Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • general all round physical fitness.. which job..?
  • yunki
    Free Member

Outside of sports professionals… can you beat a conscientious builders labourer for general physical fitness..?

I've been working with some guys this last month and their strength and stamina is phenomenal..

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

have you told them how you feel? 🙄

iDave
    Free Member

sherpa?

IainGillam
    Free Member

Easy, SAS or SBS no one else can really contend.

Iain

iDave
    Free Member

what job did goan do?

yunki
    Free Member

have you told them how you feel

in a word.. yes of course I did.. I was bloody impressed at the amount of graft.. and not shy about showing my appraisal.. 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was bloody impressed at the amount of graft..

But did you tell them how impressed you were their "strength"……..they might have let you touch their muscles 💡

Personally wouldn't choose "builders labourer" as the best example, as a lot of time can spent pushing a broom. I would choose hod carrier as a better example of strength and stamina. And for strength, stamina, and flexibility possibly plasterer.

Although SAS or SBS I'm sure is a good example of 'all round physical fitness', I would be surprised if their jobs required them to burn the same amount of calories 8 hours a day 5 days a week, as a hod carrier or ground worker/kerb layer

Junkyard
    Free Member

surely a v02 test to decide in which case sas /sbs or similar …they cant do ajob of a hod carrier but igher vo2
    think only nordic/cross country skiers is hgher than cyclists

Jamie
    Free Member

what job did goan do?

Driving instructor?

…well that and Demi-God.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he would never describe himself as a demi god as that is only half a god he had a much higher delusion opinion of himself than that/.Full on
    god or god of gods like Zeus but better,faster and more fun to be with.

user-removed
    Free Member

Aye but by the time they're 60 they'll be shagged out, their joints will be full of arthritis and their backs will be shot.

I used to work as a delivery driver – all the older chaps were absolutely done in from lifting white goods on / off vans. If you couldn't lift a 60kg package cleanly off the ground onto a van you got the p1ss ripped out of you (I could, but only did it once 8) ).

yunki
    Free Member

But did you tell them how impressed you were their "strength"……..they might have let you touch their muscles

yes.. yes I did.. none of your homo-erotic fantasies lived out though I'm afraid ernest.. I once knew an ageing groundworker however.. who wouldn't leave folk alone til they had a squeeze of his biceps.. diamond geezer he was too..

Although SAS or SBS I'm sure is a good example of 'all round physical fitness', I would be surprised if their jobs required them to burn the same amount of calories 8 hours a day 5 days a week, as a hod carrier or ground worker/kerb layer

this is the point I'm trying to make..

uplink
    Free Member

I used to climb comms towers for a living – that kept you fairly fit

Keva
    Free Member

A mate of mine is a landscape gardener which seems to keep him in pretty good shape. He barely rides his mountain bike once a month these days due to family and recently buying a new motorbike but he can still pedal at a fair rate of knotts… and I always seem to be the one who is more knackered after several hours biking. -I do 80odd miles per week and he'll be lucky to do 80miles a month.

Kev

nickc

Bin men. Ours do everything at a jog

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I did demolition labouring for 4 months – that was pretty intense, often shifting ten tonnes of broken concrete a day after demolishing it with heavy equipment and wrecking bars.

Our postman has to pretty much run up loads of steps to the "high up" houses in our village – pretty impressive.

alex222
    Free Member

user removed – my girl friends dad is a plasterer and does alot of heavy lifting. he turned 60 this year and i'm afraid to say your wrong. cycled all his life and still does today. some days he beats 20 something cat 2 or even cat 1 riders up hills on club rides, out on strines and in the peak both dark and high. admittedly not often but he is certainly as good as climbing as me. i'm 27 and don't ride a compact, he's 60 and doesn't ride a compact. burried me on the last bit of the a57 up to strines last saturday, pretty embarrasing really (i had been using my big ring as much as possible though.. he also does circuit training 3 evenings a week in the winter.

brack
    Free Member

Firefighters – ever seen a fat one?

