• This topic has 32 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Garmin Edge 800 screen cracks – Not very happy!!!
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm not very happy with my new Garmin from Wiggle:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=14493

Have had a problem with a very small chip occurring at the edge of the screen – it has not been dropped or in an accident and is similar to the guys here on the Garmin forums above.

Email Wiggle with the images on request and they said:

Thank you for your email.

I have checked with our returns department and unfortunately this problem will not come under the Garmin warranty as they do not cover screens that have been chipped.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards

James Braid

Wiggle Customer Services

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just send it back without emailing them again, i bet you its gets sorted and they just send another out…

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think I shall be getting a bit more arsy and pushy if this doesn’t get resolved – credit card refund maybe?

Jase
    Free Member

Surely though its not fit for purpose so can be returned regardless of what their warrant does or doesn’t cover.

Janesy
    Free Member

Makes me wonder about selling the 705, No problems like this. on here by the way! 🙂
    need the money.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-garmin-edge-705-with-hr-maps

uplink
    Free Member

It has nothing to do with Garmin, you have a contract with Wiggle & none at all with Garmin

Whether or not they take a cracked screen as a faulty unit or not will be the problem

geoffj

Of course Wiggle should sort it out for you, but I’ve always gone direct Garmin UK and they have been excellent. I’d try that route.

Give them a call on 01794 519944

foxyrider
    Free Member

sorry number is not recognised geoff – And yes I don’t think it is fit for purpose! 👿

uplink
    Free Member
    wwaswas

point wiggle at that thread – they’ve clearly replaced others under similar circumstances?

crazy-legs

Number not recognised cos it’s wrong!

0870 850 1242

Correct number for Garmin customer support. Just go direct to them, they’re very helpful – one of the reasons I’d buy Garmin again without any hesitation.

geoffj

Ooops – thats an old number that used to go straight through. Hopefully one of these should work.

For all of United Kingdom users and customers in unlisted countries in Europe, Africa and Middle East
    Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 17:30 PM Western European Time (GMT/UTC)
    Phone (freephone from UK landline): 0808 238 0000
    Phone (within UK): 0870 850 1242
    Phone (outside UK): +44 870 850 1242

foxyrider
    Free Member

Phoned Garmin – they said send it and they’ll sort it – cheers guys 🙂

Thanks Wiggle for noffin!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Email from wiggle:

Thank you for your email.

OK, apologies we could not be of more help on this occasion.

Regards

James Braid

Wiggle Customer Services

It has nothing to do with Garmin, you have a contract with Wiggle & none at all with Garmin

True but sometimes you have to go upward to go forward 🙁

simonm
    Free Member

Ive just got one of these, can you explain how the chip occurs ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I was cleaning the mud out of the gap at the bottom – between the “carbon effect” shell and the glass screen as I would my old 705 unit – the screen chipped due to the bits of dirt and is now delaminating – I would say do not go near the edge of the screen/gap – clean it with a brush / water? Maybe I am one of only a few with this problem – i.e. early adopters?

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm, how old was it? Used mine for the first time today, must say I am a bit concerned about dirt/grit scratching the screen.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got it 3-4 weeks ago – I will use a screen protector when I source a 800 specif one – when I get it back that is. Sorry I don’t mean to worry others – I think its a problem with mine/a few of them 🙂 My mates one he got the same week as me seems fine?

simonm
    Free Member

mmm, interesting, can you let us know if you find a screen protector.

Cheers.

foxyrider
    Free Member

OK no probs – my mate FBK is looking as well 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW – looks like my Edge 800 has been replaced and is on the way back from Garmin!

RMA Number: 3028***
    RMA creation date: 14 December 2010
    Shipping address:

* GB

Product: Repair of Edge 800

foxyrider
    Free Member

New 800 – boxed turned up today – Thanks Garmin 🙂

DaveGr
    Free Member

Garmin 800 screen protector

More spec details here

Just got one and it seems to do the job OK. Also use the Garmin silicon cover. However, even using the two, there is still the gap where the dirt could get in the side of the screen but this seems to be the best protection at the moment. Used the 800 yesterday in light drizzle using winter gloves and it worked OK. Also there is a software update available on the Garmin site.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers Dave. I just traced a template for the screen as I have a phone one I can cut down to size – I’ll upload it when I get it scanned. I got the silicone case already. The new unit seems to have a MUCH smaller gap then my old one so…? Already updated the Firmware 😉

My 705 survived 2 washes in the washing machine – came up a treat so I can vouch for at least the 705 waterproofing 😉

mattlondon
    Free Member

How good is the screen cover at reducing glare? I have to keep the brightness turned up high on my 800 to be able to see it.

DT78
    Free Member

Well, last night I noticed I have had exactly the same thing happen to the edge of my 800’s screen about a cm long 1mm wide chip.

Will be phoning Garmin direct rather than bothering CRC.

From Googling looks like a common problem with the first batch (mines is one of the first 2000 made)

I hope Garmin will stand by their product like they did for Foxy.

DT78
    Free Member

Well, it turns out that Garmin are just round the corner from me so will be popping it into the service centre tomorrow lunch to get it looked over!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh they were spot on – the gap seems smaller on the newer units but the screen is the same so go careful!

Clong
    Free Member

Does that mean your a forest dweller DT78?

DT78
    Free Member

Clong – nearly, southampton based, can’t afford forest prices 🙁

Popped into Garmin yesterday, seems a really nice company, hopefully I’ll get a repair or replacement before the end of the week

foxyrider
    Free Member

my mates one also has a chip – me thinks they maybe getting quite a few returns?

DT78
    Free Member

Yea seems like a bit of a design flaw in the early batches.

I’m sure they will sort it, it’s a bit disappointing really on a otherwise amazing bit of kit.

DT78
    Free Member

Well just ot ensure any one else reading this isn’t put off an 800 – I picked up a brand new unit from Garmin, new screen design is slightly different, looks to be a smaller gap and the outside slightly raised so shouldn’t have the same chipping issue.

Very impressed with the customer service, sorted in 48 hours and I didn’t even have to show them a receipt to prove purchase…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 800 screen cracks – Not very happy!!!’ is closed to new replies.