Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Geek Assistance Required: Any VMware gurus here?
  • GrahamS

Long shot:

I need some help figuring out how to set up a VMware network.

I have:

One laptop running Windows XP which has:

• a USB-to-Ethernet adapter connected via a cross-over cable to a PC (running LynxOS).

• a VMware Workstation running Windows XP

• a VMware Workstation running Red Hat.

I'd like to set them up so that they all appear on a 192.168.150.* subnet. The VMware with XP must appear at 192.168.150.1 and LynxOS must be 192.168.150.2. The Red Hat box can be anything and the real XP on the laptop doesn't need to see the network.

Anyone?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Christ i would be amazed if that was even possible so many OS's talking to each other….

Good luck

R979
    Free Member

Try this, if it doesn't work let me know:

GrahamS

soma: it's all just TCP/IP traffic, no clever OS-level protocols really, just basic networking (telnet, FTP and my own code)

R979: Ahh but at least two thirds of my wires and switches are virtual 😀

Aidy
    Free Member

You'll probably want to be switching all the vmware network interfaces into bridge mode, then it should just be a case of faffing with the network settings of each OS.

scaredypants

off, then back on 🙄

GrahamS

never mind, I think I got it working. 😀

brassneck

The VMs need to bridge to an extenal network card that the other PC is physically located on. The n give them all IP addresses etc. on the sdame subnet.

brassneck

BTW, if you need to keep such a setup running for some time, look up running ESXi on an old worksation with plenty of RAM and HDD space – it's a free bare metal hypervisor and may save you getting strangled by your own cables 🙂

There are a few desktops capable of doing it if you look around, it often bitches about kit not on the HCL, but mainly you can get away with it. I have an old Optiplex GX620 running the hypervisor off a bootable usb stick for what is technically known as 'titting about'.

GrahamS

The VMs need to bridge to an extenal network card that the other PC is physically located on. The n give them all IP addresses etc. on the sdame subnet.

Two points to you! But 6 minutes too late 🙂

I hadn't realised that different VMs could have different IPs and still use the same vmnet that was bridged to a physical card.

All good ta.

brassneck

I reckon I lose them for typos anyway, and deservedly so 🙂

Aidy
    Free Member

"The VMs need to bridge to an extenal network card that the other PC is physically located on. The n give them all IP addresses etc. on the sdame subnet."
    Two points to you! But 6 minutes too late

I said it loads before that :p

DezB
    Free Member

Aidy summed the solution up with one word

faffing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Geek Assistance Required: Any VMware gurus here?’ is closed to new replies.