Physically demanding job and they need to keep in shape.

KT1973
    Free Member

Lapdancer

alex222
    Free Member

yeah but firefighters just sit around all day and then when theres work to be done they go on strike. 😛

surfer
    Free Member

IME its a common misconception that those who do either lots of training or have a hard physical job end up with Arthritis etc in later life.

I know lots of "older" runners/workers who are in good condition and dont suffer any more than everybody else.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Scaffolders

firestarter
    Free Member

I've seen some fat firemen , and I am one (not too fat tho lol) but I was defo thinner when I was Io the forces or as uplink antenna rigging. Tho could well be an age thing plus I don't ride as much with kids and that. Tho I do ten km a day on rowing machine that seems to do naff all 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

Firefighters – ever seen a fat one?

Yeah – the one who lives next door to me is a porker

Mind you, he's a union rep & spends more time doing that than fire-fighting

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

IME its a common misconception that those who do either lots of training or have a hard physical job end up with Arthritis etc in later life.

It's an urban myth spun by fat office workers I reckon…

tails
    Free Member

hhaaha! yeah i reckon in the most part, although carpet fitters defiantly give their knees a beating.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

RSI is an urban myth too. As are migraines.

user-removed
    Free Member

Nice to hear all the stories of older lads who spend their days lifting massive weights and still have full mobility / good backs. My grandad smoked 60 a day and lived to be 100 too*.

I'm just going on what I saw at several different courier / delivery companies, and what I saw was loads of older gadges with shot backs who could only take smaller loads / forklift pallets. Perhaps they had all lifted stuff badly before the wall to wall video training kicked in on everything from how to lift a box to how to use a hammer?

I reckon the ultimate job for general fitness which will last into old age would be something like a dog walker or park ranger. Out roaming about most of every day, with the occasional need for a burst of energy.

*might be a lie

philconsequence
    Free Member

how are RSI and migraines urban myths? guessing you've never had a migraine or known anyone have to give up a career due to RSI?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quick headcount says my mates with office jobs, sedentary lifestyles etc seem to spend more time having their backs looked at than my tradesmen mates. That's armchair orthopaedics for you there :mrgreen:

I do worry about later in life though…post 60 (if I make it…family history of cardiac arrest suggests I'm in my last decade…ooer). Physio friends tell me you're better off always being on the move and doing stuff. I hope so.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

RSI is an urban myth too. As are migraines

Poor troll.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Poor troll.

not so sure

how are RSI and migraines urban myths? guessing you've never had a migraine or known anyone have to give up a career due to RSI?

swamp_boy

Tree surgery – good for balance and co ordination too – I got a touch of arthritis and a few scars over the years, but avoided back trouble – a lot of that is due to bad lifting technique.

skidartist
    Free Member

maybe he heard a story from some guy at work who's cousin in Yorkshire swears he got RSI from having too many Migraines, and as a consequence locked an angry turkish dwarf in a shed.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mmmm if its trolling it def caught me out! i indeed reacted before engaging my brain… well trolled sir, well trolled.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

guessing you've never had a migraine

Nope, how could I? They're urban myths after all.

An ex of mine used to always get migraines when we were trying to decide who would drive on a long car journey or she was just about to lose any argument. Recent medical research has proven a placebo to be effective relief fro migraines.

Now don't get all stressed out about this and get a little headache.

[edit] wasn't intended as a troll, merely some blatant sarcasm [edit]

Jamie
    Free Member

Scaffolders

This.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

[edit] wasn't intended as a troll, merely some blatant sarcasm [edit]

Blatant bollocks more like it 🙂

This

I've seen plenty of fat ones. And they're always smoking.

skidartist
    Free Member

Anyway, back on subject…. Deerstalking keeps you pretty fit, similar to golf its a good walk spoiled. But in this case spoiled by having to drag a 1/4 ton stag back home with you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

dd – do you get headaches too?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘general all round physical fitness.. which job..?’ is closed to new replies.