Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gary Fisher Rig
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I've just had my first spin – nice! Way nicer than the tank-like unit it's replaced.

It's purple, and I think prone to the seat tube snapping? (it goes 4" above the TT and is unsupported). Can anyone confirm? I'm going to run a thudbuster which will go 1" below the TT, should that be OK?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

do a "goog" and lob the seat tube off at the top tube junction 😉

singlespeedstu

Yep the Rig's and Paragons break at the seattube/toptube junction no matter how much seatpost sticks below the toptube.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

goog
    Free Member

you wanna borrow my special byke sore al?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you should be OK as the tubing flares internally after about an inch (check wth your finger). I ran one with 17st of lard on it and it never failed.

if you know the original owner get it warranteed, most suffered from chainstay wear with the original tyres which prompted a exchange. The 2008 (cream)/9 (rootbeer) frames are essentially paragons and are very nice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

SSS are you ****ting me?

geoffj

Heavier than 17st here and no problems. Check for tyre wear on the chain stays though – depending on year, they were prone to rubbing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey. Is it "fatty" night?

😀 cheers.

singlespeedstu

cynic-al – Member

SSS are you ****ting me?

No. Fisher sent my Mrs a new Paragon frame without even wanting to see the old one it's that common a problem.

This was one of the newer frames that has the extra bit on the toptube to stop this happening aswell.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta. Will contact seller.

PePPeR

yeah its fatty night, my original Purple Rig hasn't snapped yet and I'm a little more than 17st on occasion!

I also changed the rear tyre to stop chainstay wear and apart from putting a longer Thomson seat post in so that it drops right down the seat tube thats all I've done!

Its the best bike I've ever had, I wish I'd bought a paragon really as with gears it would be the only MTB I'd own!

cynic-al
    Free Member

My seat tube appears to taper in below the first 1", so it seems to me the insertion may not matter so much.

firestarter
    Free Member

i had one and my mate had one one had a flared internal seat tube and one didnt neither snapped tho great bikes wish i still had it

singlespeedstu

The sleeve in the seattube only goes down as far as the toptube then after that the seatpost doesn't touch the frame. So it makes no difference how much post is in the frame. (as long as it's level with the bottom of the sleeve)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta. Have contacted seller. While plenty have not broken this one appears to have been well used and I am running a 300mm seatpost at full extension.

I was thinking of getting a wee brace welded on if I can't get it warrantied. Could also then get gear cable stops rivetted on, get a respray & sort out some sort of gear hanger.

Or I suppose I could ream out the sleeve to the same ID as the tube beneath, tho lining it up could be tricky.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gary Fisher Rig’ is closed to new replies.