Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Geax Gato
  • votchy
    Free Member

Have had these on for a couple of weeks and they feel ok but not amazing. issue I have is with pedalling traction, am getting a lot of wheel spin. Anyone ever run the rear the opposite way round? Does it work any better? As a front tyre it seems to steer and brake well but not feeling the love out back, certainly not getting the same grip as the Datura on the back.

asbrooks

zinaru
    Free Member

what pressure are you running the back at?

votchy
    Free Member

I started at 30, then 28 and now 26, they seem to deform and grip ok over roots etc but on muddy climbs they seem to slip and takes a lot of body movement, pedalling adjustment etc to regain traction, this seems to be continual as they dont give the grip I was hoping for.

zinaru
    Free Member

votchy

id go lower – i swear by gato’s on the rear (and front if i run a 29 rather than 29+ or a fat front)

I’ve got velocity p-35 rims and run the back at 21psi (front at 19psi), the wide rims help but the tyre hooks up on everything (the best 29 tyre in my opinion, the fact you can get it so cheap is a miracle). my recommendation is to drop the pressure as low as you can get away with and try some more…

good luck.

votchy
    Free Member

Cheers zinaru, am on 26″ so may work slightly different but will keep trying, 2.1 at back and 2.3 up front on stans flow

zinaru
    Free Member

no problem votchy, yup, sure its different on your niche wheel size! hoho!

windyg
    Free Member

I only have a Gato on the front but run it below 20psi grips fine.
    Never tried one on the back I find a Ron good enough.

votchy
    Free Member

Ron wouldn’t work in wyre forest mud lol

mboy
    Free Member

Found 2.1″ Gato on the back was ideal for Wyre slop last winter, maybe not as much outright grip as a full on Mud tyre, but rolls better and is much better anywhere else than a full mud tyre.

Not tried them in a 26″ mind, I’ve only had experience of the 29er version.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’m on a 26er and I had a try with Gatos as they were much lighter than my UST 2.2 Daturas and they were OK for Autumn use but no where near the mud grip,drive and fun of the Daturas.I’ve now got some Datura Lights on and for me they seem to be the best of both worlds so far grippy and light and working very well in the muddy quagmire of Kent .

votchy
    Free Member

Cheers guys, might try a datura on the back for drive as the gato seems to turn and brake well on the front.

bigjim

I have an unused pair of 26″ Daturas I need to sell if anyone is interested. On 29″ now so don’t need them.

andymc06
    Free Member

Likewise. I have a set of virtually unused 26 inch Daturas in Farnborough, Hants. If that is convenient for anyone? £15 for the pair 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

So, last night Gato on the front and Datura on the back, got me through everything, up and down, my new winter/mud combo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Geax Gato’ is closed to new replies.