• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Garmin "out front" mount. Where from, and is the Garmin branded one worth the £?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Swapped handlebars on the road bike and need to get some new bands to refit the mount. Started thinking I could treat myself to a new mount instead.

Bit of a wrench at £20 for a bit of plastic, so hopping there’s a Chinese version for pennies someone can suggest please! 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of cheap sram branded ones (from wiggle I think) and the garmin one. Garmin one is better quality but they do the job equally.

verses

I use one of these, does the job;
    http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=323

Mate has one of these, also does the job and look marginally nicer;
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-quickview-garmin-computer-mount/

tragically1969
    Free Member

The Superstar ones are fine.

nemesis
    Free Member

I have a SRAM quickview one which is about £15. Does the job perfectly.

I also have a no-name ebay one which was £8 which works just as well

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers, how does that XCRacer type on fit to the handlebars? Sorry for the dumb question.

jimc101
    Free Member

If for using off road, would look at the Barfly 3.0, as kit keeps the device on top of the stem, reducing the chance of any potential damage in a crash. The plastic is high quality, and is easy to swap between bike with one hex bolt to undo.

For the fitting, it’s the same as the XCRacer above; undo the bolt, and the plastic is flexible enough to allow you to pull it apart to clip over the handlebars.

nemesis
    Free Member

It just clamps on same as the SRAM one below… The white/black spacer is just if you’re using non OS bars.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Using the SRAM one several big crashes all fine

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’ve got superstar ones on all my bijes they’re great and when you fall off and bend them they bend back okay too 😆

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m not sure that on top of the stem is actually better. if I crash my mtb, I don’t usually ride into something, it’s more that I come off and the bike carries on. In those situations, the computer on top of the stem leaves it in what seems like a fairly vulnerable position from which it can’t move – at least the out front ones can move round the bar

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

K-edge do some very nice CNC ones, in diff colours.
    Also they got combo one that can fit a go pro underneath.
    (if you got a mount already you can just get the go pro ad on mount)

iainc

useful thread, just ordered one of those XCRacer ones, under a tenner and free postage 🙂

chillidave
    Free Member

Superstar one is very good and can be mounted backwards over the stem and you don’t have to remove anything to fit it. I assume the plastic ones have to be slid down the bars.

dudeofdoom

Got the sram but my fav is the superstar one with the gopro mount (£20)

nemesis
    Free Member

The plastic ones are split and just flex over the bar once you take the bolt out.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

jimc101 – Member
    If for using off road, would look at the Barfly 3.0, as kit keeps the device on top of the stem, reducing the chance of any potential damage in a crash.

Unless you hit the Garmin with your knee in an almost crash high side styleee and break the Barfly and Garmin. Still yet to hear back from Barfly about the lifetime crash replacement 6 months later, I’m putting an out front back on the XC bike, still can’t decide whether to go Barfly or out front for teh ENDURO’z though.

seanbolton
    Free Member
    JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of spare out front mounts if you want – a tasteful mint green low mount one (puts the face of the garmin level with the top of the bars for max aero radness), or a SRAM high mount one (puts the bottom of the garmin level with the top of the bars, as per the pic above.

£5 posted for the green one, tenner posted for the SRAM one.

joneATfisherproductionsDOTcoDOTuk

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Green clashes horribly with my bike. Cheers all, ordered from XCRacer!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The Superstar ones are fine.

every time someone buys an SS component a crow scratches a baby’s face and a fairy drowns in kitten’s tears. Think of the children and get the SRAM.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Quite a few posts on the Garmin forums about the mounting lugs breaking off Edge 500/510’s non Garmin mounts seemed to be a contributing factor.

TiRed

SRAM and XC racer mount the garmin higher. The K Edge keeps it lower with the top of the garmin in line with or below the top of the stem. I think this is a nicer look (have both mounts on different bikes), and really rate the K Edge which matches the chain catcher 8)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Garmin "out front" mount. Where from, and is the Garmin branded one worth the £?’ is closed to new replies.