Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • gear indexing.
  • hainman
    Free Member

is there a better gear to be in initialy when starting off indexing gears….
    i’ve seen some videos and some start on big cog front and small rear,some do big cog rear and small front and some do middle front and rear….im trying to learn by myself but not getting to far.thanks for any advice

bencooper
    Free Member

Middle cog at the front, then set the limit screws at the back, then adjust the indexing. Put it in the middle of the cassette, and do the same for the front mech.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I guess its right up the late greatr sheldon browns street the http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

seosamh77
    Free Member

I always have it on middle chain ring, put it to the samllest at the back, put the barrel adjuster to about half way, undo the cable, set the limit screw, tighten up the cable(pull the cable hand tight) switch up the gears to the biggest at the back and set that limit screw. bingo gears sorted, maybe just need to adjust at the barrel a wee bit while out and about or after a while to adjust for cable stretch..

If that doesn’t work properly, something else is causing problems.

hainman
    Free Member

thanks guys,

hainman
    Free Member

i have a slx rear mech but it doesnt have the barrel adjuster on it,only has one on the shifters there slx too,does this matter??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

no – just use the one at the shifters instead of at the mech

TiRed

No. Only one adjuster is required.

hainman
    Free Member

thanks for your fast input.will have a go when the weather clears a bit.can this be done without a bikestand??

mrplow
    Free Member

Tips include setting the limit screws before connecting the cable. Wind in your shifter barrel to almost right in to the shifter (your new cable will stretch so this gives you good room for adjustment on the fly later on). Start on smallest cog rear. Pull the slack through with a good pull and you will almost always have nothing else to do if your mech/hanger are straight. Adjust the B tension screw on mech to get the wheels close up to the cassette without fouling.

Mechanic told me to shift once then rotate the cranks to test each shift up and down the range to see where the issues were instead of spinning constantly and shifting up and down the range. Has always worked very well for me. For double/triple shifts you want to keep it spinning.

Job Jobbed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘gear indexing.’ is closed to new replies.