Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Gear cables into head tube – which side?
  • rocco

Building up my new road bike and onto fitting the internal gear cables, but should I put the left side cable through the right hand hole and right through left, or keep the left cable on the left side? If that makes sense

Have built it up with the cables on their respective side but the bend in the cable seems very tight so do I change it around to opposite sides?

padkinson
    Free Member

Does the outer cable housing go all the way though the frame, or does it stop at the frame with only the inner cable routed internally?

If it’s a full outer, put it on whichever side you please, if the inner goes through the frame I’d keep them uncrossed to avoid any friction/sawing through frame issues.

singlespeedstu

If the frame allows it’s always best to go left into right, right into left.
    Gives a much nicer cable routing when you turn the bars.

rocco

The outers stop as the cable enters the frame. Having built it up with left on left there does seem to be a little too much stretch when turning the bars. Guess its time to unthread them and change them over.

At least I’m getting good at threading internal cables! 😀

njee20
    Free Member

SSStu +1, far cleaner looking and saves your head tube getting scuffed when you turn your bars.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Gear cables into head tube – which side?’ is closed to new replies.