Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Gary Glitter on Twitter – Social Experiment
  • romster
    Free Member

Don’t know if anyone has seen this or mentioned it yet but parents and people please read on if
    You are interested.

I put my neck on the line and sent the twitter account a message saying exactly what I thought prior to the revelation of the experiment, the neck on the line bit comes from me forgetting I was logged in using my business account oooops!!

I was absolutely sick at the amount of people who condoned his account and showed support for his up and coming “comeback”, it was almost as though they didn’t know his history.

http://glitterontwitter.tumblr.com/

What’s your opinions?

Nick

I’d start by not panicking, and then by educating my children.

MSP

20,000 followers, I bet most of them were hurling abuse at the account so much so as to make it unusable in any practical sense. The “experimenter” won’t tell you that though as they want to portray themselves as a guardian of public morality, and everyone else as morally corrupt in need of his/her guidance.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well over the top in a daily wail style IMO,

Dunno what on earth they thought you were going to prove.

jamiep
    Free Member

M6TTF
    Free Member

Lol that’s brilliant

Edit: I also think what the person did to highlight the issues was excellent!

nealglover
    Free Member

Serafinowicz is a genius, pure straight faced comedy as always :mrgreen:

romster
    Free Member

Still a message to be heard aside of all the “other comedy stuff” though…….right?

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Nope.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

far worse people have got off scott free for far worse crimes.

Its odd he took such afront to the positive comments, some people like his music and are brave enough to say it. Im pretty sure none of them said they would rape a child?

romster
    Free Member

Really Bob? No kids? Or all grown up?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I think we’ll all be better off forgetting about GG. He’s a ****.

romster
    Free Member

That’s a fair point tom, but to continue to follow and support him after his conviction is absolutely wrong IMO. Would you continue to pay a man wages if he worked for you and was convicted of the same crime?

romster
    Free Member

I’m all for That terra, I was just intrigued to hear opinions on the “social experiment” side to this one. 😉

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Yes , got kids. Don’t see that is relevant though. Would I not have a valid opinion without them? But the account would have been unusable for any malevolent purpose, Twitter is a public space, its self regulation would appear to work. Seems all too much about the guy who created the account rather than a justifiable experiment. By that I mean, it has been labelled as an experiment, what was the conclusion; nothing new, or particularly valid imo.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Actually on second thoughts I think the experiment did work, but that is with an assumption that it was an experiment into rabble rousing.

romster
    Free Member

Haha nice one Bob.

Houns

Lolz @ frankie Boyle 😆

romster
    Free Member

Frankie Boyle was why I stumbled across the Glitter page!!!!!

If this whole thing gets just one parent to properly protect their child online then it was worth it IMO.

MSP

If this whole thing gets just one paediatrician removed from our streets then it was worth it IMO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hypocrisy bounds on this Pete Townshend was convicted but seems to escape the vitriol and the Who still tour

+1 for what Terra said

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I have Gary Glitter’s autograph (from many, many, many years ago) – would it be worth anything if I sold it do you think?

joeydeacon
    Free Member

The way I see it someone created the account as a joke, it spiraled out of control, and so rather than get exposed and take the resulting flak, they decided to try and take the moral high ground and present it as if they were trying to highlight a serious issue. Completely pointless – making it illegal for paedophiles to access the internet will make no difference whatsoever – it’s not as if they were scared of breaking the law prior to their conviction(s).

And yep as pointed out above, the same people who act outraged over Mr Glitter will quite happily watch a Polanski film, listen to The Who & R Kelly.

dogbert
    Free Member

always makes me laugh that people still talk in hush tones about Gary Glitter, almost making out that he stalks the earth like a 40 foot robotic overlord of kiddy fiddling. But then if it helps parents sleep better at night knowing they’ve protected their kids a little better by buying into fear mongering while their 12 year old is setting up a date with a convicted sex offender on Facebook through their totally unmonitored web access then good luck to them.

And yep as pointed out above, the same people who act outraged over Mr Glitter will quite happily watch a Polanski film, listen to The Who & R Kelly.

Couldn’t have put it better myself

druidh
    Free Member

dogbert – Member
    always makes me laugh that people still talk in hush tones about Gary Glitter, almost making out that he stalks the earth like a 40 foot robotic overlord of kiddy fiddling. But then if it helps parents sleep better at night knowing they’ve protected their kids a little better by buying into fear mongering while their 12 year old is setting up a date with a convicted sex offender on Facebook through their totally unmonitored web access then good luck to them.

The vast majority of sex offences against young children involve family members. The whole internet thing is a complete red herring.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d happily listen to a Gary Glitter song.

druidh
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvtRkarV5wM[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Classic

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You bunch of Fascists. DezB, thanks for the support.

konabunny
    Free Member

People like you make me sick. Stoning’s too good for you.

DezB
    Free Member

yeah, I’d get stoned to a Gary Glitter song *nods*

Junkyard
    Free Member

The whole internet thing is a complete red herring.

well its not completely a red herring but it is not the greatest risk.

romster
    Free Member

Would you be just as happy buying one?

druidh
    Free Member

Do you look at the criminal record of every employee of every company you have to deal with and then make a value judgement on whether or not you want to spend money with them?

cynic-al
    Free Member

So peadophiles and drugs cheats deserve more punishment than the law doles them out according to what I read on here…

…what about rapists?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I really dont understand your point here druidh
    he is a convicted paedophile who has not been rehabilitated i am perfectly happy to judge him poorly for this and not partake in his music.
    If i knew a company employed convicted unrepentant paedophiles would i give them my money ? No

What exactly is your view? It does not matter? we should not judge?
    We can all listen to hs song about being in his gang knowing what he does and still all sing along?

romster
    Free Member

I don’t get druidh’s point either………

romster
    Free Member

Plus I think the Internet being a red herring thing is a load of bull, putting your child in the care of a family member who you trust, they then abuse that trust by commiting such an act which is almost unpreventable under the circumstances, where as monitoring and policing a child’s Internet usage can prevent them from unnecessary danger. Been some interesting opinions on this actually, bit of an eye opener for me.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Isn’t it extremely difficult, if not impossible to ‘rehabilitate’ a paedophile. The ‘feelings’ will always be there even if they don’t act on them. Which is one of the reasons why they are so villified in the community. They will always pose a threat.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Well, get you lot. Armchair psychiatrists!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Gary Glitter on Twitter – Social Experiment’ is closed to new replies.