Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Garmin Oregon 600 or Montana 650 or another make recommend?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Looking to get a GPS unit with UK mapping for use for walking and biking.
    I’ve been looking at the Garmin Oregon 600 or Montana 650 but can’t really decide between the two.
    The Oregon is smaller so potentially better for biking and Summer walks the Montana is bigger so better visually and has a screen i can use with gloves on.
    Both come with full UK 1:50k OS mapping.
    Montana is about £100 more that i’m happy to spend if its worth it.
    What do ya reckon STW?

scotroutes

For a handlebar mount, I reckoned the Montana was just too big. I’m perfectly happy with my Oregon 600 for cycling and walking.

nedrapier

I wouldn’t want anything bigger than the Oregon on a bike. It’s chunky enough.

I like mine, used it for walking, ski-touring and biking.

I wouldn’t bother with OS mapping. Even though the ones you’re looking at come with it included, you’re likely to get decent savings finding a package without mapping.

There’s a variety of open source maps out there, some made to look as close as possible to OS, some different/ better. They tend to be better to view at different zooms than the OS mapping, being vectors rather than images.

Also, if you’re going to be using it abroad, you’re going to be downloading local maps anyway, so you may as well get used to OSM style maps I’ve had winter specific Norwegian maps, biking specific Slovenian, Italian and Finnish maps too, as well as mtb UK maps.

yoshimi

Interesting, going through the same thought process at the moment, although I’m looking at the 64S – I like the idea of something quite rugged with buttons

…so if I wanted to get some mapping for Yosemite, where would I look?

nedrapier

I don’t know myself, but I’m sure a bit of googling would get you to a discussion somewhere on “What OSM Hiking Maps for Yosemite?”

scotroutes

OSM vs OS isn’t simple;
    I like the familiarity of OS mapping.
    OSM can be a bit patchy in terms of coverage (yes, I do contribute).
    OSM seems to scroll/scale better/faster on the Oregon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Oregon 600 or Montana 650 or another make recommend?’ is closed to new replies.