint issues on my IO ID but this wasn’t my main concern.

I had 2 main problems with this system, if you flat on the trail you need a tiny allen key to wind back the drive side to get some chain slack to remove the wheel and because of the angle the no turn washers hold the flats on the Alfine axel the screw doesn’t react normal to the flat.

With the paint removed I still didnt like the idea of having to wind out this screw every time the wheel came out and then resetting the chain tension again so I made a quick release tugnut.

The tugnut is made from stainless steel, the tab is much deeper than an Alfine washer and allows a length of M5 studding to be screwed and loctited into place. The bar has a shallow groove that locates around the dropout and a nylock nut keeps the adjustment correct for refitting.

All you need to do on the trail is undo the axel nuts and theres normally enough slack in the chain to skew the wheel over and turn the bar 1/4 turn and allow the wheel to slide forward to release the chain.

DT78
    Free Member

Ok so I put yesterdays afternoon to good use. I don't have access to a lathe so had a bit of a look in the spares boxes and came up with this in the end –

Very chuffed – really cheap and easy to make –

All you need is a pack of machine screws & nuts from B&Q (I went for 4mmx50mm pan head) costs £2.89 (for 10) and 5 valve nuts from presta inner tubes)

Pretty straight forward, thread the presta valve nuts onto the screw then tighten the nut after it, takes 2 minutes. I was going to superglue it but it seems fine. You could probably get away with smaller if you wanted but this is perfect for my thumbs.

Shame it took me nearly an hour to get the original bolt out. (in the end I superglued one of the spare nuts onto it and used pin nose pliers)
    I've left the non drive side bolt for another rainy afternoon.

Hope this helps some of you other guys out there! And thanks to those guys who posted pics of their solutions it gave me ideas on how to sort it.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Great – very neat solution 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Gensis IO owner question(s) – help pls!’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts