Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Garmin Edge – 305 or 500?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m thinking about a Garmin Edge for use as a cycle computer/HRM/training aid but not sure which model is best suited to the role.

Has anyone used a 305 or a 500 and able to suggest a reason for choosing either? Both seem to be available for the same kind of money so it is just down to features I guess

Cheers

geoffj

Very similar. Some minor (disputed) navigation feature differences.
    I had a 305 and now have a 705. I’d go for the 500 for the longer battery life and ANT+ support.

lucien

Navigation on 305 is poor, as is the Garmin mapping (not sure on the 800?) – the 500 doesn’t try to include mapping so makes it a small unit, that gives essential data plus downloadable to a variey of different applications.

turboferret

I love my 500, certainly much neater than the previous incarnations I’ve played with, and pretty much looks like a normal cycle computer.

While there isn’t any real mapping function, ie it doesn’t have any built-in maps, you can upload CRS files and follow a breadcrumb trail (which zooms in and out automatically depending on bends etc) which I’ve found very useful.

Does pretty much everything I would want it to, what might swing it is whether you would ever want to use it off the bike as the wrist strap (extra part) doesn’t look particularly great. Battery has never been less than about 60% after a pretty long ride, although I don’t use any ANT devices with it.

Very good in-depth review here.

Cheers, Rich

matthew_h
    Free Member

Looks like the 500 is the one that will suit me best I think.

Cheers for the tips chaps

dobo
    Free Member

500 looks great but im currently using a 705 which has half decent map functions, not as good as the 800 but the point is that you can get ‘free’ routable maps online which are perfectly adequate for road and bridleway stuff which might make the 705 nearer your budget

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge – 305 or 500?’ is closed to new replies.