• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by rp16v.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Gears are my weakness…
  • astura
    Free Member

I can do most things on my bike, but gearing has always been my fall. This time I have decided not to give up but I think there is something wrong with the front mech I have – im not that it fits properly infact im questioning if its the right one.

I have tried to adjust it/move it around but the chain is always sitting on the flat plate across

Any help please, I think I may need a new front mech but which one

astura
    Free Member

and posting pictures….

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

How far above the outer ring does the mech sit when in the outer ring position.?

toofarwest

Shift into the big ring and take a side on pic, it’s difficult to see from that angle but the mech looks to be too high.

astura
    Free Member

1 – 2mm, if I tried to adjust the allen key to move the mech up anymore, the chain would sit even more on the plate

scaled
    Free Member

looks like you need to move the mech down the seat tube

AlexSimon

Maybe it’s a very forward rotated seat tube, so a conventional mech wont work (hence the direct mount)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

1 – 2mm, if I tried to adjust the allen key to move the mech up anymore, the chain would sit even more on the plate

The whole mech needs to come down the seat tube a few mm by the looks of things.

jonba
    Free Member

looks like you need to move the mech down the seat tube

This. It should clear the big ring by about 5mm.

Although I think you have the wrong type of mech.

You’ve got a band on one when that bit of metal that says whyte suggests you should have a direct mount one.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m786-direct-mount-2×10-front-mech/rp-prod69486

Take it to a bike shop?

astura
    Free Member

I did wonder what that plate was for, never had one before – or seen it so thanks, all the parts I have removed off my 5.

Still not going to the bike shop yet,, now I know the right part im more determined

khani
    Free Member

I think it should have a direct mount mech rather than the band on type fitted,
    The black bit with whyte written on it above the mech looks like a direct mount fitment, if you unbolt the black bit a direct mount mech bolts directly to it..
    Maybe….
    Edit, Jonba types faster than me..

rsvktm

edit. Already said…

astura
    Free Member

Iv ditched the front mech, I was toying with getting rid but because I had it I thought id fit it.

Im going to go Single cog up from, I have race face evolve cranks when converting to a narrow wide disc what do I need to look out for when ordering?

molgrips
    Free Member

Definitely down the seat tube by a cm or two.

astura
    Free Member

All sorted now

Olly
    Free Member

direct mount mechs are the bees nuts. Throw it on and forget. None of this messing about needed. 2×9 ftw

astura
    Free Member

Right, iv lost the front mech – bought a narrow wide ring, whilst removing the front mech I couldn’t get the chain split to part (never can unless by force) this time I chewed up the link so had to remove a couple links,, since then the gears on the back wont change up like they did before I presume its because I have put more tention in, so do I need a new chain?

devash
    Free Member

direct mount mechs are the bees nuts. Throw it on and forget. None of this messing about needed. 2×9 ftw

This. Fettling around with the height / angle is a real pain.

astura
    Free Member

Latest issue, I think the bike shop is looming. Iv fitted my rear mech and it keeps catching the frame, I have tried to shift it taking tension out of it to try and get it go through the cycle but no joy (+iv also fryed the cable when it got lodged in the spokes). The rear derailleur is sat in the right position but I cant seem to line it up. Any tips? (im absolutely pap at gearing)

astura
    Free Member

Im now novice, iv figured it out

AlexSimon

Well done for persevering 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Chain routed wrongly through the rear mech cage perchance?

rp16v
    Free Member

Chain to long? Have you tried any B screw adjustemt?
    Also as mentioned it looks like the chain may be routed wrong through the cage just under the top jockey wheel

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Gears are my weakness…’ is closed to new replies.