Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Garmin Edge 520 vs. Polar v650
  • drotos
    Free Member

I’m interested in bike computers, because I’d like to replace my Suunto Ambit 2. I thought, the Polar v650 would be OK… until yesterday. Why should I choose the Polar v650 over the Edge 520? Any reason?

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Same here I’m waiting to upgrade from my Garmin 200. Think the Garmin Edge 520 will be all I ever need.

drotos
    Free Member

So… Polar is failed again with their new bike computer?! I want to give them a new chance, but hard to find any reason to buy the v650.

zilog6128

There’s a pre-release review on the DC Rainmaker site, and he says he’s currently testing the retail unit so I guess an updated review will be out soon.

I really don’t see the appeal of this over the Garmin though. Less features, way bigger (too big for MTB I’d have thought), no Strava integration. Plus it’s their first bike computer of this kind whereas obviously Garmin are old hands. Plus for anyone who already has Garmin stuff it looks like the Polar will be incompatible with all their existing mounts/sensors.

On the other hand the 520 looks like it’ll be excellent! (As long as the software is solid)

drotos
    Free Member

On the other hand the 520 looks like it’ll be excellent! (As long as the software is solid)

– I think the same. Are there anything on the Polar’s side? 😀

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I may be missing it on the website, but is navigation included on the 520?
    If it is included is it an on map display rather than just arrows?
    Would like geocaching features too (great for when we are out with Little Miss TTP).

zilog6128

AFAIK there is mapping & navigation on the 520 but not routing i.e. you have the plan the routes on your computer and upload them rather than get the device to make you a route on the fly.

No geocaching unfortunately according to DCR review.

CraigW
    Free Member

Seems its very limited memory on the Edge 520, you won’t fit much of a map on it.

zilog6128

True, although there’s enough space for the entire area I ride locally plus select areas of Wales which would cover 99.9% of my riding! If I went anywhere else I could just change the maps as required. Not great for touring though I suppose.

ransos
    Free Member

AFAIK there is mapping & navigation on the 520 but not routing i.e. you have the plan the routes on your computer and upload them rather than get the device to make you a route on the fly.

If it’s the same as the 500, it will give you turn-by-turn navigation for a pre-installed route. It works pretty well but isn’t very flexible – as you say you can’t just head off or make a detour and expect it to work.

drotos
    Free Member

And what about the navigation of the Polar v650?

tsurani
    Free Member

DC has uploaded a decent video showing the 520. It shows and talks about the maps a bit

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 520 vs. Polar v650’ is closed to new replies.