Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Garmin…. pathetic
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Edge 810 was brilliant, Edge 1000 even betterer..

Ya’ just bought a dodgy one out of a batch, but £76 to fix it doesn’t sound unreasonable considering it costs £50 or so to get a watch battery replaced.

stumpy01

My 500 is/was rubbish, for the amount of money it cost…

Every time a software update was done, it borked something else.
    The breadcrumb trail thing works intermittently & is very fussy about how you set the route up. What normally happens is just as I get to the first unfamiliar bit of the ride, the breadcrumb disappears just long enough for me to wonder where the hell I should be going & then come back to tell me I’ve gone the wrong way before disappearing again.

The battery indicator when charging never shows less than 100%, whether I have used it for an hour or 5.

One of the intenal buttons went a bit intermittent – the main page/menu button and due to the requirement to press it many many times to get it to work, a hole as been worn in the rubber housing where that button sits.
    In the end I got a replacement button from a Russian guy on eBay and a colleague who works for an electronics manufacturing company got it soldered on for me.

I don’t really use it enough to justify splashing out on a new device, but I am hoping when the time comes to finally retire the 500 & get something new, there will be enough other options out there that Garmin can be given a wide berth.

Navigating to the bike selection screen takes a ridiculous number of clicks & the Garmin Connect software is absolute toilet.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have an edge touring.
    It’s fine for tracking rides, but not that easy to put a GPS track on to or to use it for navigation by itself. Guess it’s an old model though.

It did just turn itself into a brick one day and I had to send back to Garmin who fixed it for free under warranty. I imagine this new one will do so too and then I’d buy something else.

dragon
    Free Member

Garmin Edge 25 is fairly solid and has all of what you need unless you really need mapping or power meter comparability. The lack of some of the fancy features is not necessarily a bad thing, as it makes it cheaper, lighter and more robust.

aP
    Free Member

I had a 305 for years and years, then an 800 which was fine (once the first update doubled the battery life). I out it “somewhere safe” after Paris-Roubaix this year and needed nav for a couple of events so got an Edge 820 – which seems very good – long battery life, turn-by-turn routes, but an appalling interface which I want to smash nearly every time I use it. But once its finally deigned to bring up the screen I want rather than asking me to connect to facebook or something equally stupid, its great.

Trimix
    Free Member

I use a very old Oregon, several years old.

No software faults, works every time all the time. Had it for about 6 years, then I got a refurbished one for zero when I sent them mine with a scratched screen and some drop off on the speed it processed.

Then sadly I broke it by falling off.

Bought a new one from EBay. Some random shop still had one in stock. Seems some of the older stuff just works better.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I have an Edge 800 (probably about 7 years old) and it’s been out in all weathers, and plenty of rain when I lived in Manchester and used it daily. Still works perfectly 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

On my 3rd 800:

1st one died in the rain on 2011 Dragon Ride – got warranty replacement
    2nd one corroded so much in the USB port that no connection possible – got £76 refurbed replacement
    3rd one mostly works but touch screen doesn’t work top right half so not sure how long it’ll last now. This one has lasted the longest.

I like decent mapping which only Garmin seem to do though the Hammerhead looks good.

Duggan

I’ve only ever had one garmin which is the 820 I bought recently. I was expecting to be gaping in awe at my move to a brand new piece of tech that would revolutionise my riding. Imagine my disappointment when realised it’s an utter shower of shit. I’m honestly gobsmacked that a company that surely should have totally monopolised the market have executed the whole thing so incredibly badly.

The software is pathetic and I’m sick of the relentless updates and I’ve given up trying to fix any glitches as there’s so many of them. It unilaterally decides to change important settings for no apparent reason and prompted by nobody and unless I’ve studied a route pretty carefully in advance I’d never put my total faith in it to get me anywhere.

Utter crap and I’ll never buy garmin again.

hammerite
    Free Member

I’ve had various Garmins for the last 12 years. All worked great and actually all still work fine now. The others don’t get much use any more, but my 500 gets used for every ride I go on.

Garmin used to be great with replacements or repairs. Maybe things have changed.

njee20
    Free Member

I had a 705 for 6 years, now had a 1000 for 3 years, ne’er a hint of trouble with either, what are you lot doing?!

deadkenny
    Free Member

My 510 was a struggle initially with dodgy firmware that kept trashing rides in various situations. I’m on 4.40 now and even though there are a couple of newer versions I’m reluctant to update it as it just works for me.

