Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • garmin (touring) "calculating" for ages?
  • jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

I’ve loaded a route from someone else onto my garmin (new, so i don’t know what’s normal) and when i open it, it says “calculating” and ticks up a percentage for about half an hour.. Is that normal? i realise it has to work out which turn is left and which is right etc but it’s not fast..

Does it have to do that every time you open it?

Is there a way to pre-do it on a computer first, or is that maybe only with tracks you build within garmin software? It was a track shared via garmin connect so perhaps not.

I’m using the velomap open street map, does that make a difference?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Nope that’s not normal. Yes you can sort it out on garmins free download – base camp. It’s very good. I suspect it’s a long route with too many points. 30 is maximum. You can create a route for example using auto route for a 100miles using only 5 or 6 tops.

If you need a massive route. Use the trail format

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

ok, cool – 4662 points!

it did get to the end of its calculating but obviously not too convenient..

It’s a 100 mile route – someone rode it and saved it – is it possible to convert to a more useful format (trail?) or does it need to be drawn?

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

aha – i found i could filter the track to a max number of points and it’s now significantly faster!

I’m going to need to use this for a 2000 mile route – will i just need to make multiple low-point routes?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘garmin (touring) "calculating" for ages?’ is closed to new replies.