Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Garmin GPS – creating courses
  • ash258369
    Free Member

Hi, does anyone know the best way to create a course for Garmin GPS?

I want to create a courses for segments taken from longer rides (for specific sections/climbs) but with the time for my pb pace included. I can create a course from the ride but as soon as I edit this I loose my actual pace/time from the ride and get the constant average pace. Im sure it can be done, just not sure how…

johnnystorm

Sign up to Strava, feed your rides into that and then draw out your segments. It’ll give you the times just for that section.

ash258369
    Free Member

Already use strava for segments. I wanted to try and use the training partner on the gps to pace me over a time trial course

druidh
    Free Member

My Garmin Edge 705 has the Virtual Training Partner which seems to do exactly what you want. It compares my ride with a ride I’ve previously recorded.

rotor
    Free Member

I use BikeHike to create courses, the best way I can think of to get a different pace for a specific part of a course is to create a seperate course for the part you want a specific pace for (TT segment). You would then be able to set the pace you wanted for that bit.

roverpig

Am I right in thinking that you want to take bits from different rides, combine them in a course and still have the virtual training partner working “properly” (rather than just using average speed)?

I suspect that’s going to be tricky and you’d need some software that would edit the timestamps for each track point to make them consistent. Something like GPSUtility (http://www.gpsu.co.uk/features.html) might do it. There is mention of editing tracks on that page, but I’m not sure about splicing bits of multiple tracks together. If you can get a track in gpx format then TCXconverter (http://www.teambikeolympo.it/TCXConverter/TeamBikeOlympo_-_TCX_Converter/TCX_Converter_ENG.html) does quite a nice job of converting it to a course that the Garmin will understand.

Anyway, good luck and let us know if you crack it.

Cheers,

Andy

ps. Looking at the page for TCXconverter I see that it also mentions that you can “Join multiple GPX files into one big course”. So maybe that’s all you need.

boblo
    Free Member

roverpig – Member
    ps. Looking at the page for TCXconverter I see that it also mentions that you can “Join multiple GPX files into one big course”. So maybe that’s all you need.

I’ve tried combining multiple GPX (or TCX) files into one combined route file using TCXconverter and it isn’t always 100% succesful. Slight hijack, does anyone know how to do this reliably please?

As for the OP, if he wants to combine and keep meaningful time stamp data, I’d agree he’ll need a couple of steps to achieve this. One to combine the files and then edit the comined file time stamps in an HTML editor.

Or, ride the route once and get your baseline and then ride again against this?

ash258369
    Free Member

Sorry, probably didn’t explain this to well, I’ve recorded a load of rides using my phone and wanted to crop rides to extract segments for some climbs/laps/time trial courses where ive set a pb. Just got a new garmin so wanted to use these as individual courses to race against using the training partner. I would prefer to open the segment ‘course’ during the ride as I go rather than have the whole ride mapped out.

Solution was fairly easy – sorted it by manually editing the gpx xml. I used tcx converter to identify the start and end points using the preview, thanks for the recomendation. I think you could edit the gpx from within tcx converter but found it a bit buggy – often crashed when exporting after i removed points. I was using the mac version so might try the windows version instead

Riding them again to get the baseline was just too simple a solution!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Garmin GPS – creating courses’ is closed to new replies.