Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Garmin Etrex10 pre purchase thoughts
  • hora
    Free Member

About to pull the trigger- I can download gpx files easily and follow the routes etc etc fine on this in the Lakes etc??

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Two things to note-

No maps built in “basemap” will just about show the motorway network. You will be able to see a line and whether you’re on it or not

I’ve had older pre mapping B&w Garmin. Currently have an Eurex 20 (colour screen) and use it with OS mapping. The B&w line on map solution is easier to follow sometimes but of course you have far less info.

cp

Gpx files will just give you a line tho follow, there will be no map and you can’t add road or trail maps to it. The included base map is a bit of a misnomer and is useless.

hora
    Free Member

Would it be better to go to the Etrx20, spend a tad more?

I dont want to get into wallet wars.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Etrex 20 is colour but maps are still extra.

hora
    Free Member

But you can download maps whereas the etrex10 you cant at all? All I want is something where I can download someones ride that they created on gpx and glance down and say ok – keep going, turn left in abit.

Conan257
    Free Member

Not sure if the interface has changed, but it wouldn’t connect via USB to a windows 8 laptop…

5thElefant
    Free Member

I have the 20, which I think is the same but colour. Open street maps can be had for free or something like £10 on a pre-packaged sd card which seem every bit as good as Os stuff.

Adding / removing gpx files is easy enough but you can’t make it record to sd card, they go to internal memory, so you have to use a cable to get them off.

hora
    Free Member

5thElefant so I could take this: http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/content/route-guide-003-mtb-circuit-of-coniston-quality-descents-best-kept-secret-out.aspx

Download the GPX onto my pc then transfer straight across. It’ll then show me on the map where I am in relation to where I should be and if I’m deviating?

This is ALL NEW to me! I just need to fill in the gaps to how it all works and how I’d like something to work for me. (If that makes sense).

Edit: I want a device where I load a gpx route that someone else has already created. I power up and set off- it shows me which way I should turn and its clear if I’m deviating. Of course you cant have a satnav that says ‘turn around if possible’ – just something that is visually clear.

..it might also show cheeky trails on a gpx route. I’d like that 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

On the etrex 20, yes.

If you don’t have a map installed you’ll just see a route to follow and an arrow showing where you are in relation to it. With a map installed you’ll see it overlayed on a map. It doesn’t give you any instructions (turn left in 50m etc), just the visual route.

I think the 10 is the same, just doublecheck it supports maps.

hora
    Free Member

I don’t think the 10 does- the 20 adds this ability.

If I wanted to download a map of the Lakes onto the 20 – where could I get it from?

cp

there’s a nice little comparison chart on the ‘info’ tab at the bottom of this page:-

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/garmin-etrex-20-gps-p191377

etrex 20 comes with Open Street Map (OSM) maps of the UK – these are very good with trails shown. Some people prefer them to OS maps. If you want more of the world, free OSM maps are available to download here:-

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Marko

Hora,

I’ve had various Garmins. Get the one that allows you to display the OS maps. I think the Etrex 30 is the first model in the range that will take an SD card with full UK OS mapping.

You don’t have to buy the maps on SD card now, but the best deals often include the full UK 1:50 maps at the time of purchase.

Why get the full maps?

It’s nice to see the alternatives as you pass by. Mmm I wonder where that good looking BW leads?

If you’re a roadie I’m sure you could manage with open source maps, but for mountain biking full OS mapping is the way to go.

Hth
    Marko

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’d just caution that following a gps route off road isn’t nearly as easy as you might expect.

Up in the lakes in the middle of a moor it’s pretty easy to glance down and know you want the left fork. In the woods at the meeting of 3 bridle ways or looking for a cheeky trail it can still be difficult. Screens are small and pretty low res, 1:50 maps dont have huge amounts of detail (and 1:25 very pricey – though not so bad if you just want a region). I didn’t get on with open streetmap (though probably much better now than s few years back).

It’s often a case of looking down and realising you’ve missed a turn (but still much quicker/less off course than going wrong with a map).

Also, don’t expect it to just work. GPX files don’t seem to be as much of a standard as you’d expect. Starting somewhere on a loop other than the original start point can be a faff.

It all works – just not as quick, simple or pain free as you’d hope IME

cp

I think the Etrex 30 is the first model in the range that will take an SD card with full UK OS mapping.

etrex 20 will support OS maps on an sdcard.

FWIW I much prefer OS maps, but a lot of folk rave about and prefer the OSM maps.

hora
    Free Member

actually that bundle deal linked by cp at goutdoors doesn’t seem bad does it?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Googles first result shows up at £115. Lots of “questionable” OS mapping on eBay.

richardthird

Get the 20 – Etrex (big, buttons) or Dakota (smaller, touchscreen). Download the free OS Style maps with contours overlaid (OSM based and better than OS imho) from talkytoaster.

Oh, and get some decent rechargeable AAs too.

Marko

I’d hunt around and see if you can get the Etrex 30 with full UK OS maps on a deal. I think the £20 voucher gets you a 10X10 Km square at 1:25?

Also, don’t expect it to just work. GPX files don’t seem to be as much of a standard as you’d expect.

I’ve never had a problem with the files I’ve created and uploaded. Biggest problem has always been Garmin’s software/interface. Calling it ‘clunky’ would be kind.

