Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • GCSE Science – three year triple?
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Letter home saying my (year 8 ) daughter has been put forward for a Linear triple science GCSE programme, which lasts three years instead of two, so it means she would start her GCSE curriculum in Year 9 instead of 10

Whats that about then, a good thing I presume? Anyone got any experience on whether there are likely to be any drawbacks to it?

cheers

Cougar

She’ll get bullied for being a clever clogs?

Congrats, must be a good feeling.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I did that for my GCSEs. Certainly didn’t do me any harm.

ninfan
    Free Member

She’ll get bullied for being a clever clogs?

Benefits of Aspergers!

Congrats, must be a good feeling.

Cheers, yes, I knew she was doing well, but still a little bit shocked. Back in my day they wouldn’t let me do the three sciences so I’m pleased that they’ve found a way to push it. Seems that its going to be under the new scheme as well, so terminal exams rather than modules. Can’t wait to share in the homework 8)

Wally

Sounds like a school with a good plan.
    She will have a lot of science to take in year 11, including the stuff learnt in year 9. All terminal exams now. Plus three controlled assessments.

girlonwheels
    Free Member

Hi!
    I’m an English teacher and yes, this is a good thing! I did triple award when I was at school and it’s basically the same thing. She’ll get 3 separate GCSEs-one for each of the sciences. A lot of subjects, especially core, now start GCSE work in Y9. It’s becoming more the norm. I’m presuming as with English, the linear just means she’ll do all of her exams at the end of Y11 rather than doing modular exams throughout Y10 and Y11. This is also becoming usual. One of Gove’s plans.

anagallis_arvensis

Triple award is good doing it in three years is bad imo. All the exams are at the end now so it doesnt make sense to spread it out over a longer period. It does free up time to do another gcse though. It’ll be sold as accelerated learning but doing a 2 year course over 3 is slowed learning.

anagallis_arvensis

Also if they start gcse next year in year 9 it’ll be the new gcse she takes exams in and the content hasnt been released yet.

capnbarnacles
    Free Member

I think it’ll still be the current specs as the new courses start sept 2016 for science. Just English and Maths in 2015.

boxelder

Specs are based on exam years though, so doesn’t matter when she starts.

anagallis_arvensis

2016 for first teaching your right. Still havent released the specs though.

jonba
    Free Member

Yeah but a lot of it will be the same anyway. GCSE chemistry is wrong and it’ll be wrong when they release the new course as well. Sure some bits will change but I imagine the fundamentals will be the same so you can start to lay down foundations now.

Fwiw why don’t people just do them over two years like every other subject?

anagallis_arvensis

Yeah it wont change much but what they do with the coursework aspect is a big issue if they dump it fully it will mean a big increase in content.
    Its done over three years to allow time to squeeze in more other gcse’s and means time is pushed and depth of understanding lost. With terminal exams it seems daft not to just extend the brighter with good quality level 8 science and bring in a passion for the subject and a depth of understanding rather than just starting the trudge early. Just my opinion.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘GCSE Science – three year triple?’ is closed to new replies.