Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • General info on mobile phones and the emergency services
  • druidh
    Free Member

Article in the Sunday Herald

It does worry me that some folk seem to be setting off into the hills without basic navigational skills, believing that simply owning a GPS (or a phone with one) is a good substitute. I'm also concerned that using a phone as a GPS will run down the batteries and it doesn't have power when you most need it.

Rescue teams have also warned users often do not realise that phone battery power deteriorates more rapidly in cold and damp conditions.

They say that phones should be switched off when not in use and kept close to the body to keep warm.

Kit
    Free Member

This comes around every year, and I'm in total agreement, although I'd rather people decided to go for a walk in the country ill-prepared than just sit on their arse watching fitba'.

RealMan
    Free Member

Rescue teams have also warned users often do not realise that phone battery power deteriorates more rapidly in cold and damp conditions.

They say that phones should be switched off when not in use and kept close to the body to keep warm.

Didn't know that myself. Phone always stays on, in a pocket in my camelbak. However on the road bike it goes into back pocket of jersey. Never ran out of battery though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

annoys me too druidh

what annoys me more is people taking kit they dont know how to use – be it sat nav a compass or a **** map ! that really annoys me

i take great pleasure in playing the fool at times and asking where we are on their map (not letting them know i have one and know exactly whree we are) and watching them fluster trying to figure out half an idea of where they are. some of my mates have got the picture – local college does night courses in essential skills for going into the hills and they have signed up for them. — its not stupid bear grylls and ray mears how to light a fire shit its map reading , trail reading , watching the weather systems around you etc

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘General info on mobile phones and the emergency services’ is closed to new replies.