Hth
    Marko

devash
    Free Member

Get the eTrex 20 and download the Talky Toaster or Openstreetmaps Garmin maps. You don’t really need the OS maps. They are nice but very expensive and probably overkill for mountain biking.

eTrex 10 has a built in basemap which is practically useless, and you can’t install detailed maps.

cp

Also, don’t expect it to just work. GPX files don’t seem to be as much of a standard as you’d expect.

Never ever had a problem with my edge 800.

Starting somewhere on a loop other than the original start point can be a faff.

again, never had a problem with this – as long as I don’t hit ‘navigate to start’ it will pick up wherever you are en-route

cp

it’s not that great. the voucher doesn’t get you much and the unit is cheaper elsewhere.

Handtec have some tasty pricing on etrex 20 and 30, albeit ‘due in soon’. worth an email to them… they also have refurb’s 20’s for 100 quid.

Marko

Get the eTrex 20 and download the Talky Toaster or Openstreetmaps Garmin maps. You don’t really need the OS maps. They are nice but very expensive and probably overkill for mountain biking.

Sorry I don’t agree. I’ve tried the OSM maps before I had a Garmin that could take the proper OS maps. No contest if you ride off road, as there is not a single BW (in my area at least) on OSM maps.

Marko

hora
    Free Member

So buy the unit alone then get the maps from which website/url?

I need abit of handholding here 😀

poey50
    Free Member

The other factor in buying a GPS is mounting it on the bike. The mounts for the Etrex are poor. My Etrex 20 is currently hiding in the undergrowth at the Forest of Dean (or has found a new owner). I replaced it with a Garmin 810 and a much better mount.

cp

the maps have been suggested multiple times above – talkytoaster or garmin.openstreetmap.nl

HOWEVER, the Etrex20 comes with what Garmin describe as ‘TOPO UK & Ireland Light Map’. This is the Open Street Map for UK and Ireland – it will probably be good enough for what you describe you want.

cp

The other factor in buying a GPS is mounting it on the bike. The mounts for the Etrex are poor.

I dare not mention that a used edge 800 or 810 might be better for fear of making matters worse….!

better mount, bigger screen (albeit similar resolution) smaller unit

hora
    Free Member

Garmin 810

Thats getting too spendy though. Interms of the mount I’d use the standard mount and ghetto/ziptie/tape etc to ensure it stays. I’m sure Cumbrian sheep would approve 8)

hora
    Free Member

the maps have been suggested multiple times above – talkytoaster or garmin.openstreetmap.nl

If I buy from a German retailer and download above I should be fine? Thats another option.

The Luddite fear is I’ll only have the Black Forest to look at 😉 😀

andyg1966

Genuine Garmin mounts are fine for Etrex. Never dropped a GPS even in the Alps. Only downside is they’re zip tied on. Use a lanyard as a backup and peace of mind. Cheap ebay ones drop the unit.

Go for at least a 20 and if you can a 30. The 30 has barometric altimeter which means Strava (boo) gives more weight to the actual ascent figures abeit still low.

I use the etrex 30 and talkytoaster OSM maps and they’re great. I don’t think the OS maps will do ‘track up’ only ‘north up’, correct me if I’m wrong here.

Check out the new ‘x’ series with higher res screen

etrex30x

cp

‘ used’ was the key word 🙂

Etrex 20 will be fine, get one from anywhere and you’ll be able to get local mapping for free via the open street map links.

Marko

The mounts for the Etrex are poor.

And yet I can’t get mine off! This seems to be another random thing. Never lost mine once, but I always have a lanyard on it just in case.

Hora,

If you can’t run to a GPS with full UK maps I’d at least get the Etrex 20 and then you have the option to upgrade to OS maps in the future.

Hth
    Marko

smurfly13
    Free Member

Before you buy, see if go outdoors sell it. They will match and beat ANY online price by 10%!

On the maps front I have OS, Garmin City Nav and open street maps. In comparison I much prefer the Open street maps. They are clearly, better detail and very accurate where I have been.

Download at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl and I think the routeable bike openFietsMap look the best for formatting and colours on the Etrex and Edge

richardthird

By cheeky trail, do you mean footpath? Yes, these will appear on both OS and other widely available maps. Clever in’it.

andytherocketeer

FWIW I much prefer OS maps, but a lot of folk rave about and prefer the OSM maps.

bonus of OSM maps is they cover outside of the UK.
    nothing stopping the switching between OS in UK and OSM of course.

No contest if you ride off road, as there is not a single BW (in my area at least) on OSM maps.

must be pretty remote.
    round here, OSM has more detail than a paper map.
    never had any issue last time I was in the Cairngorms either.

get all my maps from that garmin.openstreetmap.nl site

hora
    Free Member

Question.. Can they do roads too? UK and other? Obviously without sound. It’d be great to have a dual purpose use.

smurfly13
    Free Member

The OSM roads are good, and it will also route you on the roads giving you say Nav type instructions.

IIRC the Etrex 30 routes to a given location but struggled to plot a known route on roads with directions of there is too many waypoints

Marko

must be pretty remote

Nope Wye Valley. Even some of the minor roads are wrong.

I think the big issue with any map that’s not OS is the legal status of the route you are following. At least with the OS map you can wave it at Mr Red Socks/irate land owner and point out your legal right to be there – or not as the case maybe 😆

Marko

thepodge
    Free Member

I think the big issue with any map that’s not OS is the legal status of the route you are following. At least with the OS map you can wave it at Mr Red Socks/irate land owner and point out your legal right to be there – or not as the case maybe

Except thats not correct, and OS have a disclaimer telling you as much.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Etrex10 pre purchase thoughts’ is closed to new replies.