Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Genesis Flyer vs Day One Cross
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Following from a query the other day, a question or two about these bikes.

I see that they have different rims. Would the Flyer be able to take a CX tyre to go on towpaths or forest tracks? I wonder too if there would be insufficient brake clearance.

Secondly, is there much to be gained spec wise for the 100 pound difference? (I have bothered to look, but don't buy or go through enough kit to really compare very well).

Thanks

Jimbo
    Free Member

Flyer will have little/no clearance under brakes for tyres/resultant mud. No 'guard mounts so regular road brakes = no room.

epicyclo

You'll always regret not having the extra tyre clearance if you buy the Flyer and go offroad.

The Day One is a Pompino killer IMO

Mister-P
    Free Member

I wouldn't take my Flyer off road and even if you could manage to squeeze an off road tyre in there they would clog at the sight of mud. Buy the Day 01 Cross.

epicyclo

The Day One has better brakes too 🙂

mattythemod
    Free Member

Day one is the biz and multi purpose , canti mounts , mudguard eyes and rack mounts ….cant rate it high enough and for 500 quid its VFM !!

J0N
    Free Member

I have a Flyer. Its brilliant for what I use it for. Commuting on tarmac.
    There is minimal clearance for anything bigger than 700Cx28.
    The Day One is slightly heavier and burier for its intended purpose, and wheels are appropriate. Also it has a 135mm rear hub. The drop bat version is a really lovely bike. If your even going to ride down muddy lanes or footpaths then get the Day One.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Fairly unanimous then.

It'll be for commuting and bimbling about with the kids, so towpath/forest road at the roughest.

Now to find a retailer, neither of my local shops can get them in. Any recommendations for mail order?

teaandbiscuits
    Free Member

where are you?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Seriously want one of these now after reading this thread, the STW write up last month and a little googling here and there.

Looks like a really good second bike to have around for when the main one is in pieces. Hmm Evans sell 'em and do mail order for £40 to Sweden, not too bad.

Mister-P
    Free Member

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/stockists/

The Day 01 drop has been a very fast seller and have been out of stock at Genesis HQ for a while. There is a delivery into the warehouse in about 3 weeks.

thegreatape
    Free Member

t & b I'm in NW Scotland. Fort William is the nearest town, but neither of the shops there can get genesis bikes in. I'm going to be in Inverness for a few days next month, that may be my best bet, while the missus is distracted giving birth! otherwise it's mail order.

Mr P thanks for the heads up.

13thfloormonk

There's an Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op in Aberdeen? They'd be able to get one for you (assuming they have stock…)

epicyclo

Alpine Bikes have one on display in Inverness.

Or Square Wheels in Strathpeffer are a great lbs and they sell them too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is Alpine Bikes the one in Tiso?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Flyer vs Day One Cross’ is closed to new replies.