Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Gawton or another Devon ride?
  • reevil
    Free Member

I work in Salcombe for a day every 6 weeks and have a hankering for an overnight camp then a day playing in Devon.

How does Gawton DH compare to, say, FOD?
    I’m not a full on DH rider, but am capable on the DH runs at FOD.

It’ll be midweek so it’ll be quiet I guess. How’s the push up?
    Worth going for a day on my own or should I look at somewhere less DHy and more traily?

tomhughes46

Gawton is different beast… HSD/Proper Job are far longer but comparable in terms of difficultly (probably). The push up is much longer. Super Tavi/Egypt make GBU look tame/easy! Chipshop (Woodlands) is more comparable to FoD, I would say. Try to FB group (Woodland Riders) for someone to hook up with? Remember you need to pay to ride at either.

There is a lot of awesome riding on Dartmoor (and wild camping), but needs a guide or a least some prior research. The off piste at Haldon is also enjoyable if you know where to look.

jam-bo

push up is tough at gawton. not been there much recently but 5-6 runs is a good day. I did 11 once and it nearly killed me.

tavistock woodlands is worth a visit as well. tracks get progressively harder as you move along the hill.

lustleigh cleave and hound tor area have got some epic riding, awesome DH’s and some pretty cool bivi spots. closer to salcombe as well. gawton is at least an hour away.

reevil
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I might put it off until my buddy is free and we can do the uplift.

Might try Haldon Forest.

v666ern
    Free Member

isnt there some DH type stuff in the back of torquay? think i saw it on FB ages ago

cokie

Gawton is awesome! My friend sold his kayak to a chap in Tavistock so we thought we’d make the most of it and took the bikes.

I rode a HT with 140mm forks and he rode my Enduro. It was so much fun! I wasn’t sure what to expect. I tried every trail but the HT beat me up a fair bit. I eneded up riding HSD/Proper Job all day.

We had to push up and this killed us. We managed 12 runs. Not sure how my mate drove back as my legs were jelly.

I really want to go back but sadly live on the other side of the country.

jam-bo

I should go more. I live ten minutes away and haven’t been in about 18 months…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Gawton or another Devon ride?’ is closed to new replies.