Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • GBEnergy Price Hikes – who you switching to?
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

So, I seem to remember there’s a fair few GBEnergy customers on here. Given their 36% price rise for elec and gas on Nov 13th who are you all switching to?

USwitch seem to suggest an Iresa or Eon Fixed rate will save me £360/yr against their current prices let alone the new inflated ones.

footflaps

Given their 36% price rise for elec and gas on Nov 13th who are you all switching to?

You sure its 36%?

I just moved to their fixed 1 year and my bills have gone down (was on their flexible tariff).

I’m fixed until Aug 2017 at

Elec 9.4p/kWh and 18.32p/day
    Gas 2.6450/kWh and 16.25p/day

Total bill is about £35/month at the moment.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yes, I’m on their Premiunm Energy Saver tarif and received an email a week ago saying Elec was going up from 17p/unit to 24p/unit and gas by a similar markup.

They didn’t offer to move me to a cheaper plan of theirs and my bill specifically states ” good news – you’re already on the cheapest similar tariff. We’ll let you know if this changes” then adds I can save £300 by moving to their Fixed 12 Crystal.

May as well save another £60 by moving elsewhere.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mine’s gone up too – swapped to SWALEC.

To be honest I was never that happy with GB’s constant requests for meter readings, especially as they always said my consumption was too high.

footflaps

To be honest I was never that happy with GB’s constant requests for meter readings

I really like the monthly bills, gives much better resolution on our usage.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yeah, I never minded the monthly readings either. Easy to submit on phone and worked seemlessly with both GB Energy and FirstUtility when I was with them.

Will swap to E.On tonight to get the cashback savings and tariff savings I guess.

bigjim

Have they increased their pre existing fixed tariffs? If so how does that work?

footflaps

If you’re fixed then you won’t see the price rise till your fixed period ends.

tthew

If you’re fixed then you won’t see the price rise till your fixed period ends

True, but if you can change penalty free now, it might be worth it to fix at a better tariff as prices are likely to increase fairly soon.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

All this fixed tariff bullshit. Since when were utilities treated like mobile phone contracts? Hmmmmmm offering a lower unit price, preferential in business speak, adjusted high enough to account for supply cost variation over the term, so not the absolute lowest they could offer.

Price rises just in time for the winter heating season, who’d av thought it! Must just be supply cost increases right, not opportunistic profit maximisation, them being so community spirited and all.

If it takes re-nationalisation to **** up the cozy little admin cartel I’m for it.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I don’t get why all the fixed priced tariffs are cheaper than the variable ones if they already have a built in buffer for price rises.

If of thought variable would be cheaper but with higher risk.

matt_outandabout

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Make sure you put in accurate useage for best comparison.

footflaps

Personally I don’t see the big deal.

I moved to GB as they were the cheapest. 6 months later they said prices going up, do you want to fix for 12 months at current rates. I said yes.

Given that we import most of our gas and the £ has just dropped 20%, all the suppliers will be hiking prices in the near future….

Mowgli
    Free Member

Just switched to Zog for gas, and Iresa for electricity. Both sound a bit mickey mouse, but are also slightly cheaper than the old GBE rates. It seems combined gas and electricity deals are now more expensive than separate deals.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I advise on this stuff for a living.

Don’t use who your mates are using, get on a comparison sure and read Which survey if you like.

Yearly cost varies with usage and postcode, so its the only way to get the best price.

Also use a cashback site for £30-40 back.

tthew

Chestercopperpot and doooosukj – to offer fixed prices, they purchase the gas/elec from the market to cover the term of the fixed price offer. It’s the variable ones they have to build in a buffer for changes as it’s bought over a shorter period, but the customer tariffs don’t move quite so quick.

If it was a truly variable tariff, it’d be up and down every half an hour to follow the spot market price.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘GBEnergy Price Hikes – who you switching to?’ is closed to new replies.