Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin for off road/ trail use
  • europeanbob
    Free Member

hi guys this may have been asked before sorry if it has but I am thinking of getting a second hand Garmin or another type of GPS device .
    I use strava but it isn’t very accurate and would like to use something for training as well as recording miles completed and rides completed any advice on what to look for would be great .

I would like to have a cadence recorder so I can make sure I am not wasting energy with incorrect cadence .

cheers

jonba
    Free Member

Second hand you are probably looking at a Garmin 800 or 810. Maps can be expensive although depending on where you ride the open source stuff can be ok and had for free.

details on maps here

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

aldi did have some cheap 810s but they can also be had reasonably cheap elsewhere right now as they have bought out the 820.

810 does all the HRM, cadence stuff you would ever need.

tthew

Do you want maps though? The 25 works with external sensors, like heart rate and cadence, £95 at Wiggle, (plus the cost of the cadence snesor). Think the Lezyne ones do too, they got good reviews recently.

julzm
    Free Member

I’m going to be putting a garmin 510 on the buy/sell early next week when I get a chance. Email me if interested.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m gonna sell my edge 520, email in profile if interested.

butcher

Etrex 20 is good for navigation, and long battery life from AA batteries makes it good for multi-day trips and stuff.

For what you describe though, something like the Edge 500 is a classic, with loads of training functions, and optional heart rate, cadence, power, etc. Really good for day to day stuff, easy to use, and more info than you’ll need. Not the best for navigating off road however. If that’s a requirement, you’ll maybe want to look at the 800.

I’m not so familiar with the newer ones, 510, 520, 810, etc. But pretty sure you can get stuff like live Strava segments, bluetooth connectivity and stuff…

Edge 25 looks decent for the price if you want something simple, but short battery life I think.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a 510 for road riding/training/recording rides in areas I know well and an Oregon for areas that I don’t know well or need the mapping (OSM) for.

Check out dcrainmaker’s blog for the cycling specific models like the Edge series but I haven’t come across a similar resource for the generic models like the Oregon so you might have to do your own research as to what device will pair with what sensor or what features it has.

The Oregon will pair with a HRM and, I think, a cadence sensor but not training specific things like power meters. The 510 will do bluetooth connectivity to your phone so you can upload rides to Strava at the earliest possible opportunity. I think Strava segment notification requires having a premium account. Invariably you’ll find that your requirements are split across two devices 😳

scotroutes

I’m finding the Oregon does everything I need.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I picked up a used 800 asy first bike gps
    It’s got a lot of features some may be more useful to you than others.
    I chose it over more basic models as it has decent map screen with your route to follow.
    Rather than just a bread crumb trail.
    I’m using free osm maps find them very good
    All info on how to download and instal is on the DC rainmaker web site.

Battery life is 12/14 hours
    It will sync up to strava so you don’t need to run your phone as well.
    Overall I like it.

prawny

The Garmins with Bluetooth make life easier than Ines you need to plug in to get the info off, would recommends a 510 or 810 over the 5/800 just for that (it’s the only difference over the 800 I think) I use to have an 800, but because I didn’t use a computer very often I ended up using my phone instead so I could get to the info quicker. With my 810 it syncs to Garmin and Strava as soon as I press stop.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for an 800 or 810

The user interface is pretty unintuitive for set-up, but it’s fine once you’ve got it how you want it.

Usually fine for following pre-loaded routes, not so great for navigating on the fly though.

Get a Sram quickview mount for it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin for off road/ trail use’ is closed to new replies.