Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Garmin Swim Watch / Alternatives
  • teef
    Free Member

I currently use the SwimTag system at the local pool to but I’m thinking of getting myself a Garmin Swim watch for Xmas – are they any good? What are the alternatives – Shouldn’t be too bulky, Approx £100, Swim data downloadable.

turboferret

The Garmin Swim is a very neat little watch, runs on a standard coin-cell battery which lasts about a year, downloads to your computer via an ANT+ stick. Good day-to-day watch too. Been out several years now, so not as up to date as some offerings, no Bluetooth for example, but I’ve had great experience with mine.

The alternative is the Garmin Vivoactive, which does indoor swimming along with GPS for running/biking etc. A lot more features and probably a lot more for your money, but you’d need to charge it frequently which is about the only down-side I can think of.

Cheers, Rich

IHN

If it’s of any use, I’ve got a brand spanking Garmin 910xt I’d probably let go for £100ish. Bought it for the Mrs but it’s too big for her tiny wrists. It does loads of swimming cleverness.

Caher

Check out swimovate – i use one and works pretty well.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i have a 910xt and as much as i cannot stand garmin (based on the appalling level of customer service i received when it flooded after just a few months, for instance being told it was condensation and i should expect it when infact there was enough water sloshing about in the unit to water a desert) the swim recording it offers is very good both pool and open water.

if you are spending 100quid you can probably get one for not much more this time of year, week after xmas especially, and you can use it running/biking etc as well.

timidwheeler

I’ve got a Vivoactive. The swim function works quite well. It also works as a fitness tracker/step counter as well as having a GPS for running and riding. To be honest it’s a good little tool. I have down loaded an app that gives me a 6 figure grid reference which will be handy out in the hills. It also works as a smart watch and shows me texts and emails. I didn’t have any interest in a smart watch before I got it, but it is surprisingly useful.

On the downside it’s a Garmin. So the support is useless. Make sure you buy from somewhere like Amazon or John Lewis who will sort things out for you if it breaks.

timidwheeler

I should add the Vivoactive battery lasts about 2 weeks with normal use but lots of GPS use drains it. The swimming app doesn’t seem to use too much juice.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I have a Swimovate Poolmate Pro watch which I got from Proswimwear last summer. It is a great accessory for swimming indeed, and I can recommend you to use it too. You will like it definitely

Got one of these for mrs blobby. Takes a while to get your head around the way it records sessions and she still finds it a bit confusing at times. Maybe it’s a bit more intuitive if you’re an experienced club swimmer and use to doing drills.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Swim Watch / Alternatives’ is closed to new replies.