Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Genesis High Latitude?
  • slparsons
    Free Member

Anyone got a High Latitude?

I’m considering building up a frameset as a rigid bike-packer/mountain bike but reviews seem pretty scarce.

Thanks in advance.

whitestone
    Free Member

The Latitude seems to have fallen out of favour now that the Longitude has arrived which is aimed firmly at the bikepacking side of things. I did look at one some years ago when they first came out but didn’t get to ride it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Got one, it’s awesome.

The numbers aren’t very exciting/fashionable: the head angle isn’t very slack, the chainstays aren’t very short, the seat tube isn’t very steep.

And it works. All the numbers are just modern enough, without going silly. It’s a capable, sturdy, all-rounder hardtail. i’d describe the handling as ‘neutral, with hint of hooligan’

Don’t expect much in the way of springy steel magic, the tubes are really quite chunky. but it’s got room for big tyres.

i use mine with 100mm forks, and the longish reach suggests a shortish (60mm) stem.

hatter

Nice, no nonsense steel 29er, got one of the snot green jobbies in 20″ with 100 mm forks.

Good move if you wanrt more of an all round XC bike which you may want to put a fork on later but for dedicated bike packing use I’d say the Logitude is a better bet, more mounts etc.

I did have a fortitude (the forerunner to the longitude) which was ace but my old wrists started to protest at the rigid forks so I went to something bit more forgiving.

sillyoldman

Run one as a rigid SS (the older one with the horizontal dropouts) with Kinesis IX Carbon fork. Love it! The newer green one is built with a lighter tubeset than the Reynolds 520 on mine, so should be nicer still.

superlightweight
    Free Member

I’m in the process of building up a frameset with carbon rigid kinesis forks, 1×10 and various 2nd-hand bits as a general pootling-about mtb. Can’t comment on the ride yet but excellent value for money (I got the frame for £230)

philb88
    Free Member

Tempted by one of these for a winter duties bike!

Anyone know a frame weight?

ahwiles
    Free Member

my 20″ frame weighs 2520g.

(according to some digital luggage scales)

fenred
    Free Member

Frame weight for the 2015 electric lime colour is 5.5lb for the 19″ frame.

Built mine up yesterday after finding Rutland doing them for £199.

Great frames, have the horizontal dropout Reynolds 520 version for SS duties which was great but I no longer ride SS and waned the same frame I could hang gears off of.

Anyone interested in a 19″ Burnt copper slot d/out frame let me know and we can sort out pics/price etc.

tthew

Yep, one of those copper coloured singlespeeders. Mine has Salsa forks, which have loads of all the options for attaching luggage. I think I’ll cobble a few gears on it and a pair of suspension forks and make it my only MTB when the full-susser gets worn out.

philb88
    Free Member

Cheers fenred, exactly what size I was looking for info on!

Seems pretty light for a steel frame

slparsons
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ve got a Fortitude with a 8 speed Alfine, but I need a bigger spread of gears.

2015 Longitudes were sold out in the spring and I’m not all that struck on the 2016 version, come to that I done think I want +tyres.

holdsteady

Contemplating buying the frame as my first 29er, what forks has everyone gone for ? Thinking Rock Shox Reba SL 100mm but hearing about a lot of issues with them, any alternatives around same price or lower I should be looking at ? Hoping to keep the build spend around the £1000 mark (deore groupset, cheap and cheerful finishing kit and superstar or shimano wheel set)

wreckitalf
    Free Member

Noticed quite a few people seem to have bought a frame for £140 in Rutand’s sale like I did – as per previous poster, what components are people building them up with , never had a 29er before so interested in fork and wheel choices

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’ve got a 17.5″ light blue frame sitting around my house, the seatpost is currently seized up inside the frame the though so will need some persuasion to come out.

