Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Garmin, what a nice company :-)
  • ajantom

I managed to drive over my Edge 705 yesterday 😳
    Cue much swearing and a broken screen/case.

I rang up Garmin this morning and they will do a no questions asked full replacement for £80. I was very honest and told them the truth, but apparently the replacement service covers all (even really stupid) eventualities. That’s nice of them!

So Garmin, thumbs up.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yeah I had the same thing.

Cracked the face of my 500 whilst taking a tumble out running, replacement was 68 quid for a new one.

Great service, I’ll get another Garmin because of it.

wwaswas

I’ve always been in two minds about this service;

1) It’s great customer service and would actually make me buy their products again because they’ll do the ‘no questions asked’ replacement. So they win by retaining customers and attracting new ones.

2) They probably still make a reasonable profit knocking them out at £70/£80 a time. I suspect it’s not far off the trade price that bigger retailers would pay. So it’s not actually costing them anything to be magnanimous.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well 80 quid is better than 150. Lets be honest no warrenty in the world covers driving over it in the car…..

njee20
    Free Member

I suspect it’s not far off the trade price that bigger retailers would pay. So it’s not actually costing them anything to be magnanimous.

You suspect wrong, the margins are utterly dreadful on Garmin! Someone may be making a chunk on them, but it’s not the retailers.

Interesting to know OP – did you get a new 705, or an 800?

ajantom

Interesting to know OP – did you get a new 705, or an 800?

Not sure yet, as I only rang this morning.
    I’m guessing they’ll have some refurbed/returned Edge 705s in stock for such eventualities.
    An 800 would be a nice surprise, though I’m not betting on it!

wwaswas

You suspect wrong, the margins are utterly dreadful on Garmin!

fair enough. I just remember paying £130 for a 305 and then getting a replacement for £70 and thinking that the difference was probably in the ‘supply chain’ post Garmin.

njee20
    Free Member

Ah well that’s a bit different! A 705 was more like £300 retail, so no retailer was paying £70 for them.

£70 for a £130 retail product probably is covered by distributor/dealer mark ups.

I’m guessing they’ll have some refurbed/returned Edge 705s in stock for such eventualities.

I suspect you’re right, if not I’m off to drive over my 705!

grum
    Free Member

What’s to stop unscrupulous people using this policy then flogging them? You don’t even have to prove you broke it/send it back?

wwaswas

You don’t even have to prove you broke it/send it back?

you have to send it back.

Officially, you get a refurbed replacement but the ones I have look brand new so not sure whether they do refurb them or just say they do to avoid complaints from retailers.

grum
    Free Member

Oh ok. 🙂

jairaj

Well 80 quid is better than 150. Lets be honest no warrenty in the world covers driving over it in the car…..

Its called a crash replacement warranty/policy. Many people offer them on many different bike products.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I got my Edge 800 from a cash converters and 13 months down the line the thing started tripping out due to water getting in and the connectors corroding because of me dripping sweat all over it while on the turbo. Phoned Garmin who said they would replace it without issue. They sent me a refurbished model back. The whole process took 3 days. Very impressed.

ajantom

So to update….

Sent my broken Edge 705 to Garmin on Tuesday, and I received what appears to be a brand new Edge 705 Yesterday. Sweet 😀

bikeneil
    Free Member

I drove over my Cateye computer some weeks back. I ordered another one from wiggle which cost me £35 and it arrived the next day, so thanks Cateye for allowing me to buy a replacement.

stufive
    Free Member

I had an issue with a three year old edge 500 they replaced it for 65 quid or something but never took the money 🙂

cmadd
    Free Member

Replaced my 200 after crashing my bike , no probs

CaptJon
    Free Member

Good to know.

ajantom

bikeneil
    I drove over my Cateye computer some weeks back. I ordered another one from wiggle which cost me £35 and it arrived the next day, so thanks Cateye for allowing me to buy a replacement

Ummm, wrong end of stick?

The GPS would’ve cost me £250 or so to buy a new one, so £80 was quite a good deal. I doubt Cateye would sell you a new one for less than half price after driving over it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

or, you spend £150 on an edge 500.

and when the wheel-sensor packs up within 8 months, they could tell you to…

‘buy a new one?’

old_mtber
    Free Member

Interesting thread. I’ve got a fairly old Garmin Edge 705 that has now suffered the well known software problem of refusing to connect to the computer although all else works OK. Anyone think it would be worth my while to contact Garmin for a replacement?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[quote]Its called a crash replacement warranty/policy. Many people offer them on many different bike products. [/quote]

Giro don’t count driving over helmets as ‘crash damage’. Besides, giro’s crash replacement really is only about 10% less than CRC prices (if that).

So Garmin’s offer is pretty good, it was even just about worth it on my ancient 305, could have got it fixed and flogged it on ebay for a profit despite being 5+ years old!

or, you spend £150 on an edge 500.

and when the wheel-sensor packs up within 8 months, they could tell you to…

‘buy a new one?’

£16 from decathlon, a pain, but not worth complaining about?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Garmin, what a nice company :-)’ is closed to new replies.