Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • General strike.
  • br
    Free Member

I work for one of the quangos and our pension is self funding yet it still gets called into question when public sector pension get looked into.

All that means is that your budget pays for it, and your budget is paid for by the taxpayer… But surely the only way its ‘self-funding’ is if its a money-purchase scheme?

And Pension Holidays were something really that business did in response to Govt changes – and back again…

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/holiday-is-over-for-companies-pension-schemes-1248903.html

Lifer
    Free Member

That’s talking about ending pension holidays due to changes.

allthepies
    Free Member

And they’re the ones that started it:

And then Gordon Brown stepped in.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/revealed-how-gordon-brown-has-cost-you-163100000-443730.html

tron
    Free Member

The Labour party aren’t moaning because they have tried on several occasions to reform public sector pensions and retirement ages, but have always ended up folding.

It’s pretty simple – Unions a) give a lot of funding to the Labour party and b) have voting rights. This makes it extremely difficult for them to tackle the issue. Labour know (but don’t publicly say) that some kind of public sector pension reform is needed, and it might as well be someone else getting the blame for it.

because they don’t want to be seen to be sticking up for the public sector as the tory press have so successfully convinced everyone that the pensions need reforming.

😆 Or that.

El-bent
    Free Member

And then Gordon Brown stepped in.

Yes, just carrying on where the real tories left off, but this is what happens when you let tory style politicians run the country since 1979.

Lifer
    Free Member

@allthepies

As I said pensions have been mishandled for decades.

In both cases BDO assumed that the pair’s salaries would rise by 5 per cent per year and that they would pay 4 per cent of their wages into a pension fund. It was also assumed that the stock market would continue to rise in line with historic trends and that shares would pay a typical 3 per cent dividend yield. Bonds were expected to continue to pay an interest yield of around 4 per cent.

LOLZ

zokes
    Free Member

All that means is that your budget pays for it, and your budget is paid for by the taxpayer… But surely the only way its ‘self-funding’ is if its a money-purchase scheme?

Not in the slightest. Many quangos, whilst ‘backed’ by the government, bid competitively for money. No money = no jobs (and no pension).

jj55

I just wonder at the comments regarding ‘us and them’ where ‘us’ the private sector workers are thinking they are really hard done by, and they are looking over the fence to see ‘them’ the public sector workers allegedly basking in Gold Plated pensions and excellent terms and conditions. If that was really the case why didn’t they join the public sector when there were vacancies?? and do you REALLY think that once this Government has slashed the Pensions, wages and terms and conditions of Public Sector workers they will reduce the Income Tax for the ordinary tax payer, if you do then you are a fool. Stop being taken in by the propaganda machine and give the Public Sector workers the credit and pay/pensions they deserve.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I dunno about all that – I was just wondering how we I was going to get to work if the rail network shut down…

:mrgreen:

Lifer
    Free Member

Rail isn’t in the public sector…

jam-bo

Stop being taken in by the propaganda machine and give the Public Sector workers the credit and pay/pensions they deserve.

Having worked in both and subsequently left the civil service, very few of the people I worked for and with really earnt the pay/pensions they got. Including me. I left because I couldn’t face another 30yrs of bumbling mediocrity in exchange for flexi-time, 6 weeks leave a year, and a really good pension.

Face it, most people would bite their employers hand off if they offered pension terms anything close to what is being proposed. I would.

Drac

Face it, most people would bite their employers hand off if they offered pension terms anything close to what is being proposed. I would

. I left because I couldn’t face another 30yrs of bumbling mediocrity in exchange for flexi-time, 6 weeks leave a year, and a really good pension.

😯

jam-bo

Your point?

Drac

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Rail isn’t in the public sector…

“General strike…” 🙄

jam-bo

Not really. The civil service pension scheme wasn’t enough to keep me working with a bunch of incompetent, lazy ****. So I left.

My current employment challenges me, interests me and I work much harder as a result. There is no pension scheme. I would bite their hand off if they offered anything close to the terms currently being whinged about by my former colleagues. They won’t but I’d still rather be where I am.

Drac

Not really. The civil service pension scheme wasn’t enough to keep me working with a bunch of incompetent, lazy ****. So I left.

Funny I know someone else who said the same, I can’t comment though as don’t work for them. I do suspect there’s as many private sectors the same though.

I would bite their hand off if they offered anything close to the terms currently being whinged about by my former colleagues.

Well that’s because it’s better than their current offer, what about if they were to make your current pension worse for paying in more and had to work another 6 years for it?

jam-bo

That would be quite tough as I currently don’t have one.

8yrs in the civil service one though which is worth quite frankly a ridiculous amount considering how much I paid in.

Edit: and for the record, eroded pensions would be the least of the civil service problems if I was in charge. Sack the right 50% and I reckon you could still output the same amount and still knock off early on Friday….

Drac

That would be quite tough as I currently don’t have one.

It’s hypothetical.

jam-bo

It’s hypothetical.

Then hypothetically I would leave.

But the masses won’t because even that is better than they’ll get anywhere else. And they know it.

Drac

But the masses won’t because even that is better than they’ll get anywhere else. And they know it.

So you would leave, where to given there is no better offer and where do you expect these millions of employees to go to even if they decided to?

jam-bo

I don’t care, I’m going to ride a bike.

Drac

I don’t care, I’m going to ride a bike.

Enjoy, I’m on nights so no energy to ride. Think it might be kip time though.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well that’s because it’s better than their current offer, what about if they were to make your current pension worse for paying in more and had to work another 6 years for it?

