Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • [geek] Ubuntu & multiple desktops [/geek]
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Been playing around with Ubuntu on my laptop. I've been using two desktop views and switching between them using CTRL-ALT then left or right cursor and dragging windows between the two. A great feature.

I read somewhere that you 9.10 supports up to 32 desktops simultaneously, but I can't figure out how to add additional desktops. Anyone know how?

andytherocketeer

Used to right click on one of the panes on the tool bar. Hit preferences and select how many you want.
    (Not tried 9.10 yet – maybe it's different?)

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

You just need to change the number of workspaces in Compiz Cube if you have that enabled, tho I thought the default setting was 4 not 2. The Ubuntu forum has loads of fixes for this and how to use the rotating cube feature which makes windows 7 look old hat. I could explain but GF has thrown me out lol and I'm stuck with a vista laptop at the mo 🙁

jon1973
    Free Member

thanks. I have a play around. Got a blue screen the other day using Windows and couldn't find the recovery disk, so I thought I'd give Linux a try. Very impressed with Ubuntu so far.

Merlinman

sas – Member

There should be a mini desktop switcher thing in the bottom right corner. Right click, preferences. And the max seems to be 36 not 32 I'm not sure how anyone could cope with that many.
    Posted 11 minutes ago # 163.1.43.141 Edit Delete Undelete Warn Report-Post

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Unless you want to play games or use a proprietry software such as a CAD package, you will never go back to Windows.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Just checked and Merlinman is spot on.
    I'd give Compiz a run if you fancy it, but it kept locking one of my processors to 100%. The only way to get processor back was to stop running Compiz. Gave up eventually, but it might be better now.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

jon1973
    Free Member

Unless you want to play games or use a proprietry software such as a CAD package, you will never go back to Windows.

Yep, thinking that already. Especially as I have my Vista machine upstairs to play games, use photoshop etc.

Just tried the cube thing, not sure my graphics card on the laptop can keep up though.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

right click on the bottom right hand side ( at the desk window) and click preferences, easy enough. Thanks for telling me about that though, i had only been using the one window.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

has anyone else had problems with Ubuntu closing random websites?

jon1973
    Free Member

has anyone else had problems with Ubuntu closing random websites?

Which browser do you use? had a few problems with firefox 3.1 (not with closing random sites, but more to do with slow response time/freezing) but no problems since I upgraded to 3.5.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘[geek] Ubuntu & multiple desktops [/geek]’ is closed to new replies.