£80 delivered if anyone is interested?

tutgareth
    Free Member

I bought a 19″ one at the Rutland £140 black Friday deal too, Bargain!!
    Going to run rigid’s with an SLX set up for general biking duties

Dumb question though..
    What is the rear wheel spacing as details seems scarce?

bungalistic
    Free Member

The 2014 was standard 135QR on the rear

infernocup

I picked one up from Rutland Cycles for £140 too. Going to swap most of the bits over from my Singular Hummingbird. Just need to rebuild the rear wheel with a 29er rim. Will be XT 1 x 10, Singular Swift fork, Hope brakes. Front wheel will be Ryde Trace Enduro rim on Superstar Tesla hub. Rear will be Stans Crest on Hope Pro 2 Evo hub.
    Would like to give 650b+ a go when/if rim prices come down a bit. Some one on here (can’t remember who) has theirs set up using a 25mm rim on the rear with a decent amount of clearance. Might be able to run something fatter. Offered up a WTB Scraper rim with a 3.0 specialized tyre fitted when I picked the frame up and clearance was marginal at best.

drovercycles
    Free Member

I’ve been riding one myself for the last few years – absolutely love it, great do-everything hardtail for me. I ran 120mm forks, and a pretty nice build – XT wheels, Raceface/XT drivetrain with XTR shifters, XTR brakes, SIDs, carbon seatpost and bars etc, and it’s light.

It’s a 19″ and for sale if anyone’s interested!

Also ran them in our hire fleet, mostly sold now but we do have a 16″ and a 17.5″ left, for a bargain £695 reduced from the original £1500 RRP.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I also brought one of the Rutland £140 ones.

Building it up with XT Groupset (Merlin), 120mm Recon Gold (Merlin), Superstar Tesla wheels, Exotic stem, Superstar Bars plus a few bits from my spares box.

Just need tyres and a headset and on that note, what reasonably priced headset do I need for a tapered steerer? last time I brought a headset was for straight standard 1 1/8th.

stevemorg2

What size fames have you bought? It looks like I’m on the border between a 17.5 and a 19 – ride an 18 inch orange 5, a medium Rooster and had a medium (17.5) Cotic BFe

SilentSparky
    Free Member

19″ for me, 6ft.

I ride a large 26″ Trance and medium (but long) Sanderson Life.

fettlin

All those who bought from Rutland in the black Friday deals, one question:

Where is it?!? Nothing has arrived yet

nicksar
    Free Member

Got mine through ok from Rutland, being built up at the moment

stevie750

Got mine last Wednesday.

Don’t believe the Parcelforce tracking info. It still said estimated delivery of Thursday or Friday after it had been delivered

holdsteady

SilentSparky – Member 
    I also brought one of the Rutland £140 ones.

Building it up with XT Groupset (Merlin), 120mm Recon Gold (Merlin), Superstar Tesla wheels, Exotic stem, Superstar Bars plus a few bits from my spares box.

Just need tyres and a headset and on that note, what reasonably priced headset do I need for a tapered steerer? last time I brought a headset was for straight standard 1 1/8th.

Was looking at below headset for £19.99 from On One
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFOITA/fsa-orbit-ita-headset

Interesting to see a few of you opting for 120mm forks – was looking at 100mm but guess 120mm will be fine (and give lots of alternatives)

tomcrow99

I also got one at £140, was delivered within 48 hrs but never got any tracking info. Went for the 20.5 as i’m 6’3″
    I’m the process of switching kit from my much upgraded Voodoo Bizango.
    Mish mash of stuff: Float 120mm Forks, 10 spd with an old X7 and Hone canks, WTB-i23 wheels and for the winter at least tubeless vigilantes. Deore brakes mix of other bits.
    Should hopefully be able to build the Voodoo back up to stock spec and flog it to cover the frame and extra bits required.
    Just need to get the headset fitted and put some gear cables on ad I’m good to go. Excited – love new bikes!

stevie750

If you log into your account in Rutland, there is a track order button that will redirect you to the Parcelforce tracking page.

fridge
    Free Member

I bought one from Rutland too but am a bit concerned about the frame alignment. The slot in the top of the seat tube is twisted about 5-10 degrees off centre and consequently the seat tube bend is also offset. Worried that due to the bend the top tube will be kicked to one side and so throw off the geometry… or perhaps I’m being overly critical?

Do your seat tube slots sit pretty much in line with the top tube?

Cheers

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Genesis High Latitude?’ is closed to new replies.