• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Genesis Day One Disc – any alternatives?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Woke up early this morning and started day dreaming about a new commuter for my flattish tow path commute, and this seems to fit the bill.

Anything else I should consider? Singlespeed, drop bars, discs, fixings for proper mudguards and a rack, at least 32mm tyres. What else is there at a similar price that would leave me room in a C2W budget forvavreally good dynamo set up for unlit rural towpaths.

tthew

I bought (another) one recently. There’s really not a lot of good alternatives.

There’s a website dedicated to single speed CX bikes, I’ll try and find it later, but most are either more expensive, not easily sourced in the UK, or both.

Bucko

I like my Kona Paddy Wagon, came with 28mm tyres and I fitted 25mm as soon as I got it. Can’t say for sure if 32mm tyres would fit

tthew

Paddy Wagon’s not disks though, neither is the Charge Plug which is a similar option. There’s loads of track-style fixie choices, but they don’t quite pass the towpath capability test. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Why don’t Specialized do a disc version of the old Singlecross? Seems the Day One is dominating my little niche.

tthew

Julie’s just gone to make a brew, which gives me 2 minutes to look up the SS CX page. Think any real alternative would be listed here, but I didn’t find anything to better the Genesis.

SSCX me.

petemcd
    Free Member

There’s not a lot off the shelf but I built something very similar to what you’re describing. It’s the old Planet X Kaffenback frame with an £80 pair of wheels from on-one, 38c Schwalbe Kojak tyres, full length SKS mudguards, some bits left over from a Vitus Vee-29 and a few other cheap bits. It’s heavy enough, but it’s fairly bombproof and rides beautifully

Del

surly straggler?

jerrys
    Free Member

here’s not a lot off the shelf but I built something very similar to what you’re describing. It’s the old Planet X Kaffenback frame with an £80 pair of wheels from on-one, 38c Schwalbe Kojak tyres, full length SKS mudguards, some bits left over from a Vitus Vee-29 and a few other cheap bits. It’s heavy enough, but it’s fairly bombproof and rides beautifully

Is that the old style frame or the disc only Kaffenback 2 frame? I didn’t realise it would take that size tyres with mudguards, but it obviously does.i can’t quite make out the back end to see what the drop outs are.

MoreCashThanDash

Always fancied a Kaffenback, definitely going to investigate that option, cheers.

tthew

That one up there is nice. Gears only for now though, (or second hand).

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Day One Disc owner here, brought it at the start of the year under the C2W Scheme, and I have to say i did a lot of research for the same purpose (9mile each way, mixed terrian, road/towpath/bridleway) and I have to say it is pretty damn perfect, full length m-part mudguards fitted and it gets wiped over once a week with an oily rag. Only additions this year will be a pannier rack, just looking at these now and a new charge spoon saddle as my arse no longer likes my bel air (changed the other bikes to spoons this year). Other than that is spot on, couldnt recommend it enough.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I have had a lot of bikes, and by far my favourite bike is my genesis day one. Very capable bike.

tthew

Thread needs more pictures, but I can’t work out how to get the picture URL off my android facebook app. 🙁

wanmanklung – heartlily agree with that. I’ve CX and HtN raced, proper off-roaded when my MTB was broken, 100+ mile road rides, commuted through all weathers, did the Tour of Flanders sportive on my old one. Now it’s being pressed into service for Bike Polo by someone else. All round ace.

Andy

Arkose Single speed from Evans. Superb. Even better now the price has dropped to £680 from when I bought mine 2 weeks ago 😥

tthew

Thought that was going to be a good call there Andy, until in the Q&A section

Answers

Staff

The fork does not have eyelets for a front mudguard
    Strange spec to have double eyelets on the frame but none on the fork. Does that colour scheme look better in the flesh than the photos?

plus-one

Mate bought a chinese carbon cx frame set with mounts for guards etc.. He’s been out on it last few months and its an ideal winter trainer big Mile machine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/57cm-Cyclocross-Frame-Carbon-Bike-Frame-BSA-Disc-Brake-Internal-Route-Cable-/111409691778?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Fragrances_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item19f088fc82

john_l
    Free Member

But sadly missng the vital ingredient of being a singlespeed.

plus-one

Not if you get it with PF30 bb..

Allows you to run a beer components eccentric(when back in stock) 🙂

Andy

Forks do have mudguard eyelet bolts half way up. Colour scheme is stunning, much better in the flesh. Rides really well With an Alu frame and full carbon fork it’s surprisingly light as well. Another nice touch is that it comes with all the fittings to covert to geared as well. The TRP hydraulic brakes have the piston in the levers and work superbly.

Edit: areas I’ll be watching closely are the EBB for slippage and creaking (it was loose/slipping when bought), how good the brakes are long term in an avid vs shimano kind of way. Both of these seem new to Pinnacle, I suspect, so time will tell if they have got it right.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Day One Disc – any alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.