Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Gas Boiler Servicing
  • giantjason
    Free Member

Just moved to a new area in the last year and its now about time for the annual boiler service.

To save me being unlucky and getting a cowboy, can anyone recommend or carryout a general service on a gas boiler in the Bristol BS30 area?

bigbloke
    Free Member

I just signed up with British Gas boiler/heating maintenance cover this winter, an annual service is included in the cover.

Most engineers doing it as a one off i would guess charge around £50 for a service, and no doubt some may find a “fault” to bump it up a bit.

teef
    Free Member

Unless there is something wrong with the boiler don’t waste your money they don’t do anything. Mate of mine took out a maintenance contract and his first free service cost him £500 when the boiler was working fine.

totalshell

if you want your boiler servicing get hold of a copy of the manufacturers instructions.. get BG in to do it and insist they follow every step of the service guide.
    most engineers will now only use an exhaust gas analyser to service a boiler .. you stick it in the flue.. it goes beep it says okay.. and your done it says bah and your having a repair not a service.
    many of us time served guys take the thing apart clean check replace seals etc as per instructions but many manufacturers are now of the opinion that we cant put them back together as well as they were in thefactory so the advice is dont touch what aint broke
    as for the snide ‘fault finding’ quote above.. if i make a mistake or take a short cut or innocntly miss something that is gas related i’m legally responsible for up to 4 years and they send engineers to jail regularly so yes i am cautious and wont cut corners to save you 30 quid and risk porridge..

basic service £45 Rochdale prices.

gmandavison
    Free Member

giantjason, I work for one of the worlds leading suppliers of heating controls spares and have so since 2003 and trust me don’t take teef’s advise. As totalshell points out, the last guy who works on a gas appliance is responsible for that gas appliance so if someone does what has apparently happened to teef and something were to go wrong with his mates boiler that guy is risking a jail term and his livelihood. Treat your boiler like you would a car only if your car breaks down in the depths of winter you can’t borrow your mates boiler for an hour. Unfortunately modern boilers ain’t designed to last, believe it or not, and they really do need regular attention some brands more than others!
    B.Gas, SSE and the AA all do descent well worth boiler protection schemes and I believe they all have ready access to manufactures technical fault finding. Another option is to note the make and model of your boiler and give your local plumbers merchant and see if they know of some local heating engineers who prefer to work on that brand and have loads of experience with brand. You can also ring the manufacture and ask for a list of recommended engineers in your area as using this method ensures the engineer has product knowledge if there are any issues with the boiler.

Hope this helps.

wellhung
    Free Member

We’ve had BG cover for 3 years now and cannot find fault with them, before Christmas our boiler broke due to a leaking heat exchanger.

They replaced the heat exchanger and installed the PCB as that had been water damaged.

bruneep

we have contract with worcester bosch to do the servicing, no problems with them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Gas Boiler Servicing’ is closed to new replies.