Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Garmin Edge200 not connecting to my Mac – any help out there?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

I’ve been on the Garmin support forums but no joy so far…..

When I plug it in to the Mac, it’s charging but the Mac just doesn’t see it at all, so I can’t sync it…..

Any ideas??

😀

allfankledup

How many usb devices do you have mounted as drives ?

Sometimes get this when plugging in the garmin. Either reboot your mac, or drop a temp disk I.e external storage to let garmin get uploaded to garmin connect

slackboy

happens to me sometimes, this is what I do to sort

1) plug directly into mac, not via a usb hub
    2) make sure the garmin is turned off before you connect it

if that doesn’t work re-start the mac and start from fresh

Superficial
    Free Member

Does it appear in disk utility?

Poopscoop

Is it new?

If it isn’t are you sure there is no corrosion to the mini USB socket? If there is you might see some blue/green oxide on the normally gold contacts.

That said, first thing I would do is try it on a second PC. If it won’t play ball on a Windows setup, the USB issue is liking even more likely.

Oh, try another USB lead of course, though I’m sure you have.

velocipede
    Free Member

OK, so here goes:

Tried another lead. No different.
    Plugged into a Windows PC – I can see it no problem.
    Doesn’t appear in disk utility on the mac
    No other USB devices, hubs, etc are being used

Tearing my hair out now (what little I’ve got!)

Poopscoop

Hi mate.

It’s sort of good news really. At least the hardware is ok.

Not sure how it applies to the 200 but on other Garmin I’ve heard of a reset sorting similar issues.

Never used a Mac so I’m little help with that specifically. 🙁

Poopscoop

Oh, out of curiosity, if you plug a memory stick into the Mac, does it see it?

RustyMac

Check you have the latest update of Garmin connect, it doesn’t seem toauto update or tell you when a newer version is available you have to go in an manually scan for an updated version.

flannol
    Free Member

Yeah that ^ I seem to remember I had an issue with it when I started using it on new mac a while ago, had to install garmin software (which I didn’t have to do on old windows PC so it didn’t even cross my mind) and it has worked since.

The garmin software is awesome anyway, runs completely in the background (has never, ever popped anything up) and auto-syncs to garmin connect (which I have strava auto-pull data from) as soon as you plug the device in. Really awesome stuff

RustyMac

Coincidentally i have had issues with my garmin car sat nav this evening, seems the old cable that came with it my be goosed – all i get is device not found but i tried my garmin edge cable and it worked fine.

Poopscoop

Sounds like you guys might have nailed it for him. Fingers crossed!

wilburt
    Free Member

Most likely the lead IME.

velocipede
    Free Member

OK, here’s an update:

Mac works ok with a memory stick so USB’s ok
    Latest Garmin software downloaded, still no good

Anyway I gave up last night as none of the changes had worked and by 1am I was sick of it!!

Guess what – plugged it in just now and it worked!!! What that’s all about, I’ve no idea!

Thanks for all the help – one of the changes must have made the difference, I’m just not sure now which one!

Poopscoop

Did you turn it off, then on again? 😀

Joking aside, a reboot might have sorted the issue. On Win pc’s at least it’s become a cliche for good reason.

Anyway, glad it’s sorted mate. If it happens again, try and note the steps you took to cure it so you can replicate them if/when it happens again.

velocipede
    Free Member

The one thing I tried, not listed above, that I thnk might have actually done the trick, was put it in the airing cupboard for an hour!
    I’d been on a really wet ride so wondered if there was damp on the connectors – may just have been that!?

Poopscoop

The last thing you describe I have definitely read about, regarding Garmin’s so it’s possible.

Mind you, it works on the Windows pc…

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP as its Star Wars season I think you just “used the force”

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge200 not connecting to my Mac – any help out there?’ is closed to new replies.