Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Genesis iO – any owners?
  • TimP
    Free Member

Looks like I just bought one, so tell me how great they are and also how long are your forks.
    Thanks

BlobOnAStick

Singlespeed I presume……

I have the ID 8spd version and think it’s great! Well done sir!

Oops! Forgot about the forks: 100mm as supplied. Mainly because it’s my winter-gloop machine and I want to keep some weight on the front wheel. Have toyed with the idea of tinkering with the forks ‘cos I think they can be 130 travel, but I don’t think it would improve the handling in the muck.

flange100
    Free Member

single speed here , got it for a winter bike last jan , not go off it yet, rode trans wales on it in 2011 great bike

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by one and I don’t like steel hardtails

downshift

Singlespeed here too, fitted with now v old 100mm Fox Floats from my old sub-5. Had it a couple of years and more than happy with it.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got the ID 8 speed and I love it. Stock with 100mm Recons.

bentudder

Got one of the first years’ batch of silver frames a while back. Loved it to bits, only sold it to buy a Singular Hummingbird, as it had the option to fit gears and so effectively replaced two bikes.

The Io is an awesome frame. Ran it with old 105mm Marzocchis, which was fine. Switched to 100mm Rebas, also fine, and a far shorter fork than the Marzocchis. Upped travel to 115mm, and it was a little waggly on climbs, but descended as well as when it used to have the Marzocchis on it. All in all an excellent frame. You’ll have a ball on it.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I had one and loved it but the dropout lug things etc for singlespeeding were made of cheese. (mind’s gone blank – wtf are they really called?) I just couldn’t get it to stop moving under pressure no matter what I tried.

Other than that it was a bike which was way more than the sum of it’s parts.

Oh and the saddle was the comfiest I’ve ever used. ever.

Militant_biker

I got a frame only 2009 model, running singlespeed and with 100mm forks (Magura Menjas). Built with sensible rather than lightweight parts. And a few lightweight parts.

Possibly my most favouritest bike ever.

plus-one

Mutts nuts 🙂

100mm fork on mine running ss.. All day rides/kielder twice and various
    Selkirk 100k’s

TimP
    Free Member

It is an 8sp one whichever that is. Going to be my commuter and winter bike. Currently has some 100mm rebas on but also have some suitable steel rigid forks.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

can you still buy the singelspeed version new anymore? its a shame as i really liked the look of those, best looking ss bike in my opinion, especially the silver and red framed ones.

Will have one one day, always on the lookout, there was a silver frame went for £65 on here the other day, was gutted i missed it!

BlobOnAStick

Ah…..actually, Ivandobski+100 (although I don’t think they’re made of cheese, they are almost too hard so the washers dont get a grip on them)

You might want to purchase a tug-nut thingy. I’m on my 3rd set of track nuts as i keep stripping them trying to tighten them enough to stop the wheel slipping!

stuartm555
    Free Member

Love mine! Just bought it because I needed a cheap bike but I’ve ended up riding it loads

Week 44: Silly new bike! by Stuart Marshall, on Flickr

epicyclo

Lovely handling. Way better than its price point.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I like mine except for the horrid white forks, bars and originally seat. Could paint them but that level of technology goes against the whole principle of SS.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i pulled my pants down in front of everyone at SSUK08 in order to win one. with 100mm forks, tubeless wheels, and the 853 version it was the MOST comfortable bike i’ve ever owned.

regret selling it, but tbh i really really don’t like track ends on mtbs

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got one, it’s a cracking bike.

It’s now for sale as I’ve built a 29er 😳

Any takers?

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

yes me steve, Im waiting on photos!

This is my commuter.

It was an ebay bargain, bought about 18 months ago, and I wont make you all jealous by telling you the price. (especially as the seller chucked in a set of rigid forks and extra pedals)

Its my favourite bike, a month after I got it I commuted to work on a Friday, raced it at Hit The North on the Saturday, did a lakes ride on it on the Sunday and was commuting on it again on the Monday 😀

13 mile each way commute, perfectly comfortable, and a mate lent me his Kona cross bike which I didnt really get on with so its back on the Genesis tomorrow.

flashes
    Free Member

I didn’t like mine, it felt woooden compared to the On One, long gone…the Genesis that is..

TimP
    Free Member

Finally got out on it last night. Was great in the mud, and really like the alfine.
    Only issues were the rapid rise shifting which was pretty annoying, the fact I didn’t put enough air in the forks so it packed down on the steep stuff, and the flat tyre I got on the last downhill, and the saddle that came on it that felt like a wooden bench. Oh and I kept clipping trees for some reason. Don’t think the bars are any wider than any of my others but hit about 4 last night. Might just be lack of recent night riding

BlobOnAStick

I’ve recently changed the shifter on mine to a gripshift style one (it is the nexus 8spd shifter)

I did this for 3 reasons: to change the shifting style so I’m not distracted by the rapid rise arrangement, the ability to change through the whole gear range in one flick of the wrist and the ability to move the brake levers inboard so i can single-finger brake.

It only cost 13 quid.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Genesis iO – any owners?’ is closed to new replies.