Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Garmin Edge won't connect to the computer….anyone any ideas?
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

Last week my Garmin Edge 800 started to not be recognised by my computers (but it still charges) and I get the message XM receiver is not supported. I’ve had a quick Google and it seems it’s a common problem. I have tried the soft boot and force boot steps but to no avail. One forum they recommended holding the power and up button when connecting the USB (but there is no up button). Some have suggested spaying WD40 in the port which sounds a bit dangerous. Anyone got a cunning idea before I have to send it back to Garmin. (It’s got a month’s worth of rides I don’t want to lose). Thx.

flumewelck
    Free Member

Had the same problem and just plugged it into a different port.

iolo
    Free Member

I have it quite often with my fenix 3.
    If I restart the computer with it connected, it normally finds it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Stupid question this but… Have you use the right USB for it?

I had an issue a few months back having the same problem, turned out I’d used another USB which looked the same as the Garmin one..

Try that.

mudshark
    Free Member

Any corrosion in the port? I had this issue and eventually had to pay for a reconditioned unit.

alexh
    Free Member

As above, I’d plugged in my cable for charging my light, and not the Garmin cable.

I found this out after wiping the Garmin

RoterStern
    Free Member

Had the same problem and just plugged it into a different port.
    Nope. I’ve tried that already as well as several different computers.

If I restart the computer with it connected, it normally finds it.

Unfortunately that doesn’t work either.

Stupid question this but… Have you use the right USB for it?

No sure it’s the right one. In fact I have two USB cables for it and neither work.

Any corrosion in the port? I had this issue and eventually had to pay for a reconditioned unit.

Not that I can see but the Google search revealed that that is the most likely reason. I did have a very wet ride a few weeks ago but have uploaded since then without any issues. When you say reconditioned unit do you mean the port or the whole device? How much did it cost if you don’tmnd saying?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Have you got a lot of rides logged on the garmin?
    Try clearing it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I just use Wifi to connect mine these days. When Garmin Connect is working, that is…..Grrrr.

njee20
    Free Member

Edge 1000 FTW. Ride uploads whilst I hang the bike in the garage!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As long as you leave your wifi on while riding, Njee. I prefer to turn mine off, better battery life. Easy enough to switch it back on to upload.

mattyfez

Use a proper usb port rather than a hub, also, front ports on a pc are sometimes ‘hubs’.. Try plugging it into a main usb port on the back of the pc.

It could equally be a bad cable though.. If they are bent and wrapped tight they can fail if it’s a cheap thin cable.

vincienup
    Free Member

Garmin seem to be up to something.

Connect has been a bit hit and miss for me recently, apparently classic mode in connect is going in January which I’m expecting to break my Dakota for anything other than exporting gpx via Base Camp (express doesn’t want to know about it)

There’s been much muttering about anyone Tring to link Garmin Connect and Strava accounts over the last month or so finding it to be broken too.

I love their kit, bu the attitude to the client software and tools sucks.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Try a different cable, yes, another different cable. Note that some are only charging cables and not data transfer cable.

Have you tried starting Garmin Express “manually” I.e. frm he start menu/apps list?

Full re boot computer.

These have all helped me with my Edge 1000.

gary

Mine has been in the same state since a very wet ride in the summer – tried most of the things you’ve described, including a variety of attempts to try and clean up the contacts to no avail.

Currently sending all rides to the memory card and resigned to seeing whether Garmin can offer any help when I get a chance to call them.

Which is not much help, unless it helps you to avoid wasting more time fiddling with it 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Recondition unit is the standard response from Garmin for a broken unit out of warranty – My replacement 800 cost me £75 – this is the 2nd replacement and not sure I will want a 4th unit when the time comes, depends how long this one lasts I suppose. These units are not as waterproof as Garmin would have you believe – at least they are not good at dealing with water. When they get wet need to let them dry out completely before connecting a cable.

My rides are written to my SD card now so I should always be able to get at them if the cable connection becomes a problem.

Origin_Al

Had a similar problem with a Forerunner 305, the unit would charge and worked fine but would not upload. Tried new lead and cradle and resetting device with no joy. E mailed Garmin support (great response within the hour) who suggested uninstalling and reinstalling Garmin Express which solved the problem.

RoterStern
    Free Member

So it looks like I’m going to have to send the unit to Garmin. I have activities saved to memory card now but is there anyway I can save the previous three weeks rides so I can upload them to Strava?

Rod

I’ve had the same issue occasionally and all the time now. One solution is to press and hold the reset button on your Garmin while you plug the USB cable in (and keep holding it). After a short while, it will enter mass storage mode and you can upload your rides (on strava, you then need to upload from file rather than device).

Dibbs
    Free Member

I just use Wifi to connect mine these days.

That’s a good trick, the Edge 800 doesn’t have WiFi (that’s why I gave mine to my son). 😛

I recently had a problem with my 810 connecting, I tried a drop of WD40 in the port and working the plug in and out a few times to clean the contacts, but in the end changing the USB cable cured it, the old one was pretty old (at least 7 years).

Flaperon

Try giving the USB port a spray of contact cleaner (not WD40…). 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

Thanks mudshark. I’ll give that a go when I get home.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge won't connect to the computer….anyone any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.