Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gearing advice for 29er build.
  • Bazz

I’m currently gathering parts for a 29er build, i’m planning on running a 1×9 set up and was thinking of using a 34t chainring with a 11-34 cassette, would this be a suitable ratio? (it’ll be my first 29er i know i’d be fine on a 26″ bike with this)

Also could anyone advise me where i could get a 5 bolt 34t chainring without shifting ramps please? Thanks.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve just built a Swift 29er 1×10

I have a 36 Surly front ring, I got from Bike Shed in Cardiff.

That was to fit an SLX chainset.

Charlie the Bikemonger will be able to help you I am sure, check out his site, or send him an email.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/chainrings–bolts-10-c.asp

charliedontsurf

34t on a 11/34 is what I use on my salsa dos Niner.
    And yep we have loads of suitable ring options
    Also have mrp 1×9 chain guides
    Run your chain as short as poss
    I have not fitted a mrp yet but have no dropped the chain yet.

tang
    Free Member

Depending on your terrain I guess. I live in a steep sided valley and all my rides have long and steep climbs.
    1×10 32 up front and 11-36 out the back !

gee
    Free Member

Usually I ran a 36t ring with 11-34. I swapped for a 34t for the Dalby round of the nationals and have left it on since, more as an experiment, but I think I’ll be leaving it on now. The big wheels do make gears harder. I’ve got 11-36 with a 36t ring on the 26″ bike.

The MRP 1.X is highly reccomended too – I’ve got 3 on various bikes and they have been superb, no chain drop. They need careful setting up – run the cage as low as possible on the slider.

GB

Bazz

Thanks for the advice guys, this is more of a long term project as i’m not allowed to buy any new bikes until after my wedding next year 🙁 but i’m slyly gathering a few bits from the classifieds and hiding them in the garage!

slowjo
    Free Member

I have just been through this on a 1×9 build and it took me ages to get it right, even now I am not completely happy. I ended up with a 36 on the front (same combo cassette) and it is a workable compromise. A 34 tooth chainring just left me under geared most of the time and I ended up using 7th and 8th gears and then spinning my nuts off on road sections. I kept looking for another gear but there wasn’t one to be found anywhere! At some stage I could be tempted with a 38 but not just yet. I ride in the hilliest part of the country if it helps get a handle on my gearing issues… my riding is primarily up and down the cols de Thetford 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I was out this morning on my 29er and having got a bit fitter of late, I did the whole ride on the ‘big’ ring – a 32t with my 11-34 9s cassette. I think that if I had 32 with 11-36 (10 speed) I’d be ok for anything other than the longest days. 32 might be a little undergeared though if you’re fit.

rootes1

i have 1×9 on my swift

32t and 11-34 – gives a good all round spread – fine for riding out pirbright, swinley etc – 32×13 and 32×11 is just the ticket for zipping only canal paths. but found it fine round south wales and shropshire hills as well

think with 1×10 11-36 would be eve better coupled with a 32 ring.

nedrapier

Have a play around on here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

put in your 26in set up (pick tyre and rim combo in “wheel size”) and find out the range in gear inches, then plug in the 29er details and see what ring size you’d need to get the same range (tyre sizes listed in mm after 700 x ..)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gearing advice for 29er build.’ is closed to new replies.