Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gear setup from scratch
  • crashbanggg
    Free Member

I now have all the bits I need to setup my gears. As it currently stands, the only things attached are the rear derailur, front mech and shifters. But with nothing connecting them. Could anyone tell/ show me a video of what order to do things and how?

Also, how do I adjust the length of my chain without the gear on? Or do I have to do that after?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What gears.?

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Shimano Deore/ XT. With Jagwire full outers and clarks teflon coated inners.

midlifecrashes

This is a good place to start.

Park Tool Website

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Slightly different shifter but the principal is the same. Failing that there are loads of related vids.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bVgP_MNwc&feature=related[/video]

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Does my chain need to be installed in order to do the gears?

ourmaninthenorth

Does my chain need to be installed in order to do the gears?

Not initially (when you’re doing the first set-up of derailleurs – high low limits), then when you want to set up the shifting, yes.

If you have the Shimano manuals, the Park website and online videos, you should have everything you need.

Enjoy – they’ll never be a mystery again..!

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Ok, I have my gear cable in the shifter end (Slotted through the hole) and running though the outer. Am I right in thinking that shifting now should effect the cable/ make it move? … ’cause it doesn’t.

Where am I going wrong?

sweepy
    Free Member

pull the inner tight with your hand, now use the shifter and you should feel the inner move, if you dont then the cables not in right or theres something up with the shifter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gear setup from scratch’ is closed to new replies.