Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin Edge Users – Advice Needed on Maps Please
  • hitman
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying the garmin Edge 705 or 800 for use mainly on my road bike in this country and on Continental Europe. There’s a thought I may use it for MTBing as well. So, which maps do I go for on this? Is it the Garmin GB Discoverer map plus Europe City map?
    Any advice much appreciated.

DavidB
    Free Member

I would use the free Openstreet maps.

http://openmtbmap.org/

The OS maps don’t look good on the Edge 80 IMHO as they are bitmapped and don’t zoom well.

hitman
    Free Member

David, cheers for that. So if I go off to Europe on my road bike can I take the whole coverage or do i have to decide a route in advance?
    And it’s free?
    Cheers

DavidB
    Free Member

I have the whole of UK, France and Italy loaded onto an SD card taking about 930Mb could easily get more.

Yes it is 100% free. Off-road coverage can be sketchy, but that is where you come in. Ride the trail then go back online and fill in the gaps for other users.

hitman
    Free Member

David, excellent stuff. How big and what type of SD card do you need to do that?
    Do you thnk its mainly suited to mtbing or will it be good for my road bike too?
    cheers

Dogsby

Hitman,

I have recently bought a Garmin 800 and am really impressed with it.

If you are cycling in the UK the OS mapping is excellent and I have not had any issues with it on or off road. The only drama overall is when it rains. Mine leaked and I had to dry it out and reading the screen is difficult in the rain and especially off-road when there is mud involved. Buy screen protectors!!

I downloaded the free mapping from openmtb and found the UK street mapping okay. When I tried to plan a route in France I found it was missing lots of the minor roads so I bought the Garmin mapping for France only and it seems excellent.

When navigating on road the OS or street mapping works similarly to a TomTom in that it recognises that you are on a road and will navigate you through your route with a series of beeps and navigation screens. When you are off road it does not recognise tracks and bridleways so is a bit more difficult especially at speed.

Overall; very impressive but I would advise OS and Garmin maps.

Dogsby

hitman
    Free Member

Dogsby
    if you look at DCRainmaker’s blog, I’m sure he immerses the Garmin 800 in a bath and it doesn’t leak – sounds like you have a faulty one there and should send back.
    Think I’ll buy the City naviagation map for Europe, as in the mountains I may be crossing out of France at times.
    Cheers

JustGoRide
    Free Member

We had a look at the types of maps available for the Edge 800. have a read here..

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Articles/Item.aspx?id=119

There’s a step be step guide to loading on custom maps.

You can get some great mapping for free, it just depends how hands on you want to get loading them on!

Dogsby

Hitman,

There was slight leakage to the rear ports where the mini-USB connecter and micro-SD card slot are. Pretty sure I closed them properly before the ride but you can never be sure. I dryed it out and it had worked fine ever since. I did the Evans Ride-It on Sat in the Cotswolds where the weather was ridiculously wet and muddy and on inspection afterwards the ports were fine. I just need to keep an eye on them.

Dogsby

kevin1911

Does anyone else find that the little rubber cover for the USB port is a real pain to get seated properly?

rickmeister

Really curious about the Edge 800.. how usefull have people found it for MTB in the Alps… or is something else better?

m1kea
    Free Member

The 705 doesn’t come with OS mapping and I don’t know if it will take maps intended for the 800? – I’m sure there are some enterprising souls who’ve made such things work if you know what I mean….. 😉

The 705 happily talks to 4GB cards and I’m going to try some of the UK OSM versions on a card. I’ve had no problems downloading topo maps for New England for when we’ve skied there.

clubber
    Free Member

I have a 605 – basically the same as a 705 for this purpose.

I’ve got the garmin topo maps but I’ve just downloaded the OSM from TalkyToaster. For where I ride and where I looked, they actually look a lot better than the Topomaps.

http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

Does anyone else find that the little rubber cover for the USB port is a real pain to get seated properly?

Mine fell off yesterday while riding 👿 anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge Users – Advice Needed on Maps Please’ is closed to new replies.