Except for bluetooth, which is just utter crap. Never pairs with a phone. Doesn’t matter what phone. Android phones, Windows even. 9 times out of 10 fails to pair and have to reboot the Garmin each time to stand a chance of it pairing.

Also, Garmin Express is banned from my computers. It forces firmware updates on you and I was having issues with my tablet not going to sleep properly and draining the battery, and Windows sleep study pointed at Garmin Express. So said goodbye to that.

mintimperial – Member 
    From here, hidden in the Guarantees for Faulty Goods section. We are still crushed by the oppressive jackboot of the EU, so you still enjoy that right, for now.

UK trumps EU warranty anyway and goes to 6 years. Though it’s a lot more difficult after the initial 6 months. Then becomes down to you to prove the fault was there from the start.

flaps
    Free Member

I bought a 520 a couple of weeks ago, looked great and worked really well with my iPhone but distance and elevation were off compared to previous results from me and mates and the big problem for me was the maps. I’d spend ages plotting one, move it across only to find it cut three miles of it out?!? I only found when out on the bike too which was problematic. It didn’t do anything more than my phone really so I took it back.

flaps
    Free Member

What are Polar ones like?

I fancied an edge 820 but guess the maps would do the same and the touch screen is meant to be temperamental, plus don’t want to spend £300.

I’m considering a Bolt.

stumpy01

njee20 – Member

I had a 705 for 6 years, now had a 1000 for 3 years, ne’er a hint of trouble with either, what are you lot doing?!

Based on the responses in this thread, it’s probably more a case of ‘what are you doing to make the work faultlessly for so long?’…

😆

I forgot in my mini-rant above to mention that when I first got my Garmin, it read out on distance by exactly 10% when compared to my mate’s Garmin. Because we weren’t sure which one was reading incorrectly, I used mine on the drive home & it was 10% out on the odometer.
    Fixed with a firmware update eventually…

scud
    Free Member

My 510 has a great in built feature.. it over exaggerates elevation by 10-25% and makes me look like a riding god

Mine really over exaggerates the “Calories burned” so i eat too much cake….

twinklydave

Edge 200: Brilliant little thing. Bought 5 years ago, still going, somewhere. On the back of tht I decided I’d upgrade to a 500…

Edge 500: Quite good. Had the (programmed in?) bug when using it to navigate.
    “off course!”
    “course found!”
    “off course!”
    “course found!”
    /breadcrumb screen goes blank for a bit
    “off course!”
    “course found!”
    Died just out of warranty, but Garmin sent a refurb unit as a replacement for free which is still going (with that same course bug). On the back of that warranty support I decided to upgrade to a 810…

Edge 810: OK. Seems very clever, but has crashed twice while on long rides (I guess on short rides there just isn’t as much time to go wrong!). Both times turning it off and on again got it going but wiped the ride data, which then had to be manually dug out while plugged into a pc.

Most unintuitive menu layouts ever.

Leave it to plot a route itself and you are guaranteed a magical mystery tour of all the back alleys, dried out river beds and fenced off footpaths in the local vicinity. That’s probably classed as a feature.

The more you spend the worse it gets…

mudshark
    Free Member

There’s speculation about a 1000 replacement as it’s a bit old now….

risotto
    Free Member

Replaced a Garmin Edge 1000 after 5 months with a Lezyne Enhanced Super GPS. Navigation on the Garmin was utterly garbage except it kept you fitter as navigation would break down after about 20 miles so you drive around finding your way which gives you longer rides – don’t know if this is a feature….

The Lezyne is about a third of the price but three times better. Haven’t failed me yet after 4 months. Turn by turn navigation uses arrows and street names. It works surprisingly well even though there are no maps.

The best feature: grap your phone, enter the Lezyne app, point to a destination, choose the route you prefer and hit go. The map (google based) is sent to the Lezyne via bluetooth and off you go. Dead simple and it works every time. Battery life is fantastic, needs a charge every 2-3 weeks, the Garmin was at least once a week. It syncs with Strava if that’s your thing.

I would say that the Garmin was ok with performance data and it has good menus. I also liked the screen, the fonts and the layout. But with crappy and slow hardware I’m amazed they can sell them for the price of a mid-range smartphone that is much more advanced. Even more amazed that the world leader and innovator in car navigation can’t put a decent map on their bike gps products and guide you back to your route.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Turn by turn navigation uses arrows and street names. It works surprisingly well even though there are no maps.

does this work well off road?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Garmin…. pathetic’ is closed to new replies.