Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Genesis Tarn Top Tube Length?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone any saddle time with the rigid Tarn 10

My mate’s looking at one and the ETT’s are mahoosive

Small: 621/24.5
    Med: 647/25.5
    Lrg: 672/26.4

Genesis describe the Tarn as ‘Long and Low’ but not sure how that would translate to a rigid bike

Cheers

bonesetter
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crew

bonesetter
    Free Member

Any thoughts at all on the bike anyone?

rollodes
    Free Member

A freind was on one last night. It was a medium which is wht he noramlly rides and he loves it. It felt pretty “medium-y” when i took it for a spin (I ride a large). He had the black and orange rigid one. it’s very nice and quite light for the money. Heartily remommended, sized as you would normally.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks, good feedback

bonesetter
    Free Member

It just looks like far too much top tube.

The XL is ~700mm/27.5″ on the rigid too which in my book would put a lot of the rider’s weight over the front – hardly a good thing for a rigid?

STATO
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member

It just looks like far too much top tube.

The XL is ~700mm/27.5″ on the rigid too which in my book would put a lot of the rider’s weight over the front – hardly a good thing for a rigid?

You realise your supposed to run a shorter stem to compensate the length right?

singlespeedstu

Get them to call into Bache Bros and try one out for size…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Damn – didn’t know Bache were Genesis dealers

He’s pulled the trigger now (last night) on a medium

STATO – sure. The bike is specc’d with a stubby DH stem, and looking at reach and stack figures, things don’t seem so alarming as those ETT lengths

STATO
    Free Member

The Tarn has a 72 seat angle too, so that will add extra length to the ett, which is why its such a crappy figure for sizing given you’ll put the saddle in the same place by sliding it on the rails.

Im 6ft4 and only XL have ever given my much reach.

My previous trail bike had a reach of ~430mm, ran it with a 110mm stem usually.
    Current one is ~450mm reach, run with 80mm stem.
    My fat bike is an XXL with 467mm reach, I run it with a 70mm stem.

If I was to get a tarn (or high latitude, sell the frame separate Genesis!!!) id probably just get the Large as it is on the long side, but then this is the first time im not just automatically looking at an XL 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

It’s weird, and I’m the first to admit my limitations of understanding bike geometry… but

I am 6’3″ and ride two rigid bikes – a Trek Stache and a Stooge (don’t know why I’ve ended up with two similar bikes)

Stache is ‘XL’ with a reach of 480 and I run a 60 stem
    Stooge is, well Stooge size (23.5″ ETT) reach 427 and on that I run a 70

Crazy thing if I measure seat post centre (at the saddle, which is in same place on both) there is just 20mm difference – Stache been the longer

Both feel great

thomthumb
    Free Member

Crazy thing if I measure seat post centre (at the saddle, which is in same place on both) there is just 20mm difference – Stache been the longer

you have to keep an eye on the stack too. adding stem spacers will move the bars close to the saddle. obviously reach is a frame dimension and doesn’t change but a short head tube can make the reach look longer (assuming your going to stick a few spacers under the stem).

bonesetter
    Free Member

And Tarn’s HT is short…

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’ve got one. The plan long term is to maybe look into getting a PDent setup, but that’s all a bit too expensive at the moment. In the meantime I’m running a 35mm stem.

It just rides like a mountain bike to be honest. Love it. It’s fun.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sounds like a super stubby stem is a must

bonesetter
    Free Member

What’s that bike (HT/DH type?) which is super long and low and runs a ‘zero’ stem?

This Tarn reminds me of that

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Tarn Top Tube Length?’ is closed to new replies.