• This topic has 27 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Aidy.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Genesis Croix De Fer – Tell me more
  • mdb
    Free Member

Have been considering getting another 29er or possibly a road bike but realise perhaps a cross-bike could be a good compromise.

Been reading up on the Croix De Fer and it sounds like a great bike for the £££. Never owned a cross bike before.

What say you?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id probably get a boardman

Kevevs
    Free Member

it’s a **** lovely and useful bike for the cash…

mdb
    Free Member

I’ve seen good reviews of the Boardmans but reckon Alu off-road is just too harsh, plus i can be a bit ham-fisted at times so like the fact steel is a bit more compliant.

Bregante

I’m reluctantly selling mine (size 58 2011 model) because I want a road bike to do a couple of sportives this year. I love the bike and it is extremely comfortable but I was mainly using it as a commuter and my job has recently changed. I’m now regularly working unsociable hours now and commuting by bike just isn’t very practical at the minute. If you’re about 5’11 or over, buy mine cos it’s a minter!

clubber
    Free Member

so like the fact steel
    is a bit more compliant.

SOME steel. SOME aluminium. unless you want to be a sheep…

crikey
    Free Member

but reckon Alu off-road is just too harsh

You really are asking to be taken to the cleaners with statements like that.

I would reckon that 90% of the cross bikes in the 3 Peaks last year were Alu. I would reckon that 95% of all the mountain bikes ridden in the UK are Alu. I know that the main complaint about the early Alu cross bikes was related to being too flexible.

You do understand that the frame material is a small component of the ‘harshness’ of a bike?

You do understand that tyre pressure is a much more obvious way of adjusting the ‘harshness’ of a bike?

aP
    Free Member

My bmc cross machine was much more compliant than my Argon 18 Arsenic. Admittedly quite a lot of the difference is probably down to the fact the Arsenic doesn’t have the incredibly flexible Easton cx forks that the bmc had.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have two steel road bikes, both with steel striaght blade forks. One runs 28c gatorskins the other 23c gator skins. Stangley it is the traitor running 23c tyres that is the most comfortable. So some steel can be harsher than others.

However Alu frames do tend to be a bit stiffer but the wheels, spokes, tyres, tyre pressure, forks, handlebars, stem all make a difference to the harness of the ride. So you will just have to test ride to see what you like. If I was buying a Cross bike the Croix de Fer and Tifosi CK1 are the two I would look at.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I have a Boardman CX Team. Any lack of comfort is down to the skinny tyres and no suspension, I really don’t think the alu frame contributes.

pistola
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 CdF. It’s pretty good as an all round road/commuting/light touring bike. I mainly use it for on-road stuff as a general training/winter bike and for youth hostelling or B&B weekends. It’s certainly comfy. Only grumbles I have are that it’s not what you would call lightweight, and I had to up the disc rotors from 160mm to 180mm as I wasn’t that impressed with the stopping power of the Shimano cable discs. I think in 2011 they changed to Avids, so that might’ve sorted that.

thorpie
    Free Member

Another vote for the CdF. I built mine up from frame only which meant I could spec lighter, higer spec parts. Helps with overall weight and building a custom one is certainly worth considering.

Trevor.

Alex

I nearly bought one, but ended up with the Boardman CX. Mate has one and absolutely loves it, so if you can live with it being a bit more portly than an alu CX, hard to see where you can go wrong.

PMK2060

There is a 2011 model on Ebay at the moment for £675 (buy it now price). Its a size 58 which is too big for me otherwise i would be very tempted.

Bregante

That’s mine. Or £600 to anyone on STW!!!

Edit: reading this thread isn’t making it any easier to part with it though 🙁

mcboo
    Free Member

I just got a Genesis Vapour CX. Alu frame, carbon fork, cable discs. Using as a around town/canal towpath bike.

Very nice, like the geometry, nice and upright for commuting. 28mm slicks at lowish pressure…..not harsh at all, glides along.

rOcKeTdOg

How tall are you bregante?

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 11 and have a 56 Croix de Fer frame and forks to sell if you are interested. I’m relocating to another country and have to sell 3 of my bikes.

Bregante

I’m 6’1 RD and am about mid-range size wise on a 58.

mdb
    Free Member

Thanks for feedback everyone.

I am a shade under 6-2 so i think the 60 cm is probably my best bet. Need to swing a leg over one to know for sure.

Been reading up on the Vapour and it sounds (and looks) great. Probably also worth a test ride.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m 6’3 on a 60″ Vapour……its right for me but at the large end of a good fit, you might want to try a 58″ depending on your shape.

18bikes

I’d also consider the Vapour – Matt H here has one as his allrounder/commute/cross/touring type bike. If you’re local, maybe bob in for a chat?

Si

MrOvershoot

Same as mcboo @ 6’3″ have a 60cm C-d-F and its a large frame for its size! Have a 60cm road bike that seems smaller so as suggested you might want to drop down to a 58cm.
    The only advantage of the bigger frame is it makes the bars higher which might make off road stuff seem less scary?

maxray
    Free Member

I love my croix de fer. Haven’t done much more than rough tow paths off road but its just really pleasant to ride…and look at 🙂

darkcove

I use mine for commuting. Nice bike, smooth ride, no handling vices, looks good. Ride a 54cm at 5’8″

Bregante

Thanks for feedback everyone.

I am a shade under 6-2 so i think the 60 cm is probably my best bet. Need to swing a leg over one to know for sure.

I’m pretty sure you’d be better off on a 58. I’m 6’1 (and a bit) and there’s loads left on the seatpost on mine. After re-reading this last night, I took mine off eBay and can’t make my mind up now 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

I’m 6’5″ and ride a 60cm but obviously it’ll depend on the actual top tube measurement as to what’ll fit.

Aidy
    Free Member

<shameless plug> If anyone’s after a 54cm, I’m selling mine </shameless plug>

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Croix De Fer – Tell me more’ is closed to new replies.