• This topic has 38 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Generation Kill
  • hora
    Free Member

Starting for the first time on episode one….

Duggan

It’s good, as is the book it’s based on

acehtn
    Free Member

On telly or on demand tv.

Caught most of them when it aired late at night years ago.

Good series.

Pigface
    Free Member

Just finished it, very good, enjoyed the book as well, would like to know where they are now.

damitamit
    Free Member

Interrogative

spacemonkey

Watched it a few years ago. Thought it was brilliant.

sandwicheater

Wish they had made another series, brilliant program.

stevious

Basically ruined all other war-based TV for me as nothing else quite matches up.

ChrisL

I really liked it, I watched it on DVD which was handy as it came with a leaflet which showed the unit structure – handy for the first few episodes as differentiating between similarly equipped marines was initially difficult. 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

handy for the first few episodes as differentiating between similarly equipped marines was initially difficult

That’s where the book is easier. You always know who is who.

With the show it’s much harder. Lot’s of time is spent trying to work out who is who. Brilliant series though.

batfink
    Free Member

Loved it, and have watched it through a few times now.

You will find yourself declaring you are “oscar-mike” for the next few days….. it will pass

Kuco

Great programme keep meaning to watch it again myself.

hora
    Free Member

One observation- they are obsessed with gay jokes 😆

binners

I’ve watched it a few times. Its absolutely superb. Having a think about it, Hora reminds me of….

😀

Danny79
    Free Member

So many great quotes Brad’s whiskey tango abuse of Ray has to be the best though 😆 . Might have to dig out the dvds for another re-watch.

Is that the book about the first days of the Second Gulf War?

I read it a few years ago and found it quite flawed.

scud
    Free Member
    binners

somewhatslightlydazed – Member

Is that the book about the first days of the Second Gulf War?

I read it a few years ago and found it quite flawed.

The series is well worth a watch though fella. Because the joy of it is the dialogue, and the interplay between the main characters. I couldn’t really care less how accurate it is, when the dialogue is this good! The banter between Brad and Ray is utterly inspired

Northwind

There was a fair amount of comment on accuracy of the book and series but the marines featured most heavily don’t seem to have much issue- several were involved in the filming (Rudi plays himself, others were advisors or support) so I dunno, I reckon you can take their stamp of approval more highly than that of those who weren’t there or maybe have some agendas.The air force spotter made quite a lot of comment about inaccuracy but tbh it all felt quite like reasonable confusion, 2 different people or groups seeing the same situation from different angles. In the end, it’s not supposed to be a documentary about the war, it’s supposed to be a ridealong with one unit so you see it as they see it, maybe not exactly how it is or was.

I think the main problem with the book is that the reporter left the unit just after they had reached Bagdad and “won the war” with minimal casualties (I think one guy got hit by a ricochet and was out of action for two days).

Therefore the whole theme of the book is a bit “havent we done a good thing here and isn’t war great – just like an Xbox game with your mates.”

In the final chapter the reporter did meet a couple of guys from the unit who had sufferered horrendous injuries at Fallujah. But he wasn’t there, so his description of a guy having his arms blown off by an RPG still seems a bit gung ho.

So the book’s not inaccurate, just very one sided.

I imagine A TV series, with the benefit of hindsight from later events, would be much better.

andy8442
    Free Member

Absolute gem of a series. Shame they didnt make anymore.

cb

I’ve got the box set for sale if anyone wants it?

cranberry
    Free Member

Therefore the whole theme of the book is a bit “havent we done a good thing here and isn’t war great – just like an Xbox game with your mates.”

I don’t think that anyone would get that message from the series at all.

Northwind

somewhatslightlydazed – Member

Are you sure you didn’t read some other book? Perhaps one of the Halo spinoff novels?

binners

Yeah… thats pretty much the polar opposite of what I took from it. Its about as ‘isn’t war a great old laugh?’ as Blackadder goes Forth.

And as for ‘haven’t we done a great thing?’…. The abiding impression is that no-one really knows why they’re there, or what it is they’re meant to be trying to do

Are you sure you didn’t read some other book? Perhaps one of the Halo spinoff novels?

Just Googled it. Was definately Generation Kill. The reporter was embedded with a marine unit for two months during the invasion and occupation of Bagdad.

I read it years ago and still remember it as a very unsettling book.

And as for ‘haven’t we done a great thing?’…. The abiding impression is that no-one really knows why they’re there, or what it is they’re meant to be trying to do

I assume thats the TV series? Does it carry on after they’ve occupied Bagdad?

And does it include any refernce to pre combat ****? There’s a weird bit in the book were the reporter is watching some guy sat on thelatrine jerking off, just before he goes off on patrol.

scud
    Free Member

Anyone read a book called “War Reporting for Cowards”?

Very funny book about a guy who is working as a fashion correspondent in New York when he witnesses 9/11 happen and on the back of the piece he writes they send him to Iraq to be embedded with the US Marines.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I have always found it rather bizarre that the British Film industry has yet to make either a decent film or docudrama along these lines for the Falklands conflict; it does offer a massive scope for some good watching and would be relatively easy to make.
    Maybe the Thatcher angle doesn’t sit well with the luvvies in the film industry.

willard

Awesome series.

It’s ok to look. It’s not gay if it’s Rudi…

phildowling
    Free Member

Gentlemen…we have just taken an airfield…

That was pretty f**king ninja.

🙂

Great series and good book

I have always found it rather bizarre that the British Film industry has yet to make either a decent film or docudrama along these lines for the Falklands conflict;

There was something on years ago called “An Ungentlemanly Act” about the original invasion.

ninfan
    Free Member

There was something on years ago called “An Ungentlemanly Act” about the original invasion.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIGsD29UsbM#t=4197[/video]

1h10min for the quote of the film 😀

Tumbledown
    Falklands play
    Resurrected

spawnofyorkshire

The book is a really good read and some of the criticisms are addressed in the appendix in the copy i have

http://www.pritzkermilitary.org/whats_on/pritzker-military-presents/nathaniel-fick-one-bullet-away/

This was an interesting watch; it’s a presentation by Lt. Fick and he covers a lot about the iraq invasion

hora
    Free Member

I want you to speak frankly.

Well Sir you are incompetent.

Ouch.

Well Im trying as hard as I can.

Sir its not good enough.

Ouch.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Great series, I watch it the other week for the first time, great dialogue, acting, and a very strong anti war feeling going it. very good all in.

hora
    Free Member

‘just got my boxset back from someone who borrowed it. So I’m going to rewatch tonight 🙂

I had to explain it to someone in the office when they said ‘oh whats it about’? Erm a load of men in moustache’s cracking relentless gay jokes whilst avoiding the odd bullet 8)

willard

It’s not gay if it’s Rudi.

hora
    Free Member

So I did abit of reading and it seems the writer has been alittle unfair in his portrayal of some of the officers.

Capt Mcrgraw (Cpt America)

and

Capt Schwetje

Were potrayad badly. Apparently Mcgraw was highly thought of and the fire mission wasn’t correct.

I thought it odd that if they were that bad they would have been relieved of command. After all a Colonel was.

Officers were rigorously selected for recon so the fire mission mistake technicality couldn’t have happened.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Generation Kill’ is closed to new replies.