Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Garmin strap fail??
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

Out on a ride my front light fell off, it’s a exposure light and the holder uses a hook and loop silicon strap, anyway the strap failed and the light fell off.
    Luckily I wasn’t going fast so I managed to notice it and pick the light up off the floor, now the light in question is less than a year old….so it made me think
    What about my Garmin??…..it uses a similar hook and loop band on its holder…now if that fails and the garmin comes off…..I won’t be happy
    So has anyone has a garmin strap fail ??..or am I worrying too much??…I can’t get the bar clamp holders as I have integral aero type road bars so I have to use the PC mount onit

riddoch

Depending on the model garmin garmin have a attachment point for a safety strap, the edge 1000 does and comes with a strap in the box.
    Probably best to change the silicon bands on a regular basis.

njee20
    Free Member

I lost an Exposure Flare when (I presume) the band failed. Being on my seatpost i didn’t notice it going until I got home.

Never lost a Garmin o-ring, I’d have thought having a pair would mean it’d be ok.

FWIW – hook and loop is the non trademarked name for Velcro, I presume you don’t have a Velcro light fitting though…?

cheekyget
    Free Member

FWIW – hook and loop is the non trademarked name for Velcro, I presume you don’t have a Velcro light fitting though…?

Ahh yeah….I knew I’ve heard it before somewhere!!…… :D…my bad

It’s the 520 I have btw…..but losing any garmin would still be gutting!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never lost one yet, you can sub the bands for zip ties. If paranoid and dont want to move em about.

You can also get quarter turns that mount on the stem top cap.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Not all o-rings are created equal, the ones Garmin use are special material (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM)) specifically designed for the purpose.
    If you’re that worried though why not get one of the bar or stem mounts specifically designed for Garmin.

cookeaa

Assuming you still have a top spacer on your steerer could you use something like this?

Or an aero bar, out front mount like this?

To help do away with O-ring mounts…

a few other options here maybe?

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’m loving the steerer mount one…cheers cookeaa

jimdubleyou

I use the safety strap on my garmin. Good job too as when I came off last week it got pinged off the bars.

cheekyget
    Free Member

There’s a safety strap??

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have a 800 and I use a silicon case for it. I loop a bit of strong thread (fishing line) through the holes in the case then onto the bars. The Garmin has only come off once, but the unit was retained by this setup.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Garmin strap fail??’ is closed to new replies.