Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin speed sensor
  • servo
    Free Member

I have had an Edge 200 for a while and the only thing I don’t like is the loss of signal under trees etc. I like to look at my speed on a climb but it just fluctuates wildly when it loses signal.

I have just bought an Edge 510 because it can use an external wheel speed sensor.

I have seen the new wireless sensor that goes on the wheel hub so I ordered the Edge with Speed/Cadence sensor and heart rate monitor.

Just been delivered and the speed sensor is a magnet based thing that sits on the chainstay.

Is the speed sensor on the hub any better than the magnet one?
    I think it looks better but is it worth the upgrade?
    I can send the whole kit back and just get the 510 on it’s own and the hub speed sensor separately.

Thanks!

njee20
    Free Member

I prefer the look of the GSC-10 (that you have). I think the hub mounted one is a bit clunky.

Nowt to stop you sending what you have back and getting the unit only, then getting the sensors though. Bear in mind that if you get the accelerometer speed sensor you’ll have to get the cadence one too, or live without. You can’t use the GSC-10 for one or t’other apparently.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Only the 1000 comes with new sensors in the kit, the other kits use the combined sensor.

I had the combined on the chainstay and just moved to the magnetless versions purely because I didn’t want a lump ziptied to the chainstay on my new bike.

Performance seems the same. On the road, aesthetics is the main difference.

For an MTB the combined job could be vulnerable to knocks and end up in the spokes so I’d go for the magnetless.

njee20
    Free Member

Run it under the stay – it looks neater, and if it does get knocked into the spokes it gets pushed back out again.

servo
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try it as it is. I have a black bike so should not look too bad. I do agree that the hub one does look a bit odd. When I first saw it I thought it was a Knog type light in a daft place!

When I bought my new bike I wanted a new computer. Wireless one was £50 so guy in shop said why not get an Edge 200 for £90? So I thought why not. Plus £30 for K-edge bracket 😐

Now I have bought an Edge 510 for £200+ just to get the speed reading right! 🙂

jfletch
    Free Member

The main advantage of the magnetless one is the ability to swap easily between wheels.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

The main advantage of the magnetless one is the ability to swap easily between wheels

As opposed to taking a magnet off a spoke? I considered this recently so I might just use the GSC-10 under the chainstay as suggested.

davieg
    Free Member

I had been swapping my magnet between the wheels I run on the road and on the turbo. A friend pointed out the novel idea that I would not need the speed sensor on the road, as GPS should be determining the speed. Not that taking the magnet off was particularly onerous, just one less thing to forget to do.

Milkie
    Free Member

…or a completely insane idea here… Buy a 2nd magnet. 😯

I have the 705 & 800 and they have always shown the speed while climbing through forest trees, but I don’t really check that often. I can’t imagine there being too much difference in hardware between the 500 and 800 series.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I spotted these on Amazon the other day, may be of interest in here:

Alternative Spoke Magnet on Amazon

Alternative Pedal Magnet on Amazon

Sandwich

I’ve had 2 of the GSC10 type, both were useless on my road bike chain stays. Only really stay put on rounded stays, the heavily sculpted jobs I have made it a pain to mount them and they died of water ingress. They regularly got knocked out of alignment with the magnet leading to loss of information.
    The new type arrived two days ago and seems to connect better. Time will tell if it’s any better.

julzm
    Free Member

I bought mine direct from Garmin in March. Got the 510 performance pack, with HRM and new hub based speed sensor and separate cadence sensor. The huh one goes in front wheel, barely noticeable, same with the cadence sensor which is slightly more noticeable. Actually only just figured our how to pair them this week but all working perfectly now.

Perhaps it’s an older pack you’ve been sent?
    (I had to buy direct from garmin as I had a 50% off deal through pruhealth/vitality. )

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use 3 bikes with their own gs10 thingy. Must admit to only 2 years but the gravel bhas has seen 9000 miles and never failed. Just sling any old spoke magnet on and one of those super strong magnets from eBay on the pedal axle.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin speed sensor’ is closed to new replies.