That would probably put you on a par with all those in the private sector who have had wage freezes or decreases, whose workload has decreased because there are no customers and/or lost their jobs.

Drac

Probably or does? As I’m on a pay freeze too along with the rest of the NHS. Public sector workers have also had wages and hours reduced plus job loses in some areas. It’s not exclusive to the private sector.

donsimon
    Free Member

Exactly, so why does the public sector think it deserves greater rights, more sympathy and special treatment in the face of a global crisis?
    I’m not starting again, it’s all been done before. You’re going to fight to protect your position and I’m going to get off my arse to improve mine and we’ll never agree on the correct course of action.

Drac

Exactly, so why does the public sector think it deserves greater rights, more sympathy and special treatment in the face of a global crisis?

Does it? No. They are asking for their pension to be left alone, they’re not asking for special rights only that one the perks we get to be left alone.

Like I said before there’s often up road and tears from Private sectors when company pensions fail, expecting the Government to bail them out.

I’m not starting again, it’s all been done before. You’re going to fight to protect your position and I’m going to get off my arse to improve mine and we’ll never agree on the correct course of action.

Nice add on.

I’m fighting for something yes. I could get off my arse and look for something else but in the area I live there’s nothing I can get to offer me the same pay without starting again from the bottom. I’m very fortunate in I earn a good wage, I’m as secure as can be but not 100%, I get good holidays and currently have a good pension scheme. However, to be doing this job when I’m well into my 60s for the same pension I would have earlier for paying more is not fair. It’s as simple as that, not sure why people would expect us to take it on the chin because they chose a job without such perks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

All that means is that your budget pays for it, and your budget is paid for by the taxpayer..But surely the only way its ‘self-funding’ is if its a money-purchase scheme?

Unless folk in the public sector work for nothing you could always argue taxpayers are paying for it because we are. Equally in this example if we increase their contribution [ the proposal to teachers]we are still paying for it. the govt is not spending any less as a result of the change. No saving either way for taxpayers.

donsimon
    Free Member

Like I said before there’s often up road and tears from Private sectors when company pensions fail, expecting the Government to bail them out.

Not me. 😆

I think that asking to maintain something when the whole economy is going backwards is wrong. Where do you suggest the money comes from to maintain your pensions?

Junkyard
    Free Member

why does the public sector think it deserves greater rights, more sympathy and special treatment in the face of a global crisis?

I am not sure the public sector is actually saying this are you sure this is what they are protesting?
    It has a pay deal just like all employees why is it unreasonable to expect your employer to honour it?

donsimon
    Free Member

Nice add on.

Sorry, I’m always forgetting something and never know whether to edit of add another post. 😳

Drac

It’s fine I do the same just happen to spot it. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

think that asking to maintain something when the whole economy is going backwards is wrong.

Like bankers bonuses for example why are the right wing press not camapaigning about this or tax evasion then?

Where do you suggest the money comes from to maintain your pensions?

it depends on the affodability of the pension scheme tbh.
    Some are still self financing and dont have any projected shortfall.
    generally working longer and less benefits [ ie you paid more as you worked longer].
    To have to work longer, pay more and get less is a hard sell to any employee.
    I would also look at the current people receiving the pensions as they are the one who have not paid enough to cover their pensions it seems odd to punish current workers for this tbh.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m fighting for something yes. I could get off my arse and look for something else but in the area I live there’s nothing I can get to offer me the same pay without starting again from the bottom. I’m very fortunate in I earn a good wage, I’m as secure as can be but not 100%, I get good holidays and currently have a good pension scheme. However, to be doing this job when I’m well into my 60s for the same pension I would have earlier for paying more is not fair. It’s as simple as that, not sure why people would expect us to take it on the chin because they chose a job without such perks.

This is where we differ.

allthepies
    Free Member

“General strike…”

illegal.

donsimon
    Free Member

Like bankers bonuses for example why are the right wing press not camapaigning about this or tax evasion then?

Clearly the banking sector needs control too, Emilio Botín is having a hard time at the moment, so maybe there’s justice… As long as banks are seen as a necessary part of day to day life there should be a state run alternative.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

That would probably put you on a par with all those in the private sector who have had wage freezes or decreases, whose workload has decreased because there are no customers and/or lost their jobs.

So we never had pay freezes or redundancies in the public sector in the past 🙄

Woody
    Free Member

Sack the right 50% and I reckon you could still output the same amount and still knock off early on Friday….

It’s an interesting concept but completely ignores the fact there are widely diverse areas of ‘public sector’. Presumably you have only worked in one particular area? I have worked in a fairly wide range of private sector companies and would say there is little difference in the levels of useless twattery in both camps.

Sacking the 50% who aren’t any good/pulling their weight is a smashing idea – then all you hard working private sector guys can pay for the benefits so they really can do absolutely f… all 8)

donsimon
    Free Member

So we never had pay freezes or redundancies in the public sector in the past

Did you strike then or MTFU and get on with it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Another one who has been fooled by the propaganda.

The various pension schemes are affordable and sustainable. this is the fact. For example the NHS fund is in surplus – more is paid in that is paid out and this has been the case for years – however this surplus has been used as revenue by governments not invested.

Most pension schemes including the teachers have been revised to ensure their affordable and sustainability

This is simply apiece of political theatre managed to divert attention from the real issues – tha lack of private sector pensions, the tax avoidence and the behaviour of the bankers.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘General strike.’ is closed